Author Topic: Planning EASY for holiday  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Planning EASY for holiday
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:12:04 am »
Hi,

My DS is on 3 hour EASY at the moment.  He's 15 weeks old and pretty settled in his routine.  In 5 weeks time we'll be going to Spain with friends for two weeks  8) and I am thinking about how to best run his routine while we are there.  Generally, I don't think it will be a problem as we'll be able to make changes the way we would if we were out and about at home.  The thing that concerns me is that we will want to go out to eat a few times while we are there, and chances are we'll be wanting to go out quite late in the evening.

What's the best way to take DS with us in the evening so that he is able to stay up and enjoy it with us?  In Spain children just eat with their parents late in the evening, but obviously our baby won't be used to being up after 8pm (at the latest).  I would plan to have a 'routine' day after any late nights, but I don't know whether he would just sleep through an evening out in his car seat (which is fine) or whether he's be awake and grouchy.

Should I try to get him onto 3.5 or 4 hour easy before then?

Any thoughts, hints and suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mama
xxxx

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Planning EASY for holiday
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 13:38:22 pm »
Mama
I am just going to follow this thread, we are also off to Spain in 6.5weeks and I was also going to post.
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline Mamastalawatt

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 21:34:11 pm »
No worries Lauren,

My friends have suggested that I put DS onto a later routine to allow for late evenings and lie-ins, eg 10am - 10pm, and to start this immediately when we get to Spain.  It would be nice to have lie-ins, that's for sure  ;D 

Any thoughts?

Mama
xxxx

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37:32 am »
If you think he will be able to fall asleep and stay asleep in his carseat while you're out to dinner, I would just do that.  Otherwise, you can slowly start to push his day and night forward in 15 min increments (later bedtime...later wake time).  I don't know exactly how that will go over, but if it's want you want you should certainly try.  I wonder, though, how the time difference will effect him (although I don't recall where you are located so there may not be one).  Then, I wonder what it will be like to retrain him once you return home.  Humm, sticky situation.  Sorry to ramble.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:19:02 am »
Heather we will both only be an hour in front because of the time difference - so its not to bad. Its the later nights, that we will need to work around.
Lauren x

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 15:47:42 pm »
Hi there

Ok what i did when i went to Orlando with DS (it was only one hour difference so it wasn't that hard to start at the Orlando time), was to keep him on his regular schedule, and if we where out at night (like 9pm or so) i putted him to sleep in his stroller and covered it with a dark blanket, 'cause i really didn't want to mess up his routine and have it back track at me when we returned home, 'cause he was still waking up at 7:30 so if i put him to sleep later he would just be sleeping less, and i totally didn't want that. What i wasn't abble to keep up with was the nap times, 'cause being at Disney was way to stimulating so he just napped whenever he wanted. I guess you can only see how is coming and work with that, but i would recommend not to let his bedtime go really late, 'cause he will get up pretty much at the same time (and there where times when i didn't bathe him either  :P 'cause we arrived late at the hotel, like 11pm, so i would have had to wake him up). Hope this helps

Offline Mamastalawatt

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 16:22:49 pm »
Lauren,

Where in Spain are you off to?  We spend most summers in a cave house in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere called Los Lobos - about an hour away from Almeria on the south coast.

Just interested!

Mama
xxxx

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 16:59:03 pm »
We are off to a private villa in Moraira (Costa Blanca) 1hr north of Alicante (and nowhere near Benedorm  :P)
Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline Mamastalawatt

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 18:32:08 pm »
Oooh, lovely!  I know I went to Moraira with my parents when I was young but can't remember a thing about it!

Bring it on!  ;D

Mama
xxxx

BTW I think I'll probably stick to the routine and hope that DS will sleep through evenings, or at least be interested enough to look around all night and play with the other kids!