Author Topic: awake at night alot but not always crying?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
awake at night alot but not always crying?
« on: June 08, 2006, 16:36:04 pm »
The last 4 nights, my ds's sleep has gone totally haywire---I am at a loss as to why. Apart from a 5:30am wake-up we have never had any problems with night sleep. Over the last 4 nights, it seems he is waking very frequently and always at different times. He is not always crying at these times but rather just awake for 1hour or more and then falls back to sleep---I think! I am not sure how to respond to these wake-ups as he doesn't really seem like he needs me but I know that he is losing a lot of sleep---and so are we!

Here is how last night went:
in bed by 6:45pm, not alseep until 7:30pm
awoke at 9:30pm, which escalted to a cry by 10pm, I did not bother trying to resettle as it was close to df time, I fed him at 10pm and he did not fall back asleep until 11pm
I then heard him awake at 12:30am-until 2am
then awake again at 3am and this time crying---seemed hungry and I fed him but he did not eat for long, did not fall back asleep until 4am
awoke for day at 5:30am

the previous nights have been similar although at different times , and I fear that he is getting as little as 5hours of sleep when I subtract all of the wake-ups.

he does not seem to making up this sleep during the day, is averaging about 4hours of day sleep.

here are the answers to the questions:
How old is your child? 17weeks
What’s his/her daily routine?
4hour easy:
   awake 5:30am
   e6am
   a until 7:15 or 7:30am
   s---7:30am--9:30 or 10:00 but always broken---may get 1.5hrs total
   e 10am
   a--until 11:30 or 12 depending on ending of first nap
   s--until 1:30 or 2---broken usually 1.5hrs total
   e 2pm
   a
   s--catnap 3:30 or 4pm---for 45min
   bath, bf at 6pm, bed usually by 6:30pm but takes 20-30min to fall asleep.
   df at 10:30 pm or so except last night when was awake.

What’s nap routine? 5min windown, 3naps ---first nap starts at 7:15  or 7:30am--until 10am but is broken, second nap starts at 12pm or so until 2pm but is usually broken, cat nap at 4pm
How long are naps?vary--depending on 45min wake-up, usually at least total 1.5hrs
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, bf, bed--starts btwn 6 and 6:30pm, bed usually at 6:45 at latest
Do you bottle or breastfed?? bf
How much? or how long? varies day to day , have never really timed it
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) usually 1 side, offer 2nd if still seems hungry
How many wakes per night? mutiple last few nights
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? usually awake at least 1hour moaning and making lots of noise.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? ocassionaaly escalates to cry but not always
What have you tried to settle?? pu/pd if crying for another reason
What do you do for A time and how long is it?1.75hrs including bf, change diaper, random activities--playing on our bed with rattle, exersaucer, walks outside, rarely have major outings to stores etc---maybe 1/week.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? lots of saliva but not sure that he is teething, nothing else
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?no
Do they have a lovie?no

with 5:30am wake-up---usually leave him in his room until 6am, and then start routine from 6am bf, but b/c awake so early---I do count this as part of his first A time and thus first nap starts at 7:15 or 7:30am.

As a side note, I have been out on celexa for ppd----have been taking a full dose for about 1 week, I have been taking it the evening since less bf during night---and less gets to son----I am wondering if the celexa is causing some rebound wakefullness.

Deborah
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: awake at night alot but not always crying?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:03:44 am »
bump!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005