Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281181 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2006, 11:42:41 am »
Wendy - sounds like Zach did well yesterday!

Well after our only nap yesterday from 10:45-12:15, M went to bed at 6:45, woke up crying at 7:45 but went right back to sleep, whimpered at 2am and then woke for the day at 5:30  :(

So today will be a two nap day which works anyway since I wanted to visit my mom/sister (45 minute drive) this afternoon. So I'll let her take a long morning nap and then she can doze in the car on the way home from their house around 3:30/4pm. Poor girl - she's so in between - she hates to be woken from that morning nap but I have to if she's going to take two naps without benefit of the car. Ah well - we'll likely be back and forth for a little while.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2006, 12:39:15 pm »
Mydreamcametrue,

Yes DS is on 1 nap (most days).  He began transitioning around 14 months which I felt was really early, however...I guess he is the boss.  :-\ :-\

My advice would be to hold on to 2 naps a day...AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.   ;)

Judy

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2006, 13:18:56 pm »
Karen:  Good Luck with the naps today!  The car is always a lifesaver!!!  I think Zach has started to associate the car with sleep. If we have to go somewhere early in the morning (soon after he wakes up), he throws a fit when I put him in the car (is guess he is thinking, I'm not ready to sleep). 

TDR'smom:  LOL.  Yeah I guess I don't want the 2 naps gone so soon.

Good Luck everyone with NAPS today!

-Not sure how our day will go.  We have a playgroup at 11:15, so I am sure he will fall asleep on the way there.

-Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #393 on: September 20, 2006, 18:38:12 pm »
I'm with TDR'smom -- keep that regular 2 nap schedule for as long as possible!

With LOs that are going back and forth between 1 and 2 nap days, does anyone have any advice on when to bite the bullet and just go forward with 1 and how best to do it?  Do you need the morning wake time to be stable before you can do it?  (Hi, Peeper's Mom -- I'm STILL trying to figure it out!)

Offline Messa

• Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2006, 18:55:36 pm »
Well I am not sure if we are really ready for the 1 nap a day.  For a while our schedule has been pretty hectic running errands etc but now we are trying to get back to our schedule and DD seems to be overtired.  Before nap I give her a bottle and she has fallen asleep on it today and yesturday though she did sleep from about 11:20-2:10ish.  She also got cranky yesturday evening and fell asleep on her bedtime bottle.  She used to wake up around 7:30am and now she is waking between 5-6:30, she never gets upset so I just leave her to talk to herself and play, and often she will fall back asleep around 7ish and wake again at 7:30ish.  Also not sure what this had to do with but since I am whining thought I should add that she hasn't wanted to sit and eat in her highchair very well, she is acting cranky and doesn't want me to feed her, but if I sit and eat my dinner she will come up and want bites and she eats fine :(Ideas greatly appreciated TIA
Melissa

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2006, 19:05:45 pm »
Today has been a 2 nap day.  Looks like this is our routine now.  He has not cried or fussed today AT ALL.  Normally he is so so fussy.

Wake:  7:30
Nap 1:  10:00 - 11:15 (had to wake)
Nap 2:  3:00 - (proably about 4:00/4:15)
Bedtime 7:30/7:45

I still can't believe he can't handle more awake time.  He is 13 months old.  This is what makes him happy and I did read somewhere that babies that had severe colic, need more sleep.  He had very severe colic... 

Melissa:  MESSA:  I think what you are going through is very common at that age.  They are so curiuos on what is going on around them, they do not want to eat.  All you can is keep trying.
I did read somewhere that they may want to eat standing up sometimes.  So if she want eat in highchair, just let her come up to you for bites..... 

-Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2006, 21:52:07 pm »
we dont have a stable wake up time yet and i am resisting waking him up at the same time everyday.  We have never had a stable wake up time although if he is up before 7 am i leave him in there - even if it is a 5am wake up. Not out of the crib till 7.  It has been this way since 6 months........but still no stable wake up time.  If he sleeps later i let him because it is rare.  Except lately he has been mostly sleeping till 730-  that was a weird turn of events.

We went for it full kilter because I know our personalities and it would work better for US to both be on a predictable routine.  We did a pretty quick transition, too.  But the end of the first week we were at 4.5 hours of wake time in am and 5.5 in pm.

he had a bad nap today - woke at 40 minutes crying then 1h15 min crying again.......up we got.  So a bit earlier bedtime today - which is fine by me.  Just trying to figure out how to even make it to 7 pm w/Mr Fussy face here.

I think how you choose to do it should meld with your personalities and you should most importantly be consistent.

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2006, 12:08:40 pm »
Wendy - it's not at all strange that Zach still needs two naps and only 3.5 hours A time. Marisa is the same - I just have to limit that first nap to no more than one hour - but then she gets ed.. But today will have to be that way - she woke up at 5:55! Not surprising with a really busy day yesterday and a late car catnap. But maybe Zach is also finally feeling better from the Prevacid and that is helping him sleep and have more fun!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2006, 17:10:35 pm »
Grr I am mad at myself. I knew PJ needed to be down for his nap by 1145 but I was on the phone with a friend and felt rude interrupting her.........didn't get into nap routine until 1150 and boy oh boy he was angry.  I felt rushed, I literally picked him up from playing and tried to get him to take a nap.  he wasn't asleep until 1208.  Way too late for him.  I really wanted to try to keep him on schedule especially today b/c I have friends visiting and I want him asleep when they get here.   That was probably half the problem.  Made a plan then didn't stick with it.  Or -- I told him my plan and he was determined to mess it up. Hee hee

Anyway - I wil be interested to see if the nap is short b/c we missed his window.

Meg

** UPdate - we ended up with 1hour 20min nap - and he was happy.  Actually that works nicely with my plan of friends visiting - watch - they'll cancel on me!!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 17:47:10 pm by PeepersMom »
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2006, 17:51:19 pm »
Good Luck Meg:

Looks like for now we are no longer part of the 1 nap club, we are officially back to 2 naps.

Zach sleep today from 10:30-11:15 (in the car) and now he is back down at 1:45.  I wasn't going to lay hime down until his normal time at 2:45/3:00, but he was rubbing his eyes.  So I tried and he is OUT.

-Wendy
Wendy -

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2006, 18:56:50 pm »
we are signing off the 1 nap club today.  Just decided after 10 days of struggle and grumpy baby, that maybe he was telling me he's not ready.  So we've had 2 days of our little L back, with 2 delicious naps, and no early a.m. wake this morning!  Maybe I'll pop back in here in a few months.   ;) ;)
Sophie
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2006, 20:41:52 pm »
good luck Wendy and Sohpie - hope your babies are well rested!! and most importantly happy!

I think that for us we will go between long and not so long naps like we always have.  Before it was between 40min-1.5hours now it will be between 1 1/4hour -2.5hours.  He just seems to regulate himself.  If he is happy and not grumpy I am ok. I just really hate it when it seems that he is not getting the sleep he needs.  Well, that is the point of all this isn't it?  LOL

Meg
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2006, 12:16:53 pm »
Zander was asleep by 6.10pm last night after a hard (sleepless!) day at nursery.  He woke at 5.40am but was back to sleep by 6.30am and woke for the day at 7.45am.  My mum has him today and she had to give him lunch at 11.15am as he was so tired and he was fast asleep by 11.50am.  That's alot of sleep!!  Hopefully he'll have a good long nap so he can make it to a proper bedtime tonight!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2006, 15:45:56 pm »
Kelly - hope Zander gets some well needed rest today!  no nap yesterday must have been rough......

PJ was up at 640- which is very early for us.  I put him down at 1120 and he was out like a light.  I am hoping he will sleep a long nap today, but in any event he will be in bed early. 

I hope I can catch this poor sleep cycle before it gets too out of hand.  I know he can easily get into a bad overtired state if I don't watch what i am doing.

Meg

Update - well he slept 1hour 45 min which was nice, but I was really hoping he would go a little longer.  he will be in bed by 630 tonight.  Maybe then we can catch up.

How is everyone else?  Is it just Kelly, Grace and I now in the transition since we lost Sohpie and Wendy? 

Me again
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 17:23:40 pm by PeepersMom »
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2006, 18:35:55 pm »
Hi Meg

I feel like I've been here forever  :-\  It's good to know I have company though!

Zander did sleep at nursery yesterday, just not enough!  I wrote another post about it because I discovered they'd been trying to cuddle/stroke him to sleep and it was taking so long that by the time he was asleep it was too late and he was waking early over-tired.  They've agreed to hide behind another cot when they put him down because they're not allowed to leave them unattended and I've had to tell them to give him a dummy for his naps because if he makes noises whilst he's settling (which he does!) he'll wake the other babies and he's not allowed his bedtime cup of water because they can't leave them unattended with water.  I can't believe I only just found this out yesterday when I send him in each week with essays about when and how he should sleep!

Today at mum's he had a 2.5 hour nap which is great but he woke up poorly (again!) - he has diarrhoea, a temperature, dribble pouring from his mouth.  I know some of this is to do with the really bad teething he's experience but it looks like he's picked up another bug from nursery.  Poor wee boy only wanted to cuddle me when I got home from work and could hardly keep his eyes open.  He perked up after some medicine though.

How did PJ's nap go today?

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)