Author Topic: Does this sound like an allergy?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« on: April 27, 2006, 15:06:24 pm »
Hey guys,

My 9mo DS just had strawberries for the first time this morning at 9am, and at 10:45am I noticed he had red splotches on his neck and his hairline/scalp.  However after he had his 11am bottle the redness completely disappeared.  I've never seen a rash like this on him before so I'm almost sure it's the strawberries but was surprised at how short-lived the reaction was.

Thanks for your input!

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Does this sound like an allergy?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 15:19:30 pm »
Hi Sarah. Yes, that does sound like an allergy to me. Strawberris (and raspberries) are not usually recommended before one year as they are a common allergen. Blueberries and cranberries are much safer.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 16:01:31 pm »
Thanks!  I was folllowing Super Baby Food and it said that you can give strawberries at 9 months but you know how sometimes you have a feeling something's not right??  I should have followed my gut.   ::) 

So this is our first allergy...what happens now, LOL?!  Do I try the food again at a later date or avoid it altogether (of course I'll ask our doc but just wondered what you all do)

Thanks again!

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Does this sound like an allergy?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 10:47:18 am »
I would not try strawberries again (or raspberries for that matter) or any nuts until at least one year. Maybe closer to 2 years for nuts.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01