Author Topic: Question about transitioning from 3 hour to 4 hour  (Read 1462 times)

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Question about transitioning from 3 hour to 4 hour
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:43 am »
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm still reading the BW book.  I've come to realize I'm going to have to start transition from a 3 hour (non-EASY schedule (but almost similiar to EASY)) to the 4 hour EASY.  The current schedule I have is not working to well for me as my 15 week old son is not sleeping through the night and wakes up frequently in the middle of the night.  Currently, I've been trying the cluster feeds and dream feeds with the current 3 hour schedule to see how well my son responds.  It's going alright except for the dream feeds. 

Before, I start transitioning to the 4 hour EASY, I have a couple of questions:

1.  In the book, it suggests to start at 7 am, do you have to start at 7 am to successfully transition to a 4 hour schedule?  Currently my son wakes up around 7:30-8:00am.

2.  Do you continue to cluster feed if your baby is not going through a growth spurt? Or is cluster feeds for when the baby is going through a growth spurt?

3.  For the dream feeds, if my son wakes up during the feed, is it still considered a dream feed?  I've tried the dream feed a couple of times but he wakes up during the feed.

Here is what my current schedule looks like (but it varies depending when he wakes up (between 7:30am-8:30am), today's schedule looked like this:

8:00am   Eat (breastmilk in a bottle)
8:30am   Activity
9:30am   Sleep (naps vary in length 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour)
11:ooam Eat
11:30am Activity
12:30pm Sleep (naps vary in length 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour)
2:00pm   Eat
2:30pm   Activity
3:00pm   Sleep (naps vary in length 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hour)
5:00pm   Eat
5:30pm   Activity
6:45pm   Catnap
7:30pm   Eat
8:00pm   Bath
8:15pm   Bed (usually falls asleep by 8:30pm)

Also, please comment if your transition from a 3 hour to 4 hour schedule was easy or hard. I'm not looking forward to transitioning my son schedule.  I think he's a spirited baby and may not like the changes.

Melodie

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Question about transitioning from 3 hour to 4 hour
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:02:45 am »
Hi Melodie and welcome to BW.

Quote (selected)
In the book, it suggests to start at 7 am, do you have to start at 7 am to successfully transition to a 4 hour schedule?  Currently my son wakes up around 7:30-8:00am.

No it is just a guideline, you can do it when your DS wakes up.  Go with 7.30am wake up and 7.30pm bedtime.

Quote (selected)
Do you continue to cluster feed if your baby is not going through a growth spurt? Or is cluster feeds for when the baby is going through a growth spurt?

I never done cluster feedings with my DD, so sorry, I can't offer you any advice on this subject.  But I think cluster feeding is only when they are going through a growth spurt.

Quote (selected)
For the dream feeds, if my son wakes up during the feed, is it still considered a dream feed?  I've tried the dream feed a couple of times but he wakes up during the feed.

My DD always woke during dreamfeeds, but when straight back to sleep as soon as I put her back into the cot.

Your routine looks great to me.

From 4 months to 6 months I went to a 3.5hr EASY as she was so sleepy all of the while.  Then when she started to be awake more at 6 months (A time was 2hrs) I then moved onto a 4hr EASY.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline cheriec

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 19:44:32 pm »
i'm wondering about the transition too.  my son is 5 months old.  his EASY is anywhere from 3-4 hours.  i haven't made it a point to strictly feed him every 4 hrs.  although we are now going through sleep problems and i'm wondering if it could help.  he's 18lbs and exclusively breastfed. could this transition help our sleep problems??

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 20:11:48 pm »
Cheriecoco,

Yes moving your DS to a 4hr EASY will help with the naps, but just remember his A time might need extending a bit as well.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:55:26 am »
I have another questions about transitioning to 4 hour EASY.  Currently, my lo takes 4oz every 3 hours, when I transition to 4 hours, should I increase his bottle to 5oz?  Or just leave it at 4oz?  I think I'm suppose to increase the amount he takes but I couldn't remember by how much.

Melodie

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:35:58 am »
If he drains a 4 oz bottle every 3 hrs, I should make 6oz every 4hrs.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 04:01:58 am »
Thanks for the info.  Hopefully the transition to 4 hour EASY will be easy to do.
Wish me luck   ;)

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 08:10:34 am »
Good Luck.   ;D
Corrina
Mum to Faith