Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281184 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #615 on: October 05, 2006, 17:02:58 pm »

Ok well I put him down at 5hours awake time plus a little, it was 1140 and he woke up at 1hour15 min!  WTH??  I wonder now if I should just put him down at 12 so tht if it is a short nap he can make it to bedtime, and if he has a long nap it is still ok bedtime.  Ugh.

the painters didnt' wake him, he just woke up on his own.  They were on a break.  LOVELY>

I really should be happy that I have gotten even a few good naps in the past month.  It took months to get PJ to take an occasional good nap when we were on 2 naps, and when he did nap well most of the time it only lasted 2 months total.  And there were still bad naps off and on in those 2 months were I was needing to tweak A times.  Try to keep it real.  You would think I would be used to his poor naps, but no.  I hate it almost as much as I did when I was doing pat/shush over his crib for 45min every nap. Oy my aching back! PLOM (poor little old me)

;D ;D ;D ;D
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #616 on: October 05, 2006, 17:04:10 pm »
Quote (selected)
I hate it almost as much as I did when I was doing pat/shush over his crib for 45min every nap.  PLOM (poor little old me)

(((((((HUGS))))))))

I know the feeling and can totally sympathize!!!  HANG IN THERE!   
Judy

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #617 on: October 05, 2006, 17:43:34 pm »
I know all of us are mostly still transitioning to one good nap a day. I have a question (again  ::)) for those of you who could help.

I am still giving jess a small nap in the am and then putting her down for her (hopefully) long nap in the afternoon.  For those of you who went the way we are going (very short am nap then a long early pm nap)...how long before you totally quit doing the short am nap?  I am wondering if Jess even needs it at all.

This is what we are doing now.

6:30
9:45 nap (20 or 30 minutes)
10:05 wake her
1:05 put her down
1:25 or 1:30 finally asleep

*the past several days I have been doing lots of w2s's to get us to the 2 hr mark. Yesterday she did 2 hrs and 10 minutes.

She usually gets 11.5 hrs at night. Since I have been doing the 2-1 transition...she still doesn't go down too terribly fast at the second nap or at night.

What do you all think? Keep doing what I am doing for a while or go cold turkey and take away the morning nap. Will anything negative happen by taking away the am nap?

TIA  mucho mucho!!!!

:) Shelby

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2006, 17:45:40 pm »
Meg - the eye teeth could totally be messing with his sleep - those are supposedly the most painful and are giving Marisa a hard time too - she definitely naps better the days I give her Motrin first but I don't like to give it every day.

Sounds like a good night for Tyler!

Marisa is still sleeping now at 2 hours and 10 minutes. Guess I'll let her go until 2 if she can/wants and then wake her (would be 2.5 hours).

Good idea with the snack. She doesn't like yogurt - maybe a small cookie? What kind? I do give her some juice before class but it doesn't seem to help...

Shelby - does she seem to need the morning nap? What happens if you try to stretch her and do an early lunch at say 11 and nap at 11:30?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2006, 18:08:49 pm »
Judy -- thanks for the encouragement...we'll see how today goes!

Shelby -- we did the same as you and we had to start with lunch around 10:45 and nap around 11:15.  There are some days they're too tired and you have to do 2 naps and some days where he'd fall asleep while eating lunch (with food in his mouth), but you might try it and see what happens.  I've read that others have kept shortening the morning nap (until it's just a little 10-15 minute catnap) and moving the afternoon up with success as well.  It seems like from what the rest of us are going through that if Jessica isn't ready to drop that am nap, you'll see it pretty quickly in overtired type behavior.

Karen -- maybe some fruit?  Grapes work particularly well for Lucas -- I think a combination of the sugar and the fun of eating them gives him a boost.

Meg -- it's the uncertainty that gets us, doesn't it?   ;)  Hang in there !

grace

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #620 on: October 05, 2006, 18:27:22 pm »
Stacy -- you're not the devil!  I think that's what has happened with ours as well...I'm with you -- avoid the overtired cycle for as long as you can!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #621 on: October 05, 2006, 18:36:54 pm »
Shelby-I'm in agreement with some of the other ladies.  Try your best to keep 2 naps for as long as possible!!  When the PM nap REALLY becomes a problem, then revisit the issue.  Otherwise, enjoy the break you are getting 2x a day.  Hold off on becoming 1 nap crazy like the rest of us where we obsess all day over the 1 nap and end up coming here to complain and moan.  LOL    ;D ;D ;D

Karen-Grace's suggestion of some fruit is probably a better idea.   :-[ :-[ :-[  Otherwise, maybe some Teddy Grahams or Graham Crackers?  Pudding?  Definitely give it to her BEFORE the class so it has time to wear off before her nap.   That is awesome that she took a nice long nap today.  Good Girl Marisa. 

Stacy-Poor Kaleb, he is just too busy to sleep!  At least he is not cranky!  Any nap under 2 hours and Tyler is Mr. Cranky Pants.
Quote (selected)
I thought I might be kinda sexy in devil horns!
  Halloween costume maybe?
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #622 on: October 05, 2006, 18:55:44 pm »
LOL Stacy!

She woke on her own after 2.5 hours, which is awesome. Definitely thinking the teething (top left eye tooth) is making her extra sleepy. She doesn't do fresh fruit (don't ask) but I can do dried fruit and/or graham crackers...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #623 on: October 05, 2006, 20:09:40 pm »
Judy -- LOL about the coming here to complain, because that's exactly why I logged back on.  Lucas went down at 11:10 (exactly 5.5 after wakeup), and slept for 40 MINUTES!  What is going on?!!!  Although it was short last night, he did sleep well, so I don't think he could be that overtired...do they also sleep shorter if they suddenly can do more awake time and are put down too early?

Hold off on becoming 1 nap crazy like the rest of us where we obsess all day over the 1 nap

No kidding!  LOL

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #624 on: October 05, 2006, 20:20:20 pm »
Hi guys! Just reading thru the last post think we need to join u on this board (actually is there a 'no nap' board ::) LOL!) Stacy, interesting about the cutting am nap out too soon, think we r stuck in the same rut as you! we r getting less daytime sleep every day!

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #625 on: October 05, 2006, 20:50:17 pm »
SHUT UP GRACE NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Let me have a talk with Lucas.  That is crap.   >:(  And Kaleb and PJ too for that matter....... ;D

I think I have my plan.  this is what I did when we had trouble with 2 naps and nothing I did made any difference.  I just put him down at 9 and 1 and that was it.......and once he started to nap well, I could switch it around based on how he was acting and how well he slept, but until then it was 9/1.  I think I am going to go with 12 for now.  Until he starts doing good naps more regularly it is going to be 12.  And bedtime 630/7 depending on the nap length.

That is my plan today.  talk to me tomorrow.

Crazy......

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline KellyC

« Reply #626 on: October 05, 2006, 20:52:23 pm »
Arghh - I've been at work all day and I couldn't connect to the internet earlier this evening so I don't have time to catch up properly.  Sorry - I did log on at work in my lunch break to read your posts and I've been thinking of you all  :-*

On the 2 nap thing, Stacy's right we did it for ages.  We probably started with a 45 minute morning nap and a long after lunch nap at 8 months and we gradually reduced it to 30 minutes then 20 minutes.  I knew it was time to stretch Zander to one nap because he started refusing to go down at a time in the morning which would still enable him to sleep 2 hours after lunch (which I didn't want to lose) and he also started to refuse to go down for his after lunch nap if he slept for more than 15 minutes during the morning.  I still make sure he has quiet time when his morning nap was and I really think this helps.

Shelby - I think you should put Jess down for her afternoon nap earlier if she's not going to sleep until 1.30pm.  I think that's probably too late after a 20 minute nap in the morning and maybe too long after her lunch (when does she eat?).  If she's fuller and less tired you may be able to give up your 20 minute w2s routine!  Definitely aim for getting her settled at 12.30 and see what happens.

Kelly x 
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #627 on: October 05, 2006, 21:44:10 pm »
Meg,
I'm kind of thinking the same thing...maybe 11:30 for my early riser.  But of course, now that I've written that, he will throw me a loop by waking at 4:30 tomorrow.  Or 7:30 (ha! Dare to dream!).

Kelly, have you noticed that it goes differently on the days Zander's at nursery and when he's at home?  Just curious if the peer pressure or other caregivers makes any difference.

grace

Offline shelliz

• Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #628 on: October 06, 2006, 01:20:29 am »

Shelby - I think you should put Jess down for her afternoon nap earlier if she's not going to sleep until 1.30pm.  I think that's probably too late after a 20 minute nap in the morning and maybe too long after her lunch (when does she eat?).  If she's fuller and less tired you may be able to give up your 20 minute w2s routine!  Definitely aim for getting her settled at 12.30 and see what happens.

Kelly x 

Kelly.....If I put Jess down for 20 minutes, 3 hrs after she wakes in the morning. It usually seems like she isn't tired for the long nap by 12:30. 

She usually wakes at 6:30, put her down at 9:30 till 9:50. Then if I put her back down in 2.5...she hasn't been tired enough to fall asleep w/in 30 minutes.  Do you think I should try and condition her to go down after 2.5?  I hate to take the 20 minute nap away just yet as it seems like she still needs it.

I have been putting her down right after she eats. I feed her chicken for every lunch (this is the only meat she will eat) as well as wheat cracers w/ either American cheese or cream cheese. Then I will give her a soft granola ceral bar (apple cinnamon).  I am struggling getting her to eat a variety of things for lunch and dinner. I feel like I am getting 'enough' in to fill her up w/ some protein and carbs. She also drinks a cup of whole milk after her meals.  I haven't been giving fruits much (accept for small snack after naps).

Let me know what you think about her schedule (weather or not to try and condition her to going down at 2.5 hrs)

Thanks Kelly!
 I know you're busy!

:-* to Zander!

Offline KellyC

« Reply #629 on: October 06, 2006, 12:31:27 pm »
{{hugs}} Stacy, I hope Kaleb's better soon and maybe the cold will help him to get some more rest in an odd way!

Shelby - sometimes if they're taking a long time to settle, just putting them down 10 minutes later will make all the difference.  I'd try putting her down at 12.40 and see what happens.  Let me know and if that doesn't help we can look at something else!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)