Author Topic: Waking up Screaming?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline PoppetK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:28:13 am »
Hi

My little boy is 7 months old and has always been a pretty good sleeper.  He went from 7pm - 11pm (dreamfeed) and then until 7am the next morning.

Up until 2 weeks ago he was swaddled for all naps and nighttime sleep but we've sucessfully managed to ditch the swaddle and he now settles really well without it.  It took a few days, but we got there eventually.

Anyway, since the removal of the swaddle he seems a lot more disturbed.  He stirs a lot more but 9 times out of 10 he'll just fall back asleep himself but the other time he wakes absolutely SCREAMING the place down.  I go up, give him back his dummy and he's fine, straight back to sleep.

Can anyone shed any light on why the screaming?  It's real upset sounding crying.

Thanks,
Hayley

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: Waking up Screaming?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:28:56 am »
Hi Hayley

Well I'm not entirely sure, sorry  :-[

I'm wondering if it could be just his increased awareness as he gets a bit bigger, if he is getting a bit of a fright when he wakes up because "something" has changed - it's darker in the room, the noises in the house have stopped etc etc.  Or maybe he is starting to experience dreaming and that is waking him with a startle.  Or he is just still adjusting to being unswaddled and he bats himself in the head or something like that.

Whatever it is, he sounds like he is going well with the transition and he is moving through sleep cycles independently generally.  I think the way you are responding is great - he will get the hang of things soon enough.  Well done!

Offline PoppetK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:36:32 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if it's something developmental.  In the last few weeks he's really mastered rolling over (which he now does in his cot) can stand on his own feet, clap his hands etc.

It has actually got better since I last posted, only happens occasionally.

Thanks again,
Hayley x

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Waking up Screaming?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 14:58:08 pm »
maybe lo still needs the swaddle to keep him from stirring quite as much...have you tried the aussie swaddle - the link is at the top of the general sleep forum and might be a good thing to use to get a better/smoother transition for your lo...just a thought.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005