Author Topic: 1 year old , any activity ideas? Feel guilty that I'm not doing enough!  (Read 3532 times)

Offline FlossieŠ

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • mummy's little cherubs
Just wondering what kinds of 'activity' things my DD could be doing during the day, she's 12 months in 2 days time!   

She seems to get quite bored easily loves crawling around exploring, emptying out her toy cupboard, emptying the vegetable rack and throwing potatoes on the floor :-\. She doesn't generally play with toys for very long as she gets bored with them.  I'm generally just letting get on with things on her own for 10 mins or so at a time and then pick her up and we'll read a book together or I'll draw pictures with her on my knee watching, which she seems to love, or we'll search the internet for baby websites (cbeebies is great fun!).  I do feel incredibly guilty for the times that I leave her to her own devices (allbeit 10 minutes or so) and constantly feel that I should be interacting with her all the time.  Is it wrong to let them watch the telly programmes that they so visibly enjoy - (the squeals of joy when the Fimbles come on the telly is just a pleasure to hear....but I still feel guilty for letting her watch programmes).  We go out for walks in the buggy everyday(its a must as we have a little doggie!), and attend a music class once a week and meet up with a group of friends with 1 year old babies once a week too.  Does anyone have any ideas they could share please?

What is it with Maternal Guilt...someone ease my conscience please!

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
I face the same challanges as a SAHM of a 13 month old who needs constant attention. I always feel like we're doing the same old things, which is not a whole lot in variety. Like you, we try to take a daily walk outdoors, weather permitting. We've had some record rainy days this season so have been indoors more or we go to the mall where we can walk & still stay dry/warm. It sounds like you are already doing quite a bit with the music class and play groups. I've been meaning to find a play group in my area but have no idea where to start.  :-\

Do you feel like you always have to engage her? I have to learn when to engage DD, and when to leave her alone to play on her own (while I stay nearby). She seems to like playing with me a bit, then on her own, then back to me again. 

I feel like we don't have enough toys, she gets bored with all the toys of *my* choosing, and generally shows more interest in toys of *her* choosing. Sigh... we do a lot of "reading" though. More like she flips pages. I used to read to her before she learned how to flip pages.

We play name-the-objects game. She points at stuff, I tell her what it is called.

Looking forward to hearing what activities other moms do with their LOs...

Marie

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
First of all don't feel like you have to interact with her all day. gosh my 2 run all over the house together and separately (i can have the 3 of us doing our own things sometimes in 3 different rooms) for ages - i just let them get on with it a large part of the day. some things we do together though are:

playing with blocks - liv is 14 mo old and can build a tower of 4-6 blocks and enjoys that and knocking down bigger towers built by me or her big sis
tea parties and pretend cooking - we have plastic cups, teapot, plates, spoons etc and play food and liv likes to stir things and "feed" me with a spoon. these things get played with every day and can be bought cheaply (don't need fancy sets)
plastic animals - we make animal sounds and make them "walk" or "gallop" etc
outside play - ride on toys / pushing her around; swing and slide, just rolling around on the grass, playing with leaves and flowers etc
just being there for her to show things to me - she is doing the playing but i react and give verbal narration to the events (like the pp said about pointing and naming for them)
balls - she loves all balls and we have about 6 or so balls of different sizes and textures and she is really loving practicing throwing - not able to catch yet but throws balls (and other toys  ::)) all over the house.
musical instruments - we have a basket full and i get them out and we all play different ones and just go nuts
we do watch DVDs together every day - i gave up on that a long time ago - my girls both really like them and i find that alex learns a lot from them and Liv is exposed to them because of an older sibling. she will come and go though so i don't worry (too much  ;)). i do think it is something you relax about with 2nd children as it is a part of life usually.

i guess part of why she plays on her own a lot is because i am not precious about the house. we have MANY toys and stuffed animals etc out at one time (yes my house looks like a mess for much of the day  :)) and my girls tend to flit about according to their moods and if i notice a bit of boredom hapening i will direct them to something like the music or put on a CD for us to dance to. i let her climb on the furniture/sofas too and have a small kids sofa she will retreat to to chill out and play quietly. Just last night my Dh was saying that if i want to be more productive for the house or myself i really don't need to be interacting with them all day  ;D I said to him what i said above - a lot of the day i am just "around" or doign the busy stuff to organize them (their food, laundry etc) and playin with them in short bursts. kids learn a lot on their own and it is actually best to introduce a toy and let them just explore it on their own and try to figure out all the bits - intervention is only "necessary" when they are asking/indicating for help or if it is something you enjoy doing with them and want to participate on their level.  HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Oh my goodness!  I have been wanting to post about this same thing for ages!!  I am a SAHM and am constantly worried that I'm not doing enough to help my DS "develop".  We do so many of the same things day in and day out and I feel as if I am never doing enough!  ::)

We go on walks, look at cars pass by (he loves cars and dogs!), we try to get together with friends with kids even if the children are older than him it's good for him, I think.  We read, he plays with pots and pans, he takes all the silverware out of the dishwasher, we feed the kitties, we go to parks.  It's pretty basic around here!  I would really like some ideas to do with my DS around the house as well.  He plays with his toys some but quickly gets bored of them.  Just today I put some of them away and am planning on bringing them out in about a month and hopefully he'll look at them as "new" toys.

One idea I just thought of is to get one of those kiddie pools (I just got one today!) and let them play in that for a while.  It's getting warm here (Eastern USA) so I figure that would be something he'll love. 

Very much looking forward to hearing what others suggest!

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

I ditto Deb's response. I don't really actively play with my two unless they look like they need it or want it. Their toys are all out and they can get into what they want. My dd likes playing down in her room by herself, when she wants company she comes back in her own time. I take them outside and play on the grass, roll and throw the ball, she'll do water play for ages (not usually initiated by me, but if she finds a some she'll splash in it for quite a while and put all sorts of things in it), she'll happily flick through her books for 10mins by herself. She self taught herself to stack her blocks. She loves playing with the onions in the pantry and will peel them etc. All of these things are great learnign for them, and if they're happy to be independently playing then that's great and then respond to them when they want the closeness. I chat to her and name things if she holds up something to me to name. We've only got a small house, so unless she's down in her room, I'm visible to her and I think a lot of the time, that's all they want. My 3yr old still likes to be near even if playing by himself. Of course that's all balanced by plenty of cuddles, reading books and meal times together.

Sorry that's all randomly written, I was just writing as I was thinking... :)