Author Topic: How to start Easy for my 3 and half month old  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to start Easy for my 3 and half month old
« on: April 26, 2006, 16:13:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

I need some help on how to start Easy.My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and she is colic..but seems to be doing better the past couple of days.Her schedule is all over the place and i would love to get her on a good routine.She feeds usually every 3 hours but her naps are short(very hard to sooth)and her bedtime is never the same.I would love to have a copy of Tracey's book but you can't get it here where i live in Canada.Any suggestions would be great!

Charlene

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: How to start Easy for my 3 and half month old
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 18:19:19 pm »
Charlene
Can you post your current routine and we can see where it needs tweaked (if any)  ;)

Where in Canada do you live that you can't get the books? Let me know and I can find out for you.

Lauren

Lauren x

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 14:42:57 pm »
Hi Lauren,

This is somewhat how her day goes

6:30 or 7:00  Wake up
7:30  Bottle 3oz
9:00 nap(this varies because she is so hard to get to sleep..30 to 1hour usually)
10:00 Bottle 3oz
11:00 or 11:30 nap(same)
1:00 Bottle 3 to 4 oz
1:30 nap
4:00 Bottle 3 to 4 oz
5:30 bath
6:00 bed
7:00 wake another bottle 4 to 5oz
She won't go back to sleep till around 8:30 or 9
10:00 or 10:30 Bottle (same)
Back to sleep till around 2 or 3 then another bottle 4 to 5oz
Wake up at 6:30 or 7:00 again

This varies....i would love to get her to go to bed and stay asleep till her 2:00am feed but it seems impossible

Charlene

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 14:47:44 pm »
Hi...i forgot to let you know that i live in Newfoundland

Char

Offline jezni

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • My little hunk!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 14:52:41 pm »
Mommy2Courtney I live in Ontario and I bought my book at Coles and also Chapters sells them. Also if you want you can order online at chapters.ca and they will deliver right to you.
Kim

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:12:13 am »
Have you tried putting her down a little earlier for her first morning nap?  She may be just a bit too tired to be able to fall asleep.  Have you checked our NAP boards for info on how to soothe baby back to sleep when they wake early from a nap?  Do you do any type of winddown routine before sleep times?  Does she go into her bed awake or asleep?  Does she take a soother?
Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get a clear picture of things so that we can best help you.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:56:16 am »
I have tried putting her down earlier but it dosn't seem to make a difference.Sometimes i put her in the crib awake but she will just scream...the odd time she will fall to sleep but most of the time i will have to rock her..she also fights that to.Yes she has a paci...which drives me nuts because the min it falls out she will start to cry,which is hard nighttime.I just sit with her in the rocking chair before bed...not sure about what to do for windtime...also not sure it makes a difference to her.This is si confusing.

Charlene

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 12:36:45 pm »
Is it a cry for need or a Mantra, cry - lots of littles one give a mantra cry when thye try to settle themselves to sleep.

the Mantra cry is;

...an odd burst of a cry which most babies do as they are settling down. We don't pick up with a mantra cry. Instead, we hold back to see if the child can settle herself. We do pick up with a genuine cry, because its your babies way of saying "I have a need that has to be met".

Each mantra cry is individual, get to know your babies mantra cry sounds like. You'll see it when she's physically overtired, she'll blink and yawn, and her leg and arms fail if she's overtired. She'll also do a kind of "waa.....waa...waa...."sound, like a mantra that repeated over and over, the pitch and tone is the same throughout. It does not sound the same as a genuine cry, which escalates in volume.  - TBW -SAYP p235

As far as the clusterfeed & dreamfeeds go, offer as much as he'll take.  There is no "set" amount of how much it should be, it's simply to "tank" him up, simply because you want the majority of his calories during the day and you'll eventually want to cut the dreamfeed out. The amount for a dream feed can vary from the amount they take in the day and can often be hit and miss.

I would put her in cot 15 -20 min before the 2hour mark to wind him down for sleeping. You could also just try sitting with your LO, have you read about the 4 S’s in Tracy’s books. If you miss her sleep window and she becomes overtired she will cry out of frustration, to avoid this I always follow the same wind-down routine, 4 S's
Set the stage - prepare you LO room for sleep; remove stimulation, darken room, lullaby....
Swaddle - (I used to swaddle now I use a gro'bag with his arms swaddled)
Sitting - Quietly without any stimulation, and when necessary..
Shush-pat

Is there anyway you can start the 4 S's 15 -20min before a nap? As part of your 'A' time
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:48:25 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x