Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281192 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #1185 on: February 21, 2007, 12:48:22 pm »
Ooh Lisa, that's yucky!  If he was playing for an hour that makes me think he wasn't tired enough - maybe he then messed around for so long that he crossed the line into overtired?!!  Good luck today.  Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #1186 on: February 21, 2007, 18:52:21 pm »
Ok so I tried the 20 min. catnap in the car this am and he fell asleep I can't believe it!! :o  From 9:50 till 10:10. He was up at 6 but in bed till 6:50. Lunch was at 12. Bottle and stories at 12:30. Laid him down and he played for 30 min. I had to do PD for 15 min. and stand inthe room for him to finally fall asleep after 45 min. of being in bed. Too tired not tired enough? Let's see howlong he sleeps. ::)  Will keep ya posted.

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #1187 on: February 21, 2007, 19:15:33 pm »
Does this sound right? 

DS's schedule today:

6:45 Woke up
9:30 - 25 min nap
12:30 - Nap...slept 40 mins, fussed 10 mins, slept 40 mins, fussed 10 mins, sleeping now although not soundly as I keep hearing coughing and occasional moaning on the monitor...depending when he wakes, it will be 2h, but awake fussing at least 20 mins of that time.

Is this ok or does it still mean overtired? 

Actually, he is awake, so he has been in bed 2h but not 2h of sound sleep.  BUT, he is not crying now so maybe he is waking up happy  ;D.

Since we're only on day 2 of this transition I just want to make sure I'm not causing him to become overtired.  We're still heading for very early bedtime as it is only 2:30 now and I don't want him overtired at bedtime.

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #1188 on: February 21, 2007, 19:52:18 pm »
Ok, at least he woke up happy  ;D ;D and was in his crib for 2h which is progress.

We'll keep playing with the times!

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #1189 on: February 21, 2007, 20:54:28 pm »
 ;D :o Holden slept 1 hr 50 min!!! That is awsome for him! Now he can go to bed at 7:30 instead of so much earlier. Will try this again tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help Kelly. Now do you think he was too tired or not tired enough for taking 45 min. to fall asleep. Also not sure how much it helped him to stay asleep but I did cover his window w/ a blanket because it's so sunny here today and it comes right in his window. So I will definately put that up tomorrow.

Lisa

Offline KellyC

« Reply #1190 on: February 21, 2007, 22:10:49 pm »
Good days for everybody  ;D

Stacy - I hope you enjoyed the lie-in!

Lisa - honestly I don't know whether he was too tired or not tired enough.  What's your instinct from how he was acting for those 45 minutes?  Trust your instinct - if you're thinking over-tired then put him down 10 minutes earlier and if not tired enough put him down 10 minutes later.  10 minutes can make all the difference sometimes.  If you're not sure maybe give it another go and see what happens!

M and N's Mom - I actually don't think it's a bad thing that he was really (but not over!) tired as he put himself back to sleep whenever he stirred.  This is how Zander had to be to begin with to take a 2 hour nap.  If you're worried you could also try 10 minutes earlier and see if that helps.  It's great that he was in his cot for 2 hours and woke happy  ;D

Kelly x

Offline KellyC

« Reply #1191 on: February 21, 2007, 22:57:06 pm »
Are you sure he wouldn't go down earlier and take a longer nap with a 12 hour night?  I was thinking recently that we only every got 12 hour nights once Zander was on one nap!  His routine is now on average (with ups and downs due to nursery!) wake at 7.30, nap from 1-2.30 and bed at 7.30.

K x

Offline *Kimberly*

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #1192 on: February 22, 2007, 00:17:02 am »
So Brendan was up at 8am, and down for his nap at 12:15pm.  He slept for 3 hours.  This definitely seems to be working for him.

Kimberly

Offline KellyC

« Reply #1193 on: February 22, 2007, 12:46:24 pm »
See how it goes Stacy.  Since we switched to one nap, the time of the nap is always the same - 12.45/1 - no matter when he wakes in the morning and it does vary (A times mean nothing to me anymore!).  It doesn't seem to make any difference, except maye it takes him longer to drop off to sleep at night but I let him get on with it so it doesn't affect me!

Kimberly - not bad hey?! ;D

K x

Offline Zaiby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1194 on: February 22, 2007, 13:11:48 pm »
Hi guys..

So the day before I had put R down at 6:30 because of short nap and he went to sleep by 7..woke at 5 - gave some milk and he went back til 7:10...any rate he had a great nap 12:10-2:25, bedtime at 7 not tired, but as suggested early enough to have him drift of to sleep at 7:30 .he woke at 5:30 (i think that is when I heard his aquarium.--could have been earlier - left him till 6:30)....so I'm not sure if he was tired enough, or what..he had a fair amount of sleep for him the day before...

Just a note- I had given him milk yesterday morning at 5 because he hadn't eaten well last night and ate early at 5 - I thought he might be hungry...
today I didn't because well he ate really well and had a snack before bed...
I guess I should just be consistant - it's very hard to figure this out, I feel hopeless and such a failure..

Any suggestions?
Z
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 13:38:36 pm by Zaiby »

Offline jennyb133

• Jenny
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1195 on: February 22, 2007, 14:11:02 pm »
So with the other day mistake of letting him sleep too long in the morn. (see my previous post). I tried yesterday to stay with a 30min. AM cat-nap.
This is what happened:
Woke at 7am
Put him down for a nap at 9am
He bounced around for awhile, humming, playing his aquarium music, then of course proceeded to throw everything out of his crib (this is his new thing  ::))
So I went in at 9:15, gave him back his favorite blankie & walked out.
For half hour more he did not sleep, just kept playing until he was crying out for me. I kept doing wi/wo with no success.
Got him out of the crib at 9:45.
Decided to run some errands, get him out of the house then early lunch & nap.
He was looking sleepy around 11:30, but I was still out.
Got him home, Fed him lunch, put him down at 12:30.
He did not fall asleep till 1pm.
Slept till 3pm (Yay!), but woke up grumpy  :-\
Pretty grumpy rest of afternoon.
Dinner at 5, Bath at 6, Milk at 6:30
Sleep 7pm.

Today:
Woke at 6:30am
Put him in his crib at 8:30. Again not sleeping. He's fussing now hasn't slept at all.

Do you think he already is dropping the AM cat-nap even though I barely even tried it at all?!  He used to sleep extra long in the morning to now not at all in the morning!  I'm going to get him out now, but when should I put him for his nap. Do you think he's overtired that he's waking grumpy?  Also, he did have a NW at 10pm (he wakes, turns on his aquarium & goes back to sleep) And I think he may have had another one, b/c I think I might have heard his music playing on the monitor but can't remember. I must have slept right through it.

What should I do? Keep offering an AM nap even if he doesn't take it? Try the PM nap extra early like 11:30?
James~ 12/04/2005
Alexander~ 07/26/2007
Nicholas~ 09/05/2010

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #1196 on: February 22, 2007, 15:50:46 pm »
Jenny, my son won't take the cat nap until 9:30 after a 6am wake-up so like 3.5 hs and then main nap 12:30ish. maybe you should try the catnap like at 9:30 instead, or more like 3hrs after waking. I am keeping with a 9:30 catnap regardlesss of what time he wakes-----today it is going to be difficult as he was awake at 5am and out of crib at 6am :(    --he may have the catnap at 9:15/9:20 if needed.

Zaibun ---I am completely frustrated with these early wakes as well, why is 11hrs too much to ask for?  he had a 20min am nap and a 1hr 50min pm nap--ending about 2:20pm , in bed for 6:45 and asleep about 5min later. so he was up at 5 today but why? not overtired or undertired at bed and had a decent amnt of day sleep yesterday.  Its funny, the days he has had crappy naps-and gone to bed at 6:30---he has at least slept 11hrs till 5:30 in the am.

I'm just going to pretend he woke closer to 6 since he was quite quiet and resting until about 5:45 when the calling started.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #1197 on: February 22, 2007, 18:42:49 pm »
Zaiby - you're not a failure hun.  This is hard, which is why there is a whole thread about it! ;)  You and he will figure it out, I promise.  Chin up, you're doing great!  ;D ;D

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #1198 on: February 22, 2007, 18:47:07 pm »
Today took him for a ride at 9:15 and he didn't go to sleep. Stopped at the grocery store and on the way home he did a 15 min. catnap but it was from 11:15- 11:30. So I wasn't sure how he would go down for a pm nap. Did lunch at 12 and let him play while I cleaned up good thing too cause he went potty. Gave him his bottle at 12:45 and read stories till 1:15 and laid him down. He fell asleep about 1:40 again. I was surprised cause he catnapped so late. Hopefully he will sleep like yesterday almost 2hrs!! Bedtime was a little late yesterday also put him down at 7:15 but not asleep till 7:45. His wake time from nap was 3:30.

Lisa

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #1199 on: February 22, 2007, 18:59:53 pm »
Zaiby-Just saw your post. First your not a failure and transitions do suck!!  I know sometimes I feel that way too.
Jenny- Maybe you could try the catnap in the car like I 've done the last 2 days. My DS wouldn't nap and just farted around in the crib also. I've been trying to get him down around 9 and give up or wake by 10. I only let him sleep for 20min. I don't want him to start the whole overtired cycle again.

Lisa