Author Topic: what is going on?  (Read 1475 times)

Gigismom

what is going on?
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:51:25 am »
so i used to have the best little eater.  she would eat almost anything and everything i put in front of her, or at the very least just try it.

but for the past month or so, she is getting pickier and pickier.  now she eats about 10 different foods in total.  she eats nothing off a spoon.  and once she decides on what food sounds appetizing for the day, she will eat only that food all day!  we do eat healthy, so it's not like she's eating junk.  but really who can get all the vitamins they need from eating just tomatoes during one day and only cheerios the next? 

i don't push the issue at all.  i offer her several choices at each meal.  if she eats, great.  if not, i just get her out of her high chair.  i have tried new and exciting ways of preparing the food, but nothing seems to work.

i guess this is normal as toddlers are notoriously picky eaters, right?   :-\

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: what is going on?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:47:37 am »
dd is exactly the same and i do worry about it a lot, dd hardly eats any vegetables, i just hope this doesn't last forever, what i do sometimes cook up a small amount of vegetable and give it to dd when she is hungry during the day and this works most days, some days i worry that she hasn't eaten enough, how much milk does gianna have?

Gigismom

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:42 am »
milk?  :-\  well that is the other thing...she isn't drinking ANY milk now.  she used to drink lots, but it has slowly been less and less and now it's just none.  i know i am probly worrying for nothing as most of these "phases" whether they be eating or sleeping related usually don't last too long.  but i can't help but worry about it...

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 06:44:23 am »
i really have to push the milk, dd has milk twice a day, sometimes i wonder if i give it at the wrong time, i give it to her after breakfast 30/60 minutes later and she takes ages to drink it and then again after her afternoon nap, because dd hardly had any lunch we were out, i gave her cheese and banana when she woke well she is still holding her milk nearly an hour later, dd really love grapes and mandarins but if she doesn't want to eat them then she won't, i like what you said about new and exciting ways of preparing food, that doesn't work for dd either, does gianna eat with you at night? this is what we do and it really seems to work, she loves crumbed lamb cutlet, squash and zucchini, what really amazes me is how much i used to cook when she was under one

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 15:39:15 pm »
Would she drink a smoothie?

Gigismom

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 00:45:28 am »
no i haven't tried a smoothie but that is a good idea.  i do have lots of frozen fruit chunks in the freezer, so i guess i can blend that with yogurt and/or rice milk and see if she will take it that way.  especially  now that summer is coming, that is a good idea!!  thanks.

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 00:57:54 am »
I relate!  Nathan will rarely touch a vegetable (do french fries count  :-\) and he is down to maybe 6 oz of milk a day (bedtime bottle).  Most meals go something like this - takes a nibble of food, and then "all done!"  He also refuses other fluids, like water and sometimes even  juice.  There are days when that 6 oz of milk is all he gets in the way of fluids, and it worries me.  I am dreading his 18 mos appt - I know I am going to get yelled at.  :( 

I do make him smoothies, which he loves.  In the blender I put 5 ice cubes, a banana, 3 or 4 strawberries, some bluberries, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/2 cup yogurt.  I then add more OJ if needed to thin out. 

I also got the idea for veggie paties from someone on this site.  (forget who...   ???).  I finely shred carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, add a beaten add, a good handful of shredded cheese, and about 1/8 cup of instant mashed potatoes.  I then form them into pancakes in the pan (with a little bit of cooking spray), and brown both sides.  Only veggie he (or DH  ::)) will eat.  LOL
Sheila
ng