Author Topic: What is EASY?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
What is EASY?
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:20:35 am »
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm just wondering...

What is EASY?

Just wondering if this is something for me to get into, and if so, what is it.  I looked at the baby & toddler quizzes, and I'd have to say my baby falls into the Spirited and Grumpy baby category. My baby has always been what call a "high needs" baby.

Marie

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
Re: What is EASY?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:54:22 am »
does your baby sleep and nap well? i would definatley look into easy if you are planning a second, it saved my life, e stands for eat, a stands for activity, s stands for sleep and y stands for you (you time when baby is sleeping) it really is about the order of doing things to prevent and determine any problems in short, but you really need to read the books to get a better understanding, best of luck

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:10:59 am »
No, my baby has never really been a good sleeper or napper. She's more like the baby that never naps.

I just discovered there are books about this. Why haven't I seen them before? I will take another look at my local bookstore.

Marie

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 08:31:41 am »
smksf welcome to the BW boards  ;D

Hope this explains it for you, I have taken this from the 1st book "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer"...hope to you you back soon  ;)

Going E.A.S.Y. on Everyone (p41 Secrets of BW)

EASY. is an acronym for the structured routine that I begin to es¬tablish with all my babies, ideally from day one. Think of it as a re¬curring period, more or less three hours long, in which each of the following segments occurs in this order:

E—Eating. Whether your baby is fed by the breast, the bottle, or both, nutrition is his primary need. Babies are little eating machines. Relative to their body weight, they eat two to three times the calories an obese person does! (In Chapter 4 I go into eat-ing issues in greater detail.)

A—Activity. Before the age of three months, your baby will probably be eating and sleeping 70 per cent of the time. When she’s not, she’ll be on the changing table, in the tub, cooing in her crib or on a blanket, in her carriage for a stroll, or looking out the window from her infant seat. Doesn’t sound like much activity from our perspec¬tive, but it’s what babies do. (More about activities in Chapter 5.)

S—Sleeping. Whether they sleep like a dream or in fits and starts, all babies need to learn how to get themselves to sleep in their own beds (to promote their independence).

Y – You it’s your turn. Sound impossible or unreasonable? It’s not. If you fol¬low my E.A.S.Y. program, every few hours there will be “you” time to rest, rejuvenate, and, once you’ve started to heal, to get things done. Remember that in the first six weeks—the postpartum period—you will need to recover physically and emotionally from the trauma of childbirth. Mothers who try to rush back to life as they once knew it, or whose on-demand feeding schedules don’t al¬low them any time to rest, pay the piper later on.

Why E.A.S.Y. Works

Humans, at any age, are habitual creatures they function better within a regular pattern of events. Structure and routine are nor¬mal to everyday life. Everything has a logical order. As my Nan says, “You can’t add eggs to the pudding after it’s baked.” In our homes, our workplaces, our schools, even our houses of worship, there are systems set in place that make us feel secure……..

Babies don’t like surprises. Their delicate systems do best when they eat, sleep, and play pretty much at the same time every day, and in the same order. It may vary slightly, but not by much. Children, especially infants and babies, also like to know what’s coming up next. They tend not to be good about hidden surprises……..

E.A.S.Y gets your baby used to the natural order of things—food, activity, and rest.
 I’ve seen parents put their infants to bed right after eating, often because the baby falls asleep on the breast or bottle. I don’t advise this for two reasons. One, the baby becomes dependent on the bottle or breast, and soon needs it to fall asleep. Two, do you want to sleep after every meal? Unless it’s a holiday and you’ve eaten a huge turkey dinner, probably not. More often, you eat a meal and then go off to an activity. Indeed, our adult days are organised around a morning meal; going off to work, school, or play; lunch; more work, school, or play; then dinner, bath, and bedtime. Why not offer the same natural progression to our baby?

Structure and organization gives everyone in the family a sense of security.
A structured routine he can follow and create an environment that helps him know whats coming. With EASY, , there’s no rigidity – we listen to our baby and respond  to his specific needs— but we keep his day in a logical order, we, not Baby, set the stage.

The beauty of this simple plan is that with each step baby knows what’s coming next. This means Mum and Dad can also plan their lives too. And other siblings don’t get pushed into the background. In the end everyone gets the love and  attention he or she needs…………………..

EASY. helps parents interpret their baby
Because I have handles so many babies, I know their language. When a baby cries “I’m hungry—feed me”, it sounds far different from “my nappies dirty—change me” or I’m tired – help me calm down and get to sleep”. My goal is to help part that they, too, can understand takes time, practice and a bit trial and error. In the meantime with EASY, you can make intelligent guesses about what your baby wants even before you become fluent in baby language. 

EASY. establishes a solids but flxible foundation for your baby.

EASY. facilitates cooperative parenting - with or without a partner
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 08:39:19 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 16:46:12 pm »
Thank you! Yes, this helps.  :)  I just wish I knew about this before she was born. Is it too late to start EASY? She's 13 months old now.

Marie

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 17:00:12 pm »
Never too late to start EASY.
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:18:50 am »
I also consider my dd a "high needs" child.  She was "touchy" as a baby, but she's probably changed since entering toddlerhood.
Anyway, what are Marisa's days like now?  By the way, love that name!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007