Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281193 times)

Offline *Kimberly*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #1230 on: February 25, 2007, 23:55:14 pm »
I would just wake to him and say your deal and leave if you dont think he needs the pd

wake?? wave??  ::lol::   ;D

Okay, thanks.   :-*  I am glad Kaleb had a good day.[/color]

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #1231 on: February 26, 2007, 01:44:38 am »
And this was a good nap day, huh?  ::lol::   :-*

Thanks.  His cold seems to be just about gone so we will try this a bedtime tonight.  Wish ms (or hubby, I might pass this off on him) luck..

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #1232 on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:36 am »
Stacy, my DD Loves watching the video of Kaleb waking up!  She has watched it over and over and thinks it is so cute  ;)

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #1233 on: February 26, 2007, 14:59:35 pm »
Okay, something isn't working.  Brendan woke up last night at about 4:30am and chatted/played for an hour and a half before going back to sleep.  Why is he having more nightwakings now?   ???

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #1234 on: February 26, 2007, 15:20:09 pm »
So even though he got the same amount of sleep (@2.5 hours) because it was in only one nap that could still mess him up?  Boy, this is confusing!  Okay, I am aiming for the short morning nap again today.

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #1235 on: February 26, 2007, 15:33:09 pm »
Sorry, maybe my sleep-deprived brain is causing some slight memory failure?   ;)  I think I tend to get caught up in a single nap or day and am not able to see the whole picture sometimes.  That is why I love you guys, you can see the whole picture and you show my my missteps.   ;D

He was up at about 7:30am, so I am going to try putting him down between 10 and 11am.  Hubby put him to sleep last night and said that he still needed the pd with the wi/wo.  It took a bit but he went to sleep without us so I am happy.

Offline jennyb133

• Jenny
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1236 on: February 26, 2007, 18:28:21 pm »
Today he woke earlier 6:15, I got him up. Although DH said he thought he had been awake since 5:30am.
He slept 9-9:30am cat-nap (actually woke on his own this time).
He had some crackers for snack around 10, at 11 he wanted more but I gave him an apple instead to munch on.  They he started to seem really tired around 11:30, but I thought he just had crackers & apple so I didn't think he was ready for lunch. Tried to put him down for a nap, but he fussed & fussed. I finally took him out at 12 & fed him lunch.  He ate it, but was really tired & started smearing food everywhere, rubbing his eyes & dumping his bowl on his head.  I cleaned him up, put clean clothes on & brought him back to bed.
Had to do wi/wo a few times. He's asleep at 1:30pm.
Hopefully he will sleep a few hours. What do you think? It was about 3hr. awake time in the morn. & then 4hr. awake time before the 2nd nap.
James~ 12/04/2005
Alexander~ 07/26/2007
Nicholas~ 09/05/2010

Offline x95stocchier

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1237 on: February 26, 2007, 19:12:17 pm »
How far do you cut the AM catnap?  Seems 20 min is too long now.  Do I try a 15 min catnap, then 10 etc?  Or is now the time I cut it all together? 
Sarah

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #1238 on: February 27, 2007, 00:58:34 am »
Sarah, what is happening with 20min naps for you? 30min in the am doesn't seem quite right for us, maybe it's time for 20min?

Friday he only slept 1hr in the pm after 20min am nap
Saturday was 1hr45min 1 nap day
Sunday was 30min am/2hr 30min pm(too much)
Today--woke at 5 (I think because of too long of nap yesterday) 30min am and then played in crib for 1hr this pm and finally slept at 1:45-2:30
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1239 on: February 27, 2007, 15:46:00 pm »
hey, I was hoping to get some feedback on our situation. My LO just turned 1 year last week, and for about the last month we've been working on the 2-1 switch. He started with a 30 minute nap in the morning, and then about 2 weeks ago was refusing to nap altogether for the 1st nap, and I just gave up and let him stay up and brought the afternoon nap forward. That worked like a charm at first, he would take a consistent 2-hour nap about 5 hours after waking in the morning, and then go to bed at his regular time. Then last week, some days he'd only sleep for 1 hour 15-20 minutes, but a couple of days he still did his 2 hour thing. It just doesn't seem like 1hour 15 minutes is long enough if he's only doing 1 nap! But, when I'd try putting him to bed early, he'd get up by that much earlier the next day, so I've been leaving bed times the same. Basically, he doesn't seem to be overtired, but I'm concerned about the length of nap. When he was a 2-nap a day, he'd get about that (1hour 15-30 minutes) twice a day.

So here's the basic thing:
        6:30a-7am wake up, breastfeed
          -an hour later, breakfast
          -a coupla hours later, lunch
          -breastfeed about 20 minutes before nap
        11:30/noon nap (for 1.25 to 2 hours)
          -breastfeed when wakes up
          -snack if he wants it
          -dinner at 6pm
          -bath, etc. at 6:45pm, breastfeed
        7:30pm bed time

I was also wondering, I remember Tracy writing that they sometimes start out on the smallish side of a nap when transitioning, and then eventually it works out to a nice long nap after they get used to doing the one-a-day. Do I just need to be patient? I got tired of fighting him for a cat-nap, but I can give it a whirl again if you think it's worth a try.

thanks!
-regina

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1240 on: February 28, 2007, 18:47:19 pm »
Ok...getting quite frustrated here.  When we started this transition I thought we were on the right track but both yesterday and today we end up with a 40 min afternoon nap  >:(

Here's what we've been doing:

Wake
2.5h A time
25-30 min nap
2.5h A time (asleep by 3h)

Wi/wo doesn't seem to do anything so I have nothing to try to get him back to sleep. 

Hmmm, he just woke now at 40 mins and cried HARD for a couple of mins.  I didn't rush in but was getting ready to go.  He is quiet so hopefully he has gone back to sleep.  Do I need LESS than 2.5h A time?  At a year?

I feel like I am going backwards with A time.  We used to have 3.25h before am nap, 3.5h before pm nap, and had 2 short naps (always struggled with short naps).  Now I have shorter A times, and still not great naps, although we have had a couple of better ones.  But instead of sometimes having early bedtime, we always have it now.  What am I missing as I am finding this frustrating?  :-\

Offline debo620

« Reply #1241 on: February 28, 2007, 19:29:34 pm »
M and N's mom---could you try 3hrs Atime in the morning or maybe 2.75hrs after the first nap? I also find Noah really needs alot of activity after the first nap to sleep well for the 2nd.

did he go back to sleep? Noah sometimes wakes half way through but goes back to sleep if he is tired enough for another 1hr+ I would bet your son isn't tired enough to sleep for longer then 40min. remember you also have those wicked long nights---12hr+++ maybe you could try taking some time off of your night---sounds crazy to me---by waking him every day at 6> making your night more like 11.5hrs and then you will have enough sleep hours to allow for 2hrs in nap time.  good news is that the time change is coming up  :D

I'm there with you on the frustration though. You are lucky that you do not have an early riser. I'm lucky to get 11hrs at night---in fact it is my goal, but more often then not it is only 10.5-10.75.
I think Noah could do one nap if he did 11hr+ nights but it just doesn't work when he's up any time btwn 5-6am.
today he woke at 5:30am after a 6:50pm bedtime, stayed in crib happily until 6:20am or so.
nap 1 9:30-9:55
I was going to go for a 12:30 nap time or so but he seemed sort of sleepy the whole time he was awake so I fed him early at 11:30 and I thought nap at 12, he was in bed after a diaper change at 12:10pm and its 12:45 and he's still playing?

sometimes their tired signs are so confusing!
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #1242 on: February 28, 2007, 19:58:58 pm »
He did go back to sleep and was still sleeping an hour later when I left for a meeting (DH was home) so I would say he was overtired, not undertired  ???

I would love to take an hour off of his night and add it to his nap, but an hour from the evening, not the morning!  I had forgotten about the time change - at least he will want to go to bed at 7 and not 5!

I feel for you having such an early riser!  At least he will play in his crib, but that is just too early!  My DD will play in her bed, but DS is having no part of that...LOL.  These 2 los are SO different  :D

Thanks for the moral support!  Hope your DS went to sleep for you!

Offline debo620

« Reply #1243 on: February 28, 2007, 20:11:38 pm »
m and N's mom---I think that is good he went back to sleep. really I think that's all that matters until they get used to 1 long nap.
Noah did finally go to sleep at 12:45pm,
my ulitmate goal would be nap 12-2pm---so I think I may cut the morning nap to 20min soon and then in bed 2hrs later. what I hate the most is all of this hanging around the house.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline debo620

« Reply #1244 on: March 01, 2007, 14:58:58 pm »
Stacy --that is great news--hope it continues and stays all sorted for your trip :D

I am kind of thinking the same with the naps---30min am nap is working with about asleep 3hrs later but then he'll only sleep 1hr30min----so this is 2hrs total sleep, and it leaves bout 41/2 hrs till bed after 1hr30min nap---ok right?

I really don't need to push this to a 2hr nap in the middle of the day then right? I'll have to readjust if he starts to refuse the am nap or if 30min is too much and he refuses the pm one but for now we still have two naps and thats ok.

not sure what i'll do today---Noah was asleep by 6:45pm after usual naps yesterday and then  awake in the night playing  ::)from 4-5am so we all slept after that till 6:45am. I don't think he'll nap at usual time of 9:30pm so maybe I'll do 9:45 and go from there. If he refuses, the I'll do nap at 12pm
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013