Author Topic: To Karita- Shortest nap of the day is???  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Jack aged 2 years/ Rya aged 1 month
To Karita- Shortest nap of the day is???
« on: May 01, 2006, 14:51:11 pm »
Hi Karita-
I read somehwere on here that you thought the shortest nap of the day should be in the morning? So then should we forget the catnap at 4:00 pm and make it a 2 hour?
Incase you forgot who I am- DS is 5 months- tons of nightwakes- desp. trying to tweak routine to cut out early morning wakes and nightwakes.
Schedule:
E- 7
A
S- 8:30-10
E- 11
A
S12:30-2
E-3
A
S- 4:30-5:00
E/S- betweeb 6 and 7
Mom to "Textbook" Jack born Dec 3, 2005
and (?) Rya- Feb 13, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Offline UNCMomma

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
Re: To Karita- Shortest nap of the day is???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 15:43:55 pm »
I'm interested in your response too, my LO's shortest and most difficult nap is ALWAYS the first one of the day in the AM.  This is opposite of what everyone else seems to experience, with the best nap being in the morning.  My LO's awake time has to be extra short for this one for her to fall asleep on her own, otherwise she gets overtired very quickly and has a tough time getting to sleep.  Regardless, this nap is usually only 30-45 min at the most. 

Amanda

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 17:57:23 pm »
Elphyrafire:  Your LO is still good to go for 2 1.5 hour naos and a 45 min catnap. I am not so much shorter nap in the AM as I am shorter A time. at 5 months when my DD got up for the day she was back down within an hour. She still is sometimes. This mornign for example she was up at 7:30 back down by 8:3-0 and was out till 11. I'll probably not get much of a PM nap from her. Your naps do seem to be in order though, good times, and lengths. DO you wake him after 1.5 hours or does he wake up himself? If your waking him, try leaving him see how long he'll go. For your PM nap you can try doing a longer nap and no catnap, though he'll probably want to go down earlier or bed. However, I'd suggest you try to move that nap up 1/2 hour to 1 or your LO will be up to long. I'm not sure if he'd be ready to drop the catnap yet but you can try it.  Now your LO is only getting 4 feeds per day, how much does he take at each feed? an increase may be in order. What are the times he wakes? are they always the same? or close too? do you feed him at all at night? whats his mood when he wakes? do you leave him if he isn't crying?

UNCMomma  Your LO is still quiet young and shout proably be on a 3 hour EASY. I would worry about night waking just yet, they're normal for her age, most her age have 1-2 waking regularly. Short A time is better for her, at that age no more then 40 min A time (including diaper change) Aim to have her down within an hour of being up. Have you tried pat/shush for resettling? also put your LO down 10-15 minutes earlier then you currently do untill you find the time that suits her best.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 20:19:38 pm »
Thanks Karita for all your help. Ok, for the last 2 nights I am going back to W2S as that is teh only thing that has worked so far. I am trying to get up the nnerve to wean the paci but I crumble every time. So now I am unwrapping one arm out of the swaddle and letting him hold his lovey. We shall see.
Here's the answers to your qu:
DO you wake him after 1.5 hours or does he wake up himself?
He wakes himself.
I'm not sure if he'd be ready to drop the catnap yet but you can try it.
How will I know? Just generally cranky?
Now your LO is only getting 4 feeds per day, how much does he take at each feed? an increase may be in order.
I forgot the dreamfeed at 11:00 or midnight. I have no idea how much he takes as I am stil BF-ing. But when he wakes at night he is not hungry- either turns away from the breast or plays around on it even while sleeping. I have gone back to giving 2 tbsp of cereal to help with the calories.

What are the times he wakes? are they always the same? or close too?
With W2S it's only:
one hour after he goes to bed (this means something but I'm not sure what!)and then sleeps til 4:30am and then 5:30 am then 6:00 (I feed him here sometimes) and then back to sleep til 7:15
WITHOUT W2S it's all over the place but usually: 12:30, 1:30 (and stays awake 30 mins)
4:00- stays awake 30-50 mins
5:30
6:45

Whats his mood when he wakes?
In the early night he is screaming
In the middle of the night he is whiney

do you leave him if he isn't crying?
Yes but it always turns to crying eventually. Usually I go in and flip him to his other side and he goes back to sleep with the paci in his mouth

Any more insight?

Vancouver, Canada

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 02:06:16 am »
If he wakes by himself after 1.5 hours leave him be.
You'll know because he wont be ovewrtired by bedtime and he'll still be in a good mood.
How long does he feed? have you tried to increase the times? Cereal and foods may be the answer. Talk to your Doctor. Your LO may be ready to start and it might just help, however when he first starts don't be suprised if he wakes a little more untill a balence is found. Maybe try to tbsp in the am and in the pm.
How close to bedtime do you feed? maybe move the feed closer? even last in the routine. If he falls asleep once in a while thats ok, just as long as he doesn't depend on it.
Maybe try pat/shh or PU/PD? Or stick with w2s. Might it be a paci addiction?
Kimberly

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 04:51:23 am »
Thanks!
I will try more cereal I think. He is only 5 months but past his birthweight by a pound and he was big to begin with (9.7lb). His eating time has not increased however I think he is eating better within the time. before he would play around and unlatch and now at least he eats. It's about 4 mins a side but I know I have  a fast flow.
The bedtime routine has worked wonders with him initally falling asleep. He knows its bedtime I think it really helped with those bedtime fusses. It's just the wake-ups after that.
 I am scared he does have a paci addiction. I don;t really know how to tell. I guess i shlould post on the props board.
thanks again!

Vancouver, Canada