Author Topic: nearly 13mo wanting to transition to 1 nap?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline me and bean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
nearly 13mo wanting to transition to 1 nap?
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:42:24 am »
i'm not sure if this is 'it.'  what do you think?

am nap (10am) is only 1 hour now, if that.

pm nap (2pm), he used to get very tired and wind down, now he busies himself playing.  i put him to bed and he cries for up to half an hour, then has a 1 hour nap.  on occasions i have got him up during the crying and he lasts really well till bedtime, like he had had a 2 hour nap already!

if we go out, he seems to need a huge amount of settling-in back at home time till he goes to bed.  ie if we get home at 10am and i put him to bed, he will not go to sleep.  if i let him play around and settle in, he will then go and have a good sleep.

BUT, he has been standing balanced for sometime now and could be on the verge of walking.  he's just been to phoenix for a holiday.  grandma has been staying for a few days (and i left him with her which he wasn't to thrilled about for a few hours).  so he's had a bit going on.

whatdya reckon?
Susan -
mum to michael, aka bean!  april 1st, 2005
and cope, october 15th, 2007

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: nearly 13mo wanting to transition to 1 nap?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:15:40 am »
it may be that all you can really do is try, this is what i did, i held dd off as long as i could in the morning, did half lunch before nap and half lunch after nap, and then we put dd to bed earlier in the night, dd sometimes couldn't wait for nap on those days we did two naps, it took a few weeks to adjust, she also started having early morning wakes, they didn't last, infact everything was messed up, eventally she started napping at midday, we did lunch at 11.30, i wish i knew how to track previous post as many people have posted about this, all the best, i love the one nap, gives you and opportunity to do something, of course for me this is all going to change real soon and this is the bit i am not looking forward to being house bound

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 14:07:37 pm »
Hmmm.  Could be development with the walking or could be the one nap thing happening or both! If he falls asleep at 2:30 how long does he nap?  and is there any problems then with the nighttime sleep? Is the night time sleep then shorter.  I think that if the night sleep starts being effected that's the clear sign to move to one nap.  If not, then it may be that he is in the "pre-transition" phase where the naps are getting shorter and later.  I would stick with that as long as the night sleep isn't effected--as soon as that happens start shifting to the one nap. 

Offline me and bean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 18:52:26 pm »
imsmum...  if he falls asleep at 2.30, he'll sleep an hour or hour and a half.  when i posted this he had no problems with his night time sleep.  but the last two mornings he's woken at 5.30, then 6.20.  usually he is 7am. 

do you consider this nightwaking or just early morning waking.  what i am wondering is, do i wake-to-sleep with him in the morning...?  or, should i be trying to push his morning nap back now (if it is the start of his transition)...?

would like to hear any thoughts.
Susan -
mum to michael, aka bean!  april 1st, 2005
and cope, october 15th, 2007

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 17:21:17 pm »
Sorry I see that you had the pm nap info in your original post. 

With the night sleep getting shorter I think that is a clear sign of needing only 1 nap or that awkward phase of 2 being too many and one not enough ::).  Maybe start pushing the am nap back and do a cat nap in the pm at least until his night sleep gets longer.  With the short night sleep he'll probably not be able to go to the one nap without becoming overtired. Or you could try wake to sleep and then go for the one nap with an early bedtime. Good luck!