Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281187 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #780 on: November 06, 2006, 11:50:44 am »
I am just reading again because I think my DD is ready for 1 nap.

DD is 16 1/2 months old, I know it is late but she is a keen sleeper  lol.

She is awake for 4 hrs before first nap, I limit this to 30mins, then 4hrs to 2nd nap I limit to 1 1/4 hrs.

For a few days now she hasn't been going straight to sleep, and this has affected her bedtime being on 2 naps, about 1hr 30mins in total, not enough sleep, as she normally wants 2hrs.

I thought go for 1 nap today and see how she does.

6.30am Wake
11.20am Nap hopefully about for about 2hrs.
1.30pm Wake up (hopefully not before hand)
6.30pm bed.

How does this sound to you ladies.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #781 on: November 06, 2006, 12:15:39 pm »
Corrina I think that sounds great!  That is just about the same schedule we started out with for PJ.  Lets just hope she doesn't end up sick or teething or learning to walk or something!  like most of us ended up with to really mess w/things during the transition.  If she is a good sleeper it probalby will be a nice transition for you.  Good luck!

I can't believe I am saying this but I am one nap away from going back to 2 naps due to the time change!  We were chugging along just great and the time change just put us over the edge and he can't seem to figure it out.  He was up at 6am this morning.  he fell back to sleep for 30min at 630 but all morning he was very tired and I put him down at 1130. If he doesn't sleep 2 hours we won't make it to 7 again and once again, an early night which will mean an early wake up.  So if this happens again, I am going to do 2 naps for the rest of the week.  If they are all short then we will try once again with 1.  It seems crazy that the time change can effect him so dramatically, but like I said in my previous post, it did last year as well.

So weird
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 17:01:14 pm by PeepersMom »
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #782 on: November 06, 2006, 17:59:12 pm »
Hope he sleeps at least 2 hours for you Meg. The update here is that after waking at 5:40 and being really cranky and barely eating, I discovered that Marisa's third eye tooth (bottom right) has just poked through. Poor girl and thank goodness for Motrin. Anyway, she didn't want to nap until 11:35 - she's been asleep for almost 1.5 hours now but have bad feeling she may wake soon because of loud banging next door (apartment being renovated) and because nanny/sitter is starting today and will be here any minute. We'll see - would love a big nap for her to catch up a little.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #783 on: November 06, 2006, 19:02:31 pm »
hi ladies! After skimming your posts it sounds like we are all in a similar boat. It is funny how there is such a wide range of routines. Here I was so naive to think that doing by "the book" would solve everything  ::) ::) ave you guys read the 2 to1 tranistion in the last BW book? Tracy makes it sound so easy and even says "Presto!". lol Needless to say, it didnt work for my spirited bub.

Gage wouldnt take his catnap for 2 days, but did today. I think it was because he only had a 1 hr nap yesterday! God I wish he could just tell me when he is sleepy. In fact, he doesnt even really get crabby even on a hour of sleep.

Kelly, I think I will take your advice and just keep offering the catnap. He has taken it 2 out of 4 times. I guess that's not too bad. The only bad thing is he needs 5 hrs before bed so his bedtime will be 8-8:30. Is that terrible?

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #784 on: November 06, 2006, 20:02:18 pm »
Just to update you.  She had 1hr 30mins nap, woke at 1pm, was really happy, so I left in her cot, to see if she would go back to sleep, didn't, I eventually got her up at 1.25pm.  Put her to bed at 6.30pm asleep by 6.50pm.

Meg,  we have just gotten over teething, 8 through at once, 4 molars and 4 canines, it was rough but not as rough as I thought it would be, she is now walking, so I am very lucky, to get the teething and the walking over and done with before we went to 1 nap.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #785 on: November 06, 2006, 22:16:45 pm »
ok, now I am going to cry! Gage went down for his second nap at 1:15 (with much protest) and he STILL only slept 30 min! So today looks like this:

6:50 wake
9:45 sleep
10:15 wake
1:15 laid down
1:30 sleep
2:05 wake

I am just at a loss. Have you ever had this happen kelly?

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #786 on: November 07, 2006, 00:02:30 am »
Kelly....Just wanted to thank you for your response! I am going to try giving her 30 minutes instead of 20 and see if that helps. If it doesn't then I will try giving 45 and putting her down for her second nap at 1/1:30 and see then. I did w2s last night after 20 minutes of her being asleep and she didn't wake up at that hour mark.  That may only be a temporary fix. I am going to try your ideas!  thank you thank you thank you!

:) Shelby

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #787 on: November 07, 2006, 01:25:44 am »
Gage's Mom - when PJ was on 2 naps I had to extend the afternoon awake time to get a long nap.  So 3 hours in the am and 3.5 in the pj for a nap to be longer than 45 min.  I would also have to make the eve awake time even longer = like 4 hours. 

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 15:46:03 pm by PeepersMom »
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #788 on: November 07, 2006, 15:51:39 pm »
Well, PJ only slept 1h15 yesterday and I put him down for bed about 10min early - so he was definitely asleep by 630pm.  He made up some sleep and woke at 655 am so that was great and much needed.  Now, because he slept so well last night I am going to try 1 nap again.......  If it doesn't take today then I am going to go back to 2.  If he only takes a short nap on a day when he isn't overtired then I am getting a serious sign that he just isn't quite ready.  Since we started this 2months ago he was doing well at first, then we went through a horrible week, then he got better and was doing 1.5-2.5 for a while....now we are back to horrible and it has been long enough.  So today might be the last day of our 1 nap for a little bit.

Good luck everyone with naps today!
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #789 on: November 07, 2006, 16:57:00 pm »
12 hrs of night sleep, congrats! I just love it when that happens. I always sweat it when I have to put Gage to bed at 6:00-6:30. Were you having night issues with your lo a little while ago? If so did you ever figure out what was going on? We were having prob too(knock on wood), and I never did figure out what it was. I was thinking he was overtired and waking or he was wanting to practice his new skill of walking. 

Also, that was the same 2 nap routine we were on and then we were having problems fitting everything it. Gage needs 5 hrs of A time before so it makes everything difficult. I think changing to one nap is the worst because if you bomb one nap you make it up with another kwim.

Good luck today.
Alice

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #790 on: November 07, 2006, 18:28:04 pm »
Alice - I don't think we've ever had a 30 minute second nap but we've had 1-1.5 hours all as a result of over-tiredness.  Zander's afternoon nap is never later than 1pm (any later and he gets a second wind) so unless he seems tired earlier we go to his room to get ready at 12.45.  A while ago I was convinced Zander was needing less sleep but one day I heard him cry out during his nap after 2 sleep cycles which made me wonder whether it was actually overtiredness so the next day I put him down for his afternoon nap 15 minutes earlier than usual and let him sleep 2 hrs 15 and I put him to bed 15 minutes early and it got him back on track - I would always err on the side of overtiredness at this age when they're so active (in body and mind!).  If the earlier afternoon nap doesn't help I would think about reducing the morning catnap by 5 minutes every couple of days, though you may have to also pull the afternoon nap back to around 12.30 at the same time.

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #791 on: November 07, 2006, 20:18:21 pm »
Alice -  I really believe that PJ's nighttime was a mix of things.....overtired, cold, teeth.  They finally did go away.

Ok now I am confused.  Today he slept 1h35 min.  Huge improvement, but still short IMHO. I feel they need 2 hours of daytime sleep.  but I am willing to accept that this was a much better day and possibly if I put him down a little later this morning his nap would have been a little longer.  So I guess I will consider today a successful 1 nap day and put him down around the same early time - 630ish because the nap wasn't so great.

DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #792 on: November 08, 2006, 13:31:59 pm »
Hi there,

We are still in the middle of our 2-1 switch and this is the second time I have done it. With DD it was so tough and took so long. I think mainly because I had to go back to work and couldn't sort it all out 4 days a week. With DS because I am around I can work things for how he is feeling. I kinda know how much I can push him etc (until teething and illness kicks in). What I am aiming for is a sleep after lunch so both DD and DS go down at the same time. What I am doing is if I know he has no chance of making it through to lunch I head out and let him have a very short nap on the way to somewhere in the car. This will then charge him a little until after lunch. If I know he's really tired in the morning I put him down.  Somtimes I let him have as long as he wants and then I either put him down for a short nap around 4ish and wake or again head out for the nap. Has this sort of thing worked for anyone else during the transition which I guess could take a while especially if some days get thrown off with outings or illness etc.

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #793 on: November 09, 2006, 19:56:02 pm »
1 day is all I had of one nap, she reverted back to her 2 naps again, I don't know whats going on  ???
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #794 on: November 10, 2006, 18:30:47 pm »
We are at 2 naps this week but now I know it is b/c of illness.  He is really super sick and not sleeping well at night.  2 naps are ok, but not great.  He couldn't possibly stay up till 1130 am at this point after his bad nights (coughing, crying) that we have been putting down at 9/930 and again 3.5-4 hours after morning wake up.  It has been hit or miss, but it is all we can do right now. 

We got back from the doctors and they put him on Albuterol inhalers 4x/day for his chest wheezing.  I can't even imagine how that is supposed to happen!  And the side effects can be irritability.  GREAT  They said to do it for 3 days minimum.   Poor kid

Corrina, what is your schedule?  How do you decide 1 vs 2 naps?  Just wondering......
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12