Author Topic: 3 Hr vs 4 Hr EASY  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Duckie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 183
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:42:23 am »
Jacob is 4 weeks old and has been on formula for the last 2 weeks (abour 5-6 ozs, usually closer to the 5 I'd say unless it's a night waking after a long stretch).  When I was nursing we were on a modified 2 hr EASY because he was jaundiced but since it cleared up and we switched to a 3.5 or 4 hr routine.  I did this because with Andrew I fed him every 4 hrs and it seemed to work.

Well it ain't workin'!

Basically what seems to be happening is he wakes up about a 3 hrs after his last feed and has 30 or 60 mins or so to go before feeding time again.  By that point he's tired when he eats and sometimes falls asleep while drinking.

I don't have BWSAYP, so I was unaware of the 3 hr EASY....what age is it recommended for?  So would I just cut down the amount he has each bottle (like say 4.5-5 ozs) and then feed every 3 hrs?  When do you move to 4 hr EASY?
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 3 Hr vs 4 Hr EASY
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 13:01:10 pm »
Duckie
3 hour EASy for babies under 4 months
4hour EASY for 4months and over.

These are the general guidelines from Tracy, however all babies are different and there are signs that the baby shows when they want to change from 3 to 4 hrs.  Going to 4hr also means dropping a feed.

I have also posted a guide from the book, just as a plan to let your see.

Try and go to a 3hr EASy and you may get on better with overtiredness. etc.

If you need more info. give us a shout.
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 13:05:14 pm »
Days 1-3 = 3hr EASY
The Goal = 4hr EASY

Go back and start at the 3hr EASY and look to change when your LO is giving you the signals he wants to change (I will post later)
The plan I have posted is the one to transition your LO from 3 to 4 EASY, I have posted it for the purposes of letting you see the big difference in the 2 EASY's.

Hope this makes sense  :-\

Lauren x

Offline Duckie

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 13:14:12 pm »
That makes so much sense.

I swear he's trying to get himself on a 3 hr EASY, but his silly mommy isn't listening!  If he could slap me across the face and say, "Listen woman!" he would!

Thank you so much...I'll start this today.....
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline Duckie

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 00:39:51 am »
Started this today.....followed Day 1-3 to a "T" pretty much except he can't stay up as long as listed, so his naps were a little longer and A was a little shorter.  And he wouldn't cat nap so he went to bed extra tired.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!  I'll let you know how the dream feed and night go (never did a dream feed with A, did cluster feeding but he was a bit older).

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 05:54:33 am »
Glad to hear it's going well - keep up informed of your progress  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Duckie

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 12:46:22 pm »
Well.........

Did dream feed at 10 (the sheet says 11 but I was tired!)  He woke up at 1, tried giving paci but he didn't want it, offered a bottle which he finished.  For some reason it took until almost 3 to settle him (actually I think he was upset over being offered the paci when he was hungry and he worked himself into a state!) then he woke up at 5 hungry again.  Got him settled again and dh got up with him around 730 and he ate around 8ish (dh couldn't remember when I had gotten up with him).  He's back for a nap now.

I had hoped that, like the sheet, he would have a dream feed and sleep until 6 or 7 am, but I have to remember he's only a month old (A didn't sleep 8 hrs until he was closer to 3 mos) and he hasn't read Baby Whisperer.

And so we try again!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 15:07:37 pm »
Duckie the DF takes about a week to see any improvements.

You can DF anytime between 10 -11pm
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 15:15:43 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x