Author Topic: 5 weeks old and need a routine - please help!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline weenie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 weeks old and need a routine - please help!
« on: May 01, 2006, 18:43:08 pm »
my LO is almost 5 weeks old and is setting the pace which is often erratic. Have done the quiz and he seems to be a touchy/grumpy baby.

I have lots of issues and would love some help!

Eating -
He feeds every 3 hours but falls asleep towards the end of the bottle and is difficult to wake how do i get him to stay awake?

When he feeds he will sometimes take his full feed but sometimes he falls asleep after only a few ounces, sometimes he'll take a little fall asleep eat bit more fall asleep etc.

Activity -
how do i do the A in EASY??? He hates any kind of activity - play gyms, bouncy chairs, baby swing, anything. if he's awake generally he's crying.

Sleep -
At 5 weeks should he have his day time naps in his bedroom (welll ours as he's still in our room) as i tend to put him down in his moses basket in the front room.

love the sound of the easy routine - especially the y bit as i have no time for me at the minute!

can anyone help please?

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 5 weeks old and need a routine - please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 18:50:29 pm »
Quickie reply before last feed....

Eating -
He feeds every 3 hours but falls asleep towards the end of the bottle and is difficult to wake how do i get him to stay awake?

You can change his nappy or try and rubs his hands to try and wake him up again.  Eventually to teach him independant sleeping you would need to be putting in his bed awake anyway.

When he feeds he will sometimes take his full feed but sometimes he falls asleep after only a few ounces, sometimes he'll take a little fall asleep eat bit more fall asleep etc.

Perserver with trying to keep him up, even strip him to his vest to try ans wake him up (I was advised that in hospital DS was very sleepy)

Activity -
how do i do the A in EASY??? He hates any kind of activity - play gyms, bouncy chairs, baby swing, anything. if he's awake generally he's crying.

At 5 weeks you really can't expect too much from your LO, a change of nappy, wash, etc. Everything else you mentionis probably too overstimulation for him see - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52863.0

Sleep -
At 5 weeks should he have his day time naps in his bedroom (welll ours as he's still in our room) as i tend to put him down in his moses basket in the front room.

This is entirey up to you, I always started as I meant to go on and put him in his basket in his nursery - it is your decsion..

...back soon
Lauren x

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 18:53:36 pm »
Its like Dejavu reading your post ::)
But, have faith it will pass...mine did!
I see Calum's Mom has given great advice to you...just keep persevering and you will begin to see changes.
I don't have much to add since it has been covered. Good luck, and keep us posted
Sarah
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline weenie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 19:15:01 pm »
Thanks. Have been changing his nappy before a feed to make him comfortable?!? but will do it afterward to see if that helps.

Think im wanting him to run before he can walk with the activities!!

Have just looked further on this site and think he might have reflux as he seems to tick most of the boxes described.

Thanks for the advice. x

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 19:22:09 pm »
weenie
Good luck
If you need any more help, just shout.
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline weenie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:38:13 am »
Thanks for the advice callums mum - Just thought Id give you a quick update.

Last night he had his bath and fed at 9 managed to keep him awake through it - easier said than done mind! then changed his nappy - this was quite difficult as i tried to keep him upright after his feed to ease the reflux but i managed. Then put him down when he was still awake did the sh pat thing and it worked! he slept through til half 2!

fed again and kept him awake through it, then changed him, he went down took longer to settle him this time but we did it.  he slept til nearly 7 oclock - never been known always goes about 3 hours and has a little half hearted feed but not last night.

continuing this morning his just having his nap now. Know its early days but im keeping fingers crossed!

cheers x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 16:51:27 pm »
To wake him with a diaper change, even if he doesn't need a real change, you can just go through the motions enough to wake him a bit.  You're doing great, though, so keep it up!  My dd was a touchy baby, too.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007