Author Topic: Please help - E.A.S.Y nap/awake time question  (Read 1180 times)

Offline aprilhoffmann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help - E.A.S.Y nap/awake time question
« on: May 01, 2006, 18:35:35 pm »
I have a 3 week old and am just starting EASY. I've read the book many times but haven't found an answer to this question.

In the book, Tracy says naps can range from 30 min to One Hour, progressively getting longer as they get older (pg 47, Secrets of BW).

But let's say I feed my girl, she wakes up in 45 min, but her feeding time isn't for another 1.5 hours. She's not acting hungry, but just awake. What do I do with her? Give her activity time and try and put her back down? Or just try and put her back to sleep right away? She can't go for the 45 min of activity time yet, so she naps much more than she's awake.

She's spirited and slightly touchy, so she gets overstim/tired easily.   We're not sure what to do if she doesn't sleep all the way through to her next feeding??

Can someone please shed some light on this?  ???
Thanks!!

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Please help - E.A.S.Y nap/awake time question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 18:40:26 pm »
Hi
When this happens to us (and it always does) we do EASA ... EA... 
Have you tried extending her naps? I don't think it is ever mentioned in the books because Tracey expects us to try and extend naps up until the next 'E'.

Is she overtired that she is only taking short naps?? You say she is spirited and slightly touchy in these temperaments you have to dictate nap times to your LO.

Do you want to post your routine and we can see where we can help you?
Lauren x

Offline aprilhoffmann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 18:54:04 pm »
Thanks for the quick response!

I don't really have a schedule to post yet cause we're just starting. She's been on a loose 2.5 hr feeding schedule, but for the first couple weeks was too tired to have much activity time at all. She always falls asleep at the breast, but now we're trying to wake her up.

We do try and extend her naps. She does well in the mornings and early afternoon (right now she's slept 2 hrs!) But evening, up until about midnight, she fights us tooth and nails and will not sleep very long at all (30 min tops). Then, probably because of sheer exhaustion, she sleeps 3 hr chunks at night.

But from about 5 or 6 pm until midnight, she just WON'T sleep for extended periods of time. We're just able to start bathing her (her cord fell off yesterday) so we're going to try adding a bath into her routine. (and we do swaddle)

Also, occasionally during the day, she will wake up at 45 min and cry, cry, cry if we try and put her back down. So, that's why we wanted to know if we should just get her up for a few minutes and then put her back down.  Sounds like that's what you do...EASA...

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 19:23:32 pm »
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 00:06:16 am »
If she is consistently waking at the same time each morning, try to start your work on EASY with that.  From about the time she wakes until about 30 mins (or however long she can stay awake) would be the E and the A, then you'd know she's probably ready for a nap.  You'll want to get her down soon enough so that she doesn't become overtired.  If you will then make sure she has her next feed at the scheduled time and don't allow her to oversleep, you will be setting her internal clock so that she will know the difference between waking for feeds during the day and staying asleep after bedtime (hopefully  ;)).  Keep a log for a few days to chart when she seems to get tired and you'll probably start to notice a pattern quickly.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007