Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281182 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #465 on: September 27, 2006, 19:19:00 pm »
I have to keep reminding myself that they are especially sensitive during this nap tranistion. 

Don't we all know it  ;)  Good luck with today  ;D
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline KellyC

« Reply #466 on: September 27, 2006, 19:28:51 pm »
I know exactly what you mean Stacy - I can't remember when I stopped going to bed worried about when Zander would wake up but I did so hopefully I'll stop worrying about his naps one day!

As for getting drunk - DH is away for the night and I've opened a bottle of wine so expect some very strange posts from me this evening  :P

Kelly x

Offline KellyC

« Reply #467 on: September 27, 2006, 19:42:56 pm »
Lol, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm!

Offline KellyC

« Reply #468 on: September 27, 2006, 19:48:08 pm »
On a positive note, at least Kaleb is happy  ;D  If he weren't I'd be suspicious of the 1hr20 nap (2 x 40 minutes - I've so been there  ;)).  Maybe he is a little tired but he copes with it really well because that's just his personality and if he copes with it well maybe you can stop worrying about it and before you know it he'll be a couple of months older and he won't be!  Does that make any sense whatsoever  :P

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #469 on: September 27, 2006, 20:40:56 pm »
Hi Guys just though i would jump in. I have worked out that Catherine will do for her nap either 1.5hrs (2sleep cycles this one very rarly) 2.15hrs (3sleep cycles her normal) and she has done a few 3hrs (4sleep cycles). So Stacy could you try W2S at 1.15hrs to extend the nap?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #470 on: September 27, 2006, 22:06:49 pm »
This kid obviously doesn't need much sleep. Some adults are like that where as some (me included) need at least 8hrs sleep to function :P

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #471 on: September 27, 2006, 23:51:06 pm »
Quote (selected)
If it was the same i would be happy bec i could try wake to sleep.

Also, so you could have a little predictability.....

Stacy,

If he is happy on less sleep...TRY NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT.  You are just so lucky to have a happy baby!!  Especially if he will play quietly in his crib.  Some people say that quiet time is just as restful as sleep.  I know that I need at least 8-10 hours of sleep a night to function, however DH can function on 6!!!! 

Until tommorow......
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2006, 00:41:55 am »
I agree with Judy - I know it is crazy that he doesn't sleep more/need more than that but at least he's happy and will play in his crib for so long. I'm lucky to get 15-30 minutes TOPS of crib play from Marisa.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #473 on: September 28, 2006, 02:17:28 am »
Stacy, it sounds great that he is so happy...and you never know, he may suddenly decide to sleep more once he masters the walking thing and tires himself out that way!  And the amusing himself in the dark sounds like the best thing ever -- he's a genius!   :)

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #474 on: September 28, 2006, 02:21:00 am »
I think part of our "problem" is that he's decided it would be great to sleep an hour later and wake up at 7:30 as opposed to 6:30.  TRUST ME!  I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!  When he woke up at 6:30, he'd take a nap at 9:30 and another one around 2.  They were equal in length for the most part, but if I had to pick, I'd say that morning nap was shorter than the afternoon one.  So, tomorrow we won't get home until noon, so I will shove his lunch down his throat and throw him in bed asap  ;).  He's a very happy little guy until a molar starts coming in, then all hell breaks loose.

He went to bed at normal time and wasn't tired at all this afternoon.  I guess 12 hours of sleep at night means he only needs an hour and a half during the day.  TBH, I am afraid to try WTS and WI/WO does NOT work with this kiddo!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline MRenton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #475 on: September 28, 2006, 04:39:06 am »
Hi all, I am new to the message board but not new to BW! Have been using BW since bubs was born and he is now 18 months! I haven't had huge problems with sleep till now....not that it is such a huge problem but it is annoying!!Getting him down to one nap a day...so I have been slowly moving his morning nap-now on average at 10.45am sleeps till about 12.30pm..however, I find he could still do with an afternoon nap about 3.30/4.00pm even if it is a short one. If he doesn't take it-he has a major melt down.What to do!Enforce the afternoon nap?Try a later morning nap. Then how do you lenghthen this to 2-2 and half hours?I also find if he misses the arvo nap he is ready for bed by 6.30pm but then wakes at 6am instead of usual 7am!What to do!Any suggestions!?

Offline KellyC

« Reply #476 on: September 28, 2006, 08:06:24 am »
Hi MRenton and welcome  ;D

If your DS is waking at 12.30 then I agree he's going to need a short catnap to make it through the afternoon and to bedtime without getting overtired.  How long are you giving him for that nap?  I think I'd restrict it to 15 minutes so it's just enough to get him through another couple of hours.  How about making it a kind of non-official nap, so you go for a walk together, lie down on the bed, go for a car drive or whatever works for him.  That way you're not enforcing an actual naptime, just a few minutes for him to recharge his batteries if he needs it.

You may find he extends his nap by himself once he's able to stay up late enough to have his lunch before the nap, so his tummy's nice and full.  Do you think he could handle a little more A time yet?  I aim for 11.30 lunch and 12 nap but any time after 11 if Zander seems tired he has an early lunch and goes down for his nap.  It might help to take him for a nice long walk at around 9.30 - 10.30 then maybe he'll have an hour's A time left in him with all the energy he's conserved?  You could try lunch at 11 and nap at 11.30 but you'll need to make sure he has a fairly early and light breakfast if you want him to be hungry enough to eat a good lunch at 11.

Kelly x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2006, 11:22:51 am »
May be another long day here. Marisa woke at 5:45 am and chattered to herself for about 30 minutes. Then it got quiet for about 10 minutes or little more and then more chattering and the she wanted up at 6:40 - and had a dirty diaper. We have a music class at 9:30 today so going to try to get her to one long nap at 11:30 and hope for the best...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline KellyC

« Reply #478 on: September 28, 2006, 12:31:51 pm »
Good luck Karen and enjoy your class ;D

I thought it might be time to come off our sick sleeping routine and I was right!  After Zander's 3.5 hour nap yesterday I put him to bed at usual time and when I checked on him half an hour later he was still led staring at the ceiling!  He also woke at around 1am and fussed for a while so I went straight in expecting a yucky nappy but he was just sat up wide awake drinking his water so time to cut back to a normal amount of sleep! 

He was up for the day at 6.40 with that yucky nappy  :-X  I took him for a walk this morning and at around 10.30 he was whinging and crying loads and I thought he was tired but when we got home I realised he'd spilt his drink and had been sat in a big wet patch  :P  He played happily for a while then got fussy again but I think he was hungry as he's getting his appetite back.  He had a long and leisurely lunch (in front of the tv - bad mummy but I'm trying to be laid back about his eating whilst he's off colour and he plays up when I sit at the table with him trying to feed him!) and went for his nap just before 12.30 - tired but not too upset.  I'll wake him at 2.45 if he's not already awake.

Kelly x

Offline shelliz

• Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #479 on: September 28, 2006, 14:05:10 pm »
Kelly....

I know Zander is just getting over being sick. Jess is finally getting better too. She is totally better accept for a bit of a snotty nose. Is is unfair of me to wake her after 30 minutes (for her first nap) when she has just a snotty nose? I did give her a bit of decongestion meds. What do you think?

Shelby  :)