Author Topic: Getting LO past catnap, through bath 'till bedtime  (Read 1682 times)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
Getting LO past catnap, through bath 'till bedtime
« on: April 25, 2006, 22:31:22 pm »
Hello,

Ok, now that my LO is on 4hour easy, we are having a rough time getting him by after his catnap 'till it's time for bed...  :-\ First of all, his catnap is roughly around 5:00 - 5:45 but then the problem is holding him off happy through his bath and feed @ 7:00 before bed. He is fussy after his catnap as he hasn't gotten to rest well and so it's hard to keep him occupied untill bath time. And that too sometimes we just get by. Often, by the time the bath is given and he is ready for feed and bed, it's earlier than 7:00. Is this just something that will sort itself out eventually as he is able to stay up a little longer? Is there anything I can do?

I've tried feeding him when he gets up of his catnap and that usually helps to keep him less grumpy. But that disrupts the flow of how the routine should go...

What to do?
Thanks for suggestions and opinions!
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Getting LO past catnap, through bath 'till bedtime
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:42:17 am »
I've tried feeding him when he gets up of his catnap and that usually helps to keep him less grumpy. But that disrupts the flow of how the routine should go...

Does this work?

If so, I would continue - I had to do this up until DS was about 6 months.

Can you post your routine?
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 17:01:56 pm »
Yep, it usually seems to work. So, it doesn't matter if it's not 4 hours since last feed? I've been trying to avoid doing it since it's usually only 2.5 to 3 hours since his last feed...

Here is what our routine looks like lately :

E-7:00
S- around 9:00 (lenght varies depending if we are able to extend or not...)

E- 11:00
S- 12:50 (same thing about lenght)

E- 3:00
S- 4:45 (about 40-45 min)

So he usually wakes around 5:30 and this is where I'm not sure what to do... We keep him up a little, then we bathe him, feed and then bed between 7:00-7:30 (depending if he goes down good or not...)

All these times vary depending on the time he wakes up in the morning and nap lenghts...

If I do feed him when he gets up from his catnap, do I fit any other feeds in the evening? What would the evening routine look like?

The bath thing is another question, as I'm never sure how long he can last in the evening after his catnap. I want to give his bath as close to bedtime as possible to make it part of his bedtime routine, but since I don't know how long he can last before he's tired, I'm never quite sure how long to wait before giving it to him...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 17:03:28 pm by nathansmum »
Marilyn,

Offline Lªuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 18:13:43 pm »
we do this in a day
E0730
E1200
E1630
E1900 or 1930 (depending on last nap  ;))

Do you log your routine everyday, you should be able to see a patten emerging relating to the last 'A' time between nap and bedtime.
Lauren x

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 23:28:31 pm »
Thanks!
We do keep a log daily. I will go back and check what our evenings have looked like lately.

So from your post, I guess it would be ok to feed him when he wakes from his catnap 2,5-3 hours after his last feed. What should I do then? Do I re-feed him before bed to make sure he makes it up to the DF or do I just go through bath, bedtime routine and bed and hope that he lasts?

Also, if he mantra cries after I put him down @ 7:05 untill 7:30, does that mean he was overtired. I guess it is a long while to last from 5:40 to 7:00 only on the rest provided by a catnap. Does that mean I should do his bath earlier and aim for an earlier bedtime?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 23:53:27 pm by nathansmum »
Marilyn,

Offline Lªuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 17:29:59 pm »
So from your post, I guess it would be ok to feed him when he wakes from his catnap 2,5-3 hours after his last feed. What should I do then? Do I re-feed him before bed to make sure he makes it up to the DF or do I just go through bath, bedtime routine and bed and hope that he lasts?
Hi

Yes, I would feed 2.5/3 hrs adter last feed, you can also try a bit before and after his bath or just before.
What time is your DF?

Also, if he mantra cries after I put him down @ 7:05 untill 7:30, does that mean he was overtired. I guess it is a long while to last from 5:40 to 7:00 only on the rest provided by a catnap. Does that mean I should do his bath earlier and aim for an earlier bedtime?
I would say it is most likely he is just settling down to sleep, I think 20 mins is average. He is eventually going to sleep in his own?  I would change anything just now.
Lauren x

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 17:35:07 pm »
Our DF is usually anywhere from 10:30 to 11:00 pm.
And yes, he eventually goes to sleep on his own.
Marilyn,

Offline Lªuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 18:37:23 pm »
If you think he will wake before the normal DF time (because you are feeding earlier) bring the DF forward slightly and then gradually push back when you are confident he won't wake.
Lauren x

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 19:10:02 pm »
OK thanks!
Marilyn,