Author Topic: Is this texture aversion?  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Is this texture aversion?
« on: April 25, 2006, 23:06:57 pm »
HI

I have been getting more concerned about DD eating and lack of choices.  I thought once she got more teeth she would take more choices but she is getting more picky vs less. 

Below is a table of what she will eat and more of what she won't...does anyone have experience w/ Texture aversion and offer any direction or assistance?

Thanks in advance.
PS: weight wise she was doing great. Then at 18 month check lost 2 lbs in 1 month weighing in at 24lbs.  6 wks later she hasn't gained it back.

Whole grain - Crackers, Bread, Rolls, Cereal bar, Cheerios, Cream wheat, Chex, Waffles, Muffins,
Sometimes: Pasta w/ cheese or butter, Sandwich
NOT: Tortillas w/ cheese

Veg: All stage 2 veg
Sometimes: French fry, Carrots (2xs)
NOT: any finger food veg, mash potatoes even!

Milk - Milk, yogurt Soy

Protien - Cheese - always
Some times/used to: avocado, Tofu cubes, Egg: poached or scrambled egg or hard boiled, chicken fingers
Not: meatball or ground beef, Beans - like lentils, split peas, pintos, black beans/White fish or fish fingers/chicken

Fruit - Raisins, peach (can), pear (can), cantaloupe, melon, watermelon, apple piece Gerber
NOT: Banana, Fresh apple (cooked)

Offline KathyM

• Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Is this texture aversion?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 15:51:56 pm »
I have a very similar issue with my ds. His list of food choices looks very much like your list. He will eat Stage 2 veggies, but will not eat finger food veggies. He very rarely eats meat, but will eat cheese, yogurt, and fruit, and lots of bready things. When something new is introduced, he doesn't even put it in his mouth, he picks it up and throws it off his tray. It's almost like it's more about what he's used to versus that he doesn't like it.

At his 18 month check-up my pediatrician referred him to an occupational therapist to see if it was a sensory thing. They came and did the evaluation and here are a few things they asked about. The main things they asked about were temperature, texture, and color....and also his reaction to new things. For my ds, temperature and texture don't seem to be too much trouble because of the things he currently eats and the fact that he will touch the food. It's hard to say if he truly has a texture problem because the food doesn't even go in his mouth. It's not like he tries to eats it and then is disgusted by the texture in his mouth, KWIM? When I made a list of his foods, they were all the same color...pretty bland. He likes breads, orange veggies, yogurt, cheese. Lots of things were orange or brownish.

They mentioned taking baby steps when introducing new things. My first goal is just to have a new food on the tray without it being removed. They suggested starting with one thing, like cooked carrots, and trying to put them on the tray every day to see if he would get used to it. I have a followup appointment with them, but I haven't had that yet.

I hope this is helpful, I'm rambling a bit...how does your dd respond to new foods? This particular issue has had me worried for a long time and I can totally relate to your post. I worry about it endlessly and at the same time, it's frustrating.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 16:18:41 pm »
Hi! 
I can relate to your post as well.  Our ds will not eat meat other than fish fingers and some lunch meats and sausage.  I think it is a texture issue, but since he will eat some out of the meat category pediatricians don't really consider it a problem.  He also likes refried beans if its in a burrito.  Also I read from a website a check list on how to dtermine if your child is just a "picky eater" vs. a "problem feeder".  The main thing was that picky eaters will eat 30 or more different foods.  Problem feeders will only eat 20 or less.  It looks like your dd is right around 30 and you probably could think of more to add.  They also said that I problem feeder will food jag on a certain thing and then refuse to eat it even after you give it a rest for 2 weeks or so.  They will not reaquire the lost food.  A picky eater will generally reaquire it given time.  Also lots of the same nutrients in fruits and veggies so don't worry too much.  Here is the site address:
See pg 12 of 27.
http://www.gerber.com/content/usa/html/pages/pediatricbasics/pdffiles/PedBasics_100.pdf

Julie

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 16:25:02 pm »
Kathy,
I think we are talking about the same kid!  DD loves cheese, yogurt, orange veggies, yellow/red/white fruit and brown bready things too!!  She will touch the new food with her finger and if it doesn't pass the touch test, then forget it!  She also wont eat food unless it is cold or room temp, even the slightest bit warm and it is on the menu for that meal.  She wont even try new things unless they look similar too what she usually eats.  I have been trying wheat tortillas (since brown) w/ cheese inside and she will take a bit, then spit out the tortilla since you need to chew it well before it becomes mushy and bread like KWIM?  

From what you said the temp and color thing ring true for DD too.  

Jubee, I will have a look at that sight...I'll also try the refried beans for an additional protien source.

It is the lack protein/meat/fat i am concerned about most and since she is Dairy intollertant she takes rice milk (hardly any fat, so i add flax seed oil) and goats cheese.

It is always so nice to know you aren't the only one :-)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 18:13:29 pm »
 :( I think dd eats less than 20 different foods, must do a count later but she certainly doesn't do as much as Meg and she definetly has texture issues. She will not pick up anything that is really wet or slippy like fruit or veg so I get fruit into her pureed in yog, and veg I hide in quiche but she eats that rarely. She will only eat chicken or fish if it's breaded but on the other hand she has werid taste and will eat cold pasta(slippy!) with ham or garlic salami with only the water the pasta was cooked in as a sauce! She used to eat meat in the form of meatballs but has refused them the last 3 times I gave them so have taken them off the menu for a while. She does not respond well to new food and will not even taste it which makes meal times very hard, we have a rotation of 3 meals-all pasta based so thats pasta and ham, pasta and salami and pasta and alphabet soup, these are for dinner and lunch! Today I made macaroni cheese, told her it was Daddies pasta so she was all excited, when I put it in front of her she knew by looking at it it was different and despite my eating it would not even taste it. We have had food battles going on since she was 12 months old- I stopped them and try to give her what she wants as otherwise she really wont eat. At our 18 month check up though our paed didn't seem worried but now I think maybe I should be more concerned???

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 20:10:44 pm »
Well I think Peter definitely fits the problem eater category....he maybe eats around 10 different foods.  He to doesn't eat any veg finger foods.  He will pick things up but if he doesn't like the way it feels he won't but it near his mouth.  Just this week he start refusing the few fruits he will eat, although I am hopeful that is just related to his cold and eye teeth otherwise will be down to 5 foods.  Every time I try to ask the doctor or public health nurse about it that say that it isn't really a problem - I think that is because his weight gain is very good.  Looks like I will need to push the issue a bit at his next check up.  I must say though, not that I wish anyone so much trouble in feeding their lo's, it is nice to know I am not alone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 20:13:00 pm by Pete's Mom »
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 02:59:42 am »
thanks everyone, there is something special about knowing your kid isn't the only one (also feel like it isn't something YOU are doing wrong either).  8)

Kathy, any other tips the OT gave you?  How is your plan working (offering the new food w/o being removed).  DD used to throw it off her tray too, but i swashed that by telling her harshly we don't throw food and if she did it again i took the tray way.  It was usually the end of the meal anyway.

Since protien and veg are the biggest issue i have decided to offer for the next 2 weeks solid - scrambled egg at breakfast, sandwich w/ PB at lunch & carrots and beans w/ dinner along w/ her food i know she likes.  I will let you know how she gets on.

I would be interested to see a list of what foods your LO will eat and maybe other LOs will too since we all have the picky eaters.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:13:05 am »
Ok here is a list of what dd eats, it's actually a bit scary to see it written down

Weetabix, Ready Brek( oat based cereal),toast, crakers, breadsticks, pasta, ham, salami, turkey, cheddar cheese and small amount cream cheese on cracker,plain yogurt with fruit puree( mango, melon, pear,raisin, strawberry, apricot and peach but will not eat fruit in any other form), alpahbet soup,pancakes,breaded chicken( v small amount), mini pizza with tiny bit of squashed tomato and ham, and until recently would eat meatballs( pork or beef mince). She also eats quiche occasionally and I get to puree a small amount of cauliflower and broccoli into this.

I have tried making my own soups, no go, yesterday made macaroni and cheese, she wouldnt taste it, today was chinese corn and chicken soup, she had 3 teaspoons! I think there is almost nothing I haven't tried!

Fiona

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 20:41:22 pm »
Okay here is our list too

Bready foods: Pizza, tortillas, bread, cheesy garlic bread, grilled cheese sand, cinamon rolls, (donuts >:(), blueberry muffins, bannana bread, cereal, pasta salad, cookies,crackers,chips :(, cereal bars.

Protein: beans, fish fillets breaded, mac n cheese, sausage, chicken breaded (sometimes), sliced turkey or ham (sometimes)

Milk:  Lots of whole milk, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, sour cream (in burritos), nacho cheese sauce

Veg: Brocoli w/ cheese sauce,mashed potatoes, french fries, salad, avocado (mashed into gaucamole to dip with tortilla chips.

Fruit: bannanas, grapes, strawberries, peaches, cherries, dried gerber fruit

Anything that is a sweet or salty snack/dessert food :(
Our ds will pick up and taste new foods most of the time, but he'll spit it out if he doesn't like it.
What do you all do when you are eating at a friends house and lo won't eat what they are cooking?  Do you bring something separate or let them go without until you get home if they choose not to eat?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 20:51:36 pm by jubee »
Julie

Offline KathyM

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 17:24:52 pm »
I've been putting cooked carrots out there at dinner time to see if he would let them be there and possibly, one day, actually eat one.  I've discovered that if it's on the tray in front of him when he first sits down, it can stay. But if I add it to the tray after he already starts eating, it's rejected. So right now, the cooked carrots just sit there and hopefully he'll get used to the idea and eventually eat one. I already know he likes carrots, because he loves them out of the jar...so here's hoping.

The other thing the OT said was not to follow the advice of "If he's hungry enough, he'll eat it" sort of thing. She said that's not the reason he's not eating new things, that I need to set small goals and be patient and not try to force the issue. She was actually encouraged by the number of things he'll eat...she thought there was a lot to work with. I was surprised to hear that, so I guess it could be worse.

I give Gavin a vitamin supplement in the morning and he still nurses twice a day, so I try to not worry about it so much, but easier said than done. I'll let you know about the follow-up appointment, I'm on a wait-list for the next visit.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 17:37:40 pm »
Kathy,

The other thing the OT said was not to follow the advice of "If he's hungry enough, he'll eat it" sort of thing. She said that's not the reason he's not eating new things, that I need to set small goals and be patient and not try to force the issue. She was actually encouraged by the number of things he'll eat...she thought there was a lot to work with. I was surprised to hear that, so I guess it could be worse.

Glad to hear this is the case.  I know that no matter how hungry ds is if I gave him exactly what we were having for dinner he would not eat.  So like you we will keep on trying.  Ds does eat a good amount of things, but not nearly what other toddlers do.  He had trouble with eating table food from the get go.  Lots of gagging, but our ped was never concerned enough.  He has come a long way, but we have a ways still to go.  Thanks for posting the advice you have gotten.  Much appreciated!
Julie
Julie

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 18:14:30 pm »
Delighted to hear not to take the if they are hungry... attitude, I don't cos I know even if dd is starving she still won't eat anything except her normal meals. Julie we had a very hard time transitioning to table food too, I used to blame it on her reflux in the sense that she started so late. She ate everything up until about 12 months but it was all pureed.
Fiona

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 15:33:11 pm »
Okay!
we went to neighbors last night for a BBQ.  Their 2.5 yr old dd was eating shrimp stuffed with jalapeno pepper and cheese wrapped in bacon.  What I would give for our ds to eat "whatever I cooked".  Boy oh boy, makes me wonder where I went wrong?  Thought you could relate!
Julie

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 23:04:53 pm »
Jubee - i can relate!  we never go out for a meal w/o packing Megan's food since her menu is soo limited.

leahsmom - i strongly agree, the if they are hungry they will eat - does NOT apply to our kids.

I have made some progress, looked into this issue more and i thought it might help others.  I spoke to Meg's Ped again and faxed him her menu so he could see how limited it was.  His first concern was about the lack of fat in her diet (from speaking to mom's who have children who have / are getting therapy for sensory/texture aversion - this is key...along w/ gettng in their total calories for the day...even if it is not from a balanced diet).  Her Ped put her on 1 pediasure a day and said let's wait. 

While we waited i decided to try a few things.  I picked food that was similar to what she would eat and focus on the gaps (meats, veg, fat, protein).  I put the item of the week - on her tray every day for two weeks.  Eg: scrabbled egg at breakfast, peanut butter at lunch and pasta at dinner.  I didn't care if she ate it or not.  Well we have had lots of successes :-).  She will now eat pasta w/ Alfredo sauce, eggs (scrambled sometimes and usually hardboiled but only the yoke) and yesterday she ate Peas!  This was the first time she has ever shown interest in a veg that wasn't purred.  I was soo excited i wanted to cry over peas!

I also spoke to a few moms who have children w/ sensory issues and they all agreed: this will not go away on it own and i should not wait to get help.  I didn't realise that if in the US and have a child (under 3yrs of age) w/ developmental delays, you can get tons of help.  In the US it is called Early Intervention Program, every state has one.  So i have called and we will soon be assigned a case worker so Megan can have an evaluation. 

I also found a great web site, but it is at my other pc so i will post it later.

I don't want to scare any of you, but my recommendation would be:
1) put together a table of what your child will eat (by food group) and review it w/ your ped (again if necessary)
2) if you think there is an issue, then act and don't delay.  If you don't have any joy w/ your ped, then search out help w/o him.  I have found they don't really address issues other then common cold or serious health issues.

HTH!

PS: Megan as also shown interest in my salad (trimming up for summer) but all she does is suck on the lettuce....any one have ideas on how i can use this info to introduce something she may like?  eg: spinach was one idea i had, how does your LO eat it...if at all.  Thanks ladies, i just love this site!

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 09:25:45 am »
My dd1 is also extremely fussy/picky, and has been since the beginning of solids (she's now nearly 28m).  She has eaten virtually no vegetables her whole life.  Occasionally she will eat a bite or two of cooked carrots or beans when she is around her cousin of the same age (who devours vegetables).  She very often goes to bed with nothing in her tummy, since I don't cook her another meal if she's refused the dinner I've already cooked.  She'll eat processed meats like chicken nuggets, sausages.  She used to be ok with some fruits, but at the moment is refusing them mostly as well.  She is pretty good with carbs like crackers, bread, pasta.

For a while she would 'taste' something (but then spit it out) but most of the time she will not even taste anything.  She's happy to play with it in her hands though.

The reason I worry she may have some sort of texture problem is that she will chew some things for ages(eg. raw apple without skin, or red capsicum) but will have great difficulty swallowing them - usually spitting them out.   Occasionally she will swallow something but it is such a miniscule amount that it doesn't really count for nutrition purposes.

I can't puree veges into something, since she doesn't do sauces or anything like that.  I have been so surprised that she's eaten macaroni cheese the last couple of nights (but not the peas I added tonight!!), but she is ok with eggs and cheese and pasta (at the moment).

I will have to add up how many foods she eats.  She is fairly small for her age, but always has been.  She drinks milk, eats yogurt (at times!).