Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281195 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #1200 on: February 22, 2007, 19:17:10 pm »
Zaiby - of course you're not a failure, don't put so much pressure on yourself - you know you can't control everything anyway as our LOs have their own ideas sometimes!  When you say you *think* he woke because you heard his aquarium, pretend you didn't hear his aquarium!  Lots of babies and toddlers come into a light sleep at that time of morning and I often hear Zander's aquarium too but I don't consider it a night waking, I always leave him be because he's not upset and he now knows he may as well go back to sleep.  When I say he's slept from 7.30-8 that doesn't mean I haven't heard wave noises at 3am or 5am or whatever.  You'll be especially grateful if he learns to play by himself in his room once he gets older and drops his night time sleep as he won't be desperate for mummy to get up early with him!  Is there anyway you could try and tune out a bit?  If he really needs you you'll hear him so try and ignore the little noises (including that aquarium!) and don't even look at the clock to see what time it is if he does that during the night - it doesn't matter!!  {{hugs}}  Kelly x

PS - is it colder where you are now?  If so perhaps he's getting a little cold in the early hours and a pair or socks or an extra blanket wouldn't go amiss!
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #1201 on: February 22, 2007, 19:38:24 pm »
So,

Day 1 of this transition we had a 1h 20min afternoon nap...woke cranky = overtired.
Day 2 had a 2h time in bed...woke happy, but had fussing between each sleep cycle = still overtired.
Day 3 (today) had 1.5h nap but slept solidly for that 90 mins...so does that tell me anything?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't overtired today:
30 min am nap
2.5h awake time
1.5h nap

Is that likely all he wanted/needed today or should I have tried to extend it with wi/wo?

Thanks  :D

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #1202 on: February 22, 2007, 21:59:12 pm »
Stacy, I definately don't think there is anything wrong with tylenol before naps. why not? I personally think that if they are in pain---why not offer some relief. I think as adults thats what we would want. I would anyway. you are right though-teething sucks.

how was your night last night with that 45min nap yesterday afternoon?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1203 on: February 22, 2007, 23:01:23 pm »
Stayed in his bed another hour and 15  mins afterwards just laying around. 

In my dreams  ::)  I SO wish DS would learn how to do this!  DD will, so I guess I couldn't get lucky twice  ;)

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
« Reply #1204 on: February 22, 2007, 23:20:56 pm »
DOes he have that Ocean Wonders Aquarium in his crib or anything similar M & N's mom?  That helps my LO hang out a bit longer...

Tummy bug here, no transition for us this week!   :-\

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1205 on: February 23, 2007, 00:25:08 am »
Does he have that Ocean Wonders Aquarium in his crib or anything similar M & N's mom?  That helps my LO hang out a bit longer...

Tummy bug here, no transition for us this week!   :-\

We used to have the aquarium, but way back when he learned to stand but couldn't get down I took it out as he'd stand up beside it and play, then cry.  Maybe it is time to put it back in.

Sorry to hear about the tummy bug.  Gotta hate that!

Offline jennyb133

• Jenny
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1206 on: February 23, 2007, 00:56:55 am »
Funny, how so many of us have that Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium!! 

Kelly- my question is, even though he wakes in the middle of the night, stirs, plays his aquarium, then goes right back to sleep, I shouldn't count that as a NW?  What's considered a NW then?  I'm lucky that when he does wake, he plays his aquarium & goes back to sleep on his own. So since he's not fully awake & crying out that means I can count that as sleeping through the night?
Oh, & thanks for mentioning the socks thing. He always pulls off his blankets & socks!! When he's finally asleep, we cover him back up with blankets. He only had a few of the foot pajamas left that fit him, so I went out & bought a few more pair today. Of course that's fine for bedtime, but at nap time I can't get him to keep his socks on! Today I pulled about 6 socks out from under his crib b/c he pulls them off & throws them down the corner!!

Stacy- we have teething here too. A tooth just poked through on Tues. But I think more are coming. Can't tell which ones, but there's tons of drool & rosy cheeks! Maybe I should try tylenol before naps too?

Lisa- unfortunately, my DS won't fall asleep quickly in the car anymore. We have to be driving for at least 1/2 an hour & have him really sleepy before he'll fall asleep. I can't see driving 30mins. to get him to sleep then another 20/30mins for him to nap. That's like an hour in the car just driving around!! I did that a couple weeks ago when I first started this 2-1 process. And it didn't work at all!

The 3hr. awake time in the morning before cat-nap makes sense & I even have that jotted down & posted on my fridge. Looking back at my previous post, why was I trying to put him down after 2hr. awake time???!!!

So, yesterday he skipped the cat-nap all together & slept 1pm-3pm. Today, skipped the cat-nap all together & slept 12:30-2:20pm.  Seems perfect right?? Well, both days he woke up grumpy & cranky for the rest of the afternoon!!!

James~ 12/04/2005
Alexander~ 07/26/2007
Nicholas~ 09/05/2010

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #1207 on: February 23, 2007, 02:47:17 am »
Jenny, I have my son in a GROWBAG----it is great for night and I also use it for naps. great for preventing cold feet.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2007, 11:40:24 am »
We also use a sleep sack for naps and night.

Jenny, do you have Robeez?  You could leave those on at naptime as it is harder to get them off.

I have a question about the Aquarium.  Where do you guys put it?  If I put it on the bar at the top of the crib, DS would have to stand to play with it, making it less likely he'd fall back asleep.  But, if I put it at mattress level, he could kick it or roll into it by accident when he was sleeping (he moves around a lot) and turn it on, maybe waking himself as he is a light sleeper.  Where do you have it?

Offline Zaiby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »
thanks for the support guys...i know I can't make him sleep - he can't be programmed.  I really do have to learn to relax about all this..it seems that nothing I try works..

Yesterday was this

wake 5:30
catnap 9:35-9:55
asleep 12:30 - 2:30 (I had to wake him)
bed 7 asleep 7:25 or so

today;
woke at 6 something (did initially wake at 5 but went back to sleep!! :o)

So I'll try catnap again but from past experience when he's had about 11rs at night and wakes after 6 - he usually refuses it...
Will see how it goes

Kelly - he hates anything on his feet while sleeping...and blankets - no way does he keep them on...
we live in Raleigh NC, so the weather is pretty good, and the house is pretty warm..

Jenny - R is the same way re:car - used to sleep when he was younger, but now no way unless like yours - it's a long drive and very tired...I used to think I too have the only child who doesn't sleep in the car..

Deb - u r so right - is it too much to ask for????lol!

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 13:23:09 pm by Zaiby »

Offline KellyC

« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2007, 13:13:07 pm »
Kelly- my question is, even though he wakes in the middle of the night, stirs, plays his aquarium, then goes right back to sleep, I shouldn't count that as a NW? 

I wouldn't - everybody wakes up during the night, I certainly do, but I just roll over and try to go back to sleep.  If your LO does that and is only awake for a short whlie I'd definitely say he's sleeping through!

Kelly x

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2007, 23:22:42 pm »
too cute ;D

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com

Offline KellyC

« Reply #1212 on: February 24, 2007, 12:57:57 pm »
Aw, that's exactly like Zander sometimes.  Bless his little red cheeks!

Kelly x

Offline R TULLOCH

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1213 on: February 24, 2007, 13:54:03 pm »
Anyone else got an 11 month old who seems to need to make the switch?

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1214 on: February 24, 2007, 19:32:19 pm »
Stacy, that video of Kaleb is too cute :D

We had a good start to the transition for the past 4 days.  I'm confused about today though:

6:45 Woke
9:30 In Bed...fell asleep 9:50
10:20 woke him
12:50 In bed, asleep 1:10
1:50 woke and I've been doing wi/wo for close to an hour.  I KNOW he's tired.  That sounds like overtired but it was a 30 min am nap with only 2.5h A time which has worked the past few days. 

I don't know about shortening the A time since it took him 20 mins to fall asleep.  What am I missing?  These lo's are a mystery  ;)