Author Topic: 10month old waking at night hungry! HELP  (Read 1163 times)

Offline jbrmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2006, 17:30:15 pm »
Hello ladies! Stacey you have replied to me a few times and suggested that I try increase the amount of food during the day. I have taken the week to do that and this is Ruby's schedule now.
8:30 breakfast - cereal an fruit
10:30am snack - fruit, rice rusk
11am she usually nurses - not always
12:30lunch - vegie and fruit
3pm snack - vegie/maybe a yogurt
4pm she usually nurses
6pm - vegies/fruit
7:30 bedtime feed and off to sleep on her own

now she has been waking up at about 10:30 to 11:00pm to eat....I don't know why, then she goes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. then another 3 hours and she's up. Her naps are good during the day, usually one big one in the late morning early afternoon. I cannot get any more food into her during the day, what I am getting into her is pushing it! I read a success story about cutting back on the amount of formula given each time the baby wakes but that's not really easy with nursing. What is my best plan of attack now that I am getting her to eat more during the day! We have improved from 4 to 5 times a night to 3 times but I really want to get this down to a full night sleep again. She used to do it when she was new (from birth till 3 1/2 months then it stopped with a growth spurt and I can't seem to get it back) So what are the suggestions out there....come on ladies I have two other kids to chase after all day. I need some help - not to mention a husband in need of some attention too!!!

amanda
jbrmom

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 10month old waking at night hungry! HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 00:54:20 am »
so how many times exactly are you feeding at night? just the 11ish pm? have you tried about bfing four times a day still - first thing in the am is probably imo an important feeding.

i reduced the number of minutes i bf my dd so i could wean her off night feedings and it did naturally help her take more during the day.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline LaurensMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 15:58:27 pm »
You don't say exactly how much she is eating during the day but maybe she isn't waking up because she is hungry. Maybe she is waking up and is in the habit of eating/nursing to get back to sleep. If you are sure she is getting enough during the day, I would try to put her back to sleep without eating.

My daughter used to do the same thing. Wake up in the middle of the night and want to nurse. I tried other ways to sooth her back to sleep. (One way was to send my husband in - he could put her back to sleep without food.) It may be that when you go in she either smells the milk or is used to getting it from you so she appears hungry but is really using the food to sooth herself back to sleep.

Offline jbrmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 00:55:35 am »
Lets see, I am feeding at least 3 times a night, it was 5 before I was able to increase her food during the day. And she is getting a nursing first thing in the morning before her cereal. I honestly think she is still hungry at night...well maybe not 100% sure! Are we ever as mothers 100% sure of ourselves!!!! Anyways, I think you suggested decreasing the amount of time that I breast feed at night....now I don' t know about you but if I am not drained I tend to get lumps that end up turning into blockages if I am not careful so I am a little leary about cutting her off before she is done...what do you think about that?

amanda
jbrmom

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:53:21 am »
i hadn't had a problem with that since dd was a few months old and my milk was more regulated..do you pump a lot? maybe this question is better suited for the bfing board?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline jbrmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 19:09:44 pm »
My miilk is regulated and no I don't pump, hardly at all now actually but if she doesn't drain me then I would, once she latches on and sucks a few times I have a huge letdown and if she doesn't drain me off completely then I would have to pump or suffer the consequences....I have a lot of milk I guess!!  so I really don' t think the decrease in nursing time will work for me. I suppose I have to just keep trying to increase her intake during the day and hope she grows out of it...or start sending my husband in with a sippy cup of water!  I am so in need of a good night sleep but I don' t want to stress her out either! So hard knowing what to do sometimes

amanda
jbrmom