Author Topic: WHAT TO DO IF TOO MUCH "A" TIME BECAUSE OF 45MIN NAP  (Read 1486 times)

Offline mom2liam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
WHAT TO DO IF TOO MUCH "A" TIME BECAUSE OF 45MIN NAP
« on: April 26, 2006, 16:11:56 pm »
Hi

Since I have resigned myself to the fact that my LO is only going to take 45min naps, I need some help tweeking his routine.....

7am    - Wake up (I have to wake him up 9 times out of 10 is this OK)
7.15am  - Bottle
9am - Nap - 45mins
10.45am - 1TBSP Cereal
11am - Bottle
12pm - Nap - 45 mins

THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP

3pm - Bottle - By the time he is ready for this bottle he has been awake 2 hrs 15mins, so if I put him down after this bottle and he only takes 45 mins he will be awake by 4pm, which is way to early to get him through the night!!! If I let him go longer I have a risk of having an overtired baby. Should I let him sleep after this bottle and then give a 2nd nap?

6.30pm - 1TBSP Cereal
7.15pm - Bottle
7.45pm - Bed
Thanks
Wendy
Mom2Liam

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: WHAT TO DO IF TOO MUCH "A" TIME BECAUSE OF 45MIN NAP
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 18:28:28 pm »
Hi Wendy
Is Liam able to go 2hrs 'A' time? Secondly, are you following his sleepy cues or the clock? (I know you have posted loads about this before  ::))

I think I would be inclined to give him an earlier bedtime until such times as the 45min nap monster disappears again.

7am    - Wake up (I have to wake him up 9 times out of 10 is this OK)
   Yes, this is perfect.

My other thought is since your having to wake him up all the time, since your having to wake him up most mornings he seems to need the sleep so an earlier bedtime may be fine for him - it may then have a knock on affect with you naps  :-\ He may be caught in a whole cycle of overtiredness and a week or so of early to bed may help. I am doing this at them moment as well  ::)

P.S - did you hear anything from your mum yet?
Lauren x

Offline mom2liam

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 22:12:10 pm »
Hi Lauren

He does 2 hours of A time already between each nap do you think he could go longer? He wakes form his first nap at 9.45 (from  9am), and his next sleep is 12pm, so he is doing 2hrs 15mins???? I do a bit of both concerning the cloack or watching him. If he's a little fussy then I do look to see if it's near a nap time, feed time.....

The bedtime issue is a little trick ans selfish also, I go back to work on Monday and commute into NY. If he went ot bed at 7pm, I wouldn't see him 3 nights per week. If he goes to bed at 7.45pm at least I get 30mins with him.... :'(

The 45mins naps are still an issue. I bought a white noise machine the other day and this hasn't helped either........

He does wake from each nap crying out :-\, I just wish he would nap longer and then he'd be the perfect baby ;D

Thanks as always for your help
Wendy

PS I'll PM you about my Lovely Mother

Mom2Liam

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:27 am »
Have you tried any of the sleep training techniques: wake to sleep, shh/pat (or just patting), or pu/pd, when he wakes early?  I agree that you will either need to give him another nap or put him to bed early.  Or possibly try putting him down for his first nap 30 mins earlier.  Since you are having to wake in the morning, he may still be tired.  I say this b/c on the mornings that my dd is still asleep when I go to get her up, she is 9 times out of 10 ready for her 1st nap earlier and sleeps longer than usual.  I think it's her way of making up for the sleep I didn't let her finish getting  ;).
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mom2liam

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 13:13:46 pm »
Hi Heather

I've tried everything, and after a while it was making me miserable, because it wan't working. So I resigned myself that he is a short napper... :-[ I'll try putting him to bed earlier..

One thing I was thinking is, could I change his day to start at 7.30am or 9am, or should I just leave it at 7am?

Thanks for your help
Mom2Liam

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 13:36:22 pm »
Leave it at 7am and go for a temporary early to bed, even for a couple of weeks and see if you notice any difference.
Lauren x