Author Topic: Fresh Eyes, 15 months 1hr nap+ big bro  (Read 751 times)

Offline indpwm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:02:49 am »
HI,
I"ve read Tracey's books and love them. I've also been lurking here since baby #1, but kiddo #2 has got me all confuddled.  I'd love some fresh eyes.  The fact that my kids are 18 months apart, I was working part time until last month, BF and their crying breaks my heart has been working against me, so I'll get that whine right out of the way. I haven't done as well following the BW as I had hoped.  I realize that those are just excuses and I'm ready to change so Here goes.

Ethan 33 months     Sleeps from 8:30/9 to 7:30 ish in his big boy bed no trouble       
                             Naps 12:30-3

Rachel 15 months    Sleeps 8-7am  Night waking approx 4 times       Sleeps in her own crib now But takes a Paci     
                             Naps 12:30-1:30     takes bottle while Listening to brother's story, rock for 5 mins when drowsy, down in crib awake

We moved to this one nap 2 months ago,  when she dropped her afternoon nap.  I've tried to go back to 2 but it hasn't worked.

I've read alto recently about bumping up her bedtime.  Is this What I need to do?????   How???   When do I feed her dinner?  currently at 5:30?  Does this mean I have to fix two dinners one for each kid?  Their routine is to have a bath together at 7.  DH gets home at 6 and really wants that hour to play.  (that sounded like a whine sorry)   Moving Rachel's bedtime will also "mess Up" DS.  How long until I can get her back to an 8pm bedtime?  Do i move it up in increments or just decide that she needs to have bedtime at say 6?  Will I need black out her windows since it will be light out?

During her night wakings, I usually go to her room when her cries escalate.  give her one of the several paci's in her crib, leave if she settles,if not I'll sit next to her, if that doesn't settle her I'll rub her head through the crib slats.   If I haven't fallen asleep myself I crawl bleary eyed back to my bed hoping not to wake DH.

Should I take away her Paci's?   Now or After we extend naps?  of course we are taking a trip in two weeks, as well.  Should I start anything before we go?

Back to Naps,   somedays she seems tired by 11 but won't take a second nap and is really super cranky.  I've moved her to DS schedule,  lunch at 11:30, wind down at 12ish  Nap at 12:30.   When she wakes, I've experimented with letting her go to see if she will resettle but that does not work and will wake DS if it goes on too long.  My presence alone won't resettle her either.  I take her out of the crib and rock her, half the time she will resettle for another half hour.  An hour or hour and fifteen minute nap is all she takes even with resettling. Once I go to her, she doesn't seem unhappy or (I hate to say this) tired. But she can't last until bed time.  Will moving up bedtime really extend her nap? or will it just mean that she goes to bed at 6 forever?

Thank you so much for any advice.  I really need to hear that others have been here and done that and gone beyond.