Author Topic: help! 3 hour or 4 hour? all over the place  (Read 961 times)

Offline alimommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help! 3 hour or 4 hour? all over the place
« on: May 03, 2006, 16:26:23 pm »
 ???

this is my 3rd day of starting E.A.S.Y - previously I had no routine at all.  Whilst there is vast improvement in a lot of things, such as I no longer need the "prop" of the pram and my little boy is sleeping in his cot AND amazingly since introducing the dream feed he is not waking in the night and if he does he sends himself back to sleep - my problem is that my day is all over the place. Today I feel like the poor thing has spent his whole day in the cot either being shussed/patted to sleep or actually asleep. 

My first problem is should he be on a 3 hour or 4 hour plan? Whilst he was only 3 months on the 21st April - he is a very big boy weighing over 17 1bs as he was over 10 lbs born and born at 42 weeks.  In light of these factors should he be on the 4 hour plan or the 3 hour plan?  I thought I would try and let him guide me but clearly that flies in the face of me setting a routine and consequently he has eaten at all sorts of times over the last 3 days. I am worried that he is too young for a 4 hour plan but equally I dont want to put him on a 3 hour plan if the effort should be addressed to the 4 hour plan.

My second problem is that he currently wont nap more than approx. 40 mins.  I know Tracy's advice to extend the nap times but this could also be an indication that he needs to be on a 4 hour plan? and so I am confused............ 

Please help as I really want to stick at this but need to get it right!

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: help! 3 hour or 4 hour? all over the place
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 20:47:17 pm »
hi alimommy

Sound like you are doing really well already, in answer to your questions;
DS put himself on 4hr easy at little over 3months, here are some signs of needing to transition:   https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=41061.15
1. Not taking as much at a feed (baby not as hungry at 3 hours)
2. Erratic Night Wakings
3. They are extending their awake times
4. Starts taking 45 minute naps
I know it goes 'against' EASY, however if you feel you are in a transition stage, you really have to watch his cues and let that be your guide - it may be usefull to keep a log https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=6208.0 so you can track when your LO eats, etc.

Do you  think your LO may be going through a growth spurt?

Was your LO napping longer before EASY?

Do you want to post us your routine?

The 3 - 4hr transition can be tricky for any mum to get through, even if they have been on EASY for ages, so try and keep at it - I know its a difficult stage.
Lauren x

Offline alimommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 21:42:22 pm »
thank you very much for the advice - a lot of the cues you mentioned definitely fit so I think I will try the 4 hour plan tomorrow.  I dont think he is going through a growth spurt - but before I started EASY I could get him to sleep for well over an hour sometimes 2 hours (albeit in the pram) but he was also awake for longer periods.  I will try to do the 4 hour plan and come back for more help if needed.

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 20:05:43 pm »
Hi Alison
Just noticied your email in my inbox, yes I have it set up to automatic notification.
thanks for taking the time  ;)  :D
Lauren x