Author Topic: Need help with sleep change after reflux diagnosis & change in formula!  (Read 899 times)

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
PLEASE HELP!!  I would sure appreciate some advice for this first time Mum!
My seven week old has now been on Zantac (for reflux) and his new formula, Alimentum, for just over a week now.  We've noticed HUGE improvement!  We still must keep the crib mattress elevated and burp him really well, and keep him upright for 20 minutes or so, after feeding.  We started EASY (to a tee) his first week and even though he screamed alot and was in pain & hardly slept, he'd wake almost to the minute on three hours for feeding and on two hours in the evening for cluster feeding.  My question now though, is even though we are still doing EASY, he is VERY hard to put down after the last cluster feed (fussy and squirmy) and then once he's down, it's only 20 minutes until dream feed (he only takes 1-2 oz.) time.  He sleeps OK after the dream feed (but need to need the shh/pat thing),  Then, he's up anywhere from 1-3am and he WILL NOT settle down (fussy & squirmy & WIDE awake).  Then by the time he settles, it's 4-6am and time to feed again (after trying to let him go as long as possible) because he starts his obvious hunger cry/scream.  Then, after that feed, which is the only time he seems to be eating quickly, he goes to sleep perfectly (as soon as his head hits the mattress) and I have to wake him up to feed, three hours later (7-10am) b/c it's "morning", not night time.  Then he sleeps perfectly again!  The afternoons he tends to be more fussy for awhile, but manageable, b/c I usually go for a walk or to the supermarket.  Is this a sign that his days/nights are off kilter?  How do I fix this?!!  I am a wreck at this time of day b/c I'm still totally sleep deprived from the last 6 weeks of having no more than 1/2-1hr. sleep at one time!  If it helps to know, he regularly takes the same amount of food at every feeding, including the cluster feeds ... maybe he's taking too much at cluster feeds and it's keeping him awake?!  PLEASE HELP!!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Can you give us a run-down of your typical day's schedule, including what times and for how long he naps?  Then we'll see where we can offer advice.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007