Author Topic: Night waking again... and she's one in a couple of weeks  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Minxsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Night waking again... and she's one in a couple of weeks
« on: May 02, 2006, 14:36:17 pm »
Hi

I'm not sure if I should be posting here or on the naps page - if i've learnt one thing it's that the two are linked!

My lovely girl is one on 18th May, and after a couple of good weeks when we started to get some sleep she's started waking again.  She's started with a new child-minder and her day time sleeps have gone a bit crazy so think that is likely to be a cause but here are the answers to your questions...

How old is your child? One in two weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? Awake 6.45ish, BF 7am, Breakfast 8am.  Nap 9.30/10 for around 45 minutes (but often later at child-minder).  Lunch at 12.15, Nap 1.30 (but both child-minder and I struggling to get her to sleep at this time for past 10 days.  She actually doesn't seem tired, but I make sure she gets a nap at some point in the afternoon by walking in buggy if she refuses nap in cot).  Milk 2.30/3pm.  Supper 6pm, bath 6.30, BF, sleep 7/7.30
What’s nap routine? Just done that!
How long are naps? First nap 45 minutes, lunchtime nap 1 hour to 1.5 hours. 
What's bedtime routine? Time? See above
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Both.
How much? or how long? BF until she doesn't want any more - max 10 minutes.  Bottle 7oz
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) One side
How many wakes per night? Varies.  At least one after we have gone to sleep, sometimes two.  Usually at least one in early evening as well.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Early evening, often stirs and resettles self, sometimes comes right to but usually settles very fast with a stroke on her back.  Night-time, usually shouting by time we get to her!  Sitting up.  Not happy.  Usually settles within half an hour but has been known to take 3 hours to settle.  If she's v. unsettled we tend to assume teething these days and give powder and calpol.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Crying
What have you tried to settle??  We're pretty consistent now and keep her in cot, stroke back and Shh.  Then stand by cot, then gradually leave room as she drifts off.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Varies.  I'm working part-time 2.5 days per week.  Her child-minder has two small children of her own and they play at home, go to groups.  When she is with me, we swim once a week and go to group once a week.  SPend time with friends with babies.  Play in house or garden.  Chill time looking at books.  She's very mobile now and into crawling and walking with help.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  Becoming more active by the day.  Still only one tooth
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Has vest of mine and bunny in cot.  Snuffles into vest.
Do they have a lovie?  Oh, hang-on - what's the difference between a prop and a lovie?!

So I think her night waking is probably linked to day-time sleeps going a bit pear-shaped but not sure, and wondering how to get back on track again.  ALso, maybe it's not that at all - what do you think? ???

All ideas welcomed!

Tanya

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Night waking again... and she's one in a couple of weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 17:02:49 pm »
imo i think you could stretch out the A time somewhat. maybe put lo down for the first nap 15min to a half hr later. my dd is already having longer A times than that (although all lo's are different)..your lo's needs have probably changed and routine just needs a bit of tweaking at this point in time. i can't speak from experience as my lo is younger but that's what it seems like to me. lo probably is having a struggle staying asleep b/c she isn't tired enough for the nap.

i think the amount of total naps is pretty good - just lo probably isn't tired enough to sleep at the times you have been putting lo down at.

btw a prop is something that your lo depends on you for...ie putting the paci back in, in the middle of the night - if the child can replace paci on her own then it is not a prop. from what it sounds like your dd has two loveys!! ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Minxsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:24:18 am »
Thank you, that's really helpful.  She's actually slept through the last few nights (well, woken but self-settled), but I think you're completely right about the A time.  I'm having tricky time getting her down for her lunchtime nap and just finding it difficult to read the signals of tiredness - think I'll post on the nap board and see what gems people have to offer!

T

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 14:02:21 pm »
just another thought - if she isn't going down well for her nap a longer A time could help as lo may not be tired enough to go to sleep without a fight kwim? i am sure they will be able to help you more on the naps board though - good luck hun!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Minxsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 19:35:57 pm »
Thank you!  There's a great thread about 2-1 switch which I think may be part of it but who knows.  She's really settled the last couple of days... (famous last words).

Btw I get really freaked by the photo of your little beauty because she looks really similar to my gorgeous bubba (can't work out how to do that photo upload thing or I'd show you).

T

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 18:29:51 pm »
cue the eerie music as our names are the same i believe - or close anyway....

i believe if you go to the photo board that they have instructions on how to do it depending on what you are using...

glad to hear things are better - will keep my fingers crossed it continues...:) will see you around that thread as i am too dealing with the switch - i do find every few days i offer two naps and it works very well that way.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005