Author Topic: Expressing for easier dream feed?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline maxmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 03, 2006, 21:40:45 pm »
Hi, we're new to EASY, my lo is 10 weeks and i've been trying to introduce the dream feed.  My lo wakes very easily-any noise or if you knock his cot etc. so i thought it might be easier to give him a dream feed whilst he's still in his cot.  I BF so i'm expressing now in order to DF at 11pm (it's 10:30pm and he's been asleep since 8:15).  Is it okay to just stick the bottle in his mouth while he's in his cot?  He just wakes up if i try to gently lift him out and that seems to defeat the object of the DF.  We don't do very well at night and are currently having lots of wakings.  Without a DF he wakes around 1am for a feed and then again at 4am (ish). 

Anyway, i don't suppose anyone will manage to reply in the next 30 mins so i'll go ahead with the bottle in the cot feed tonight and see how we go.

Thanks for any advice.
xx

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Expressing for easier dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 00:13:27 am »
I wouldn't recommend feeding your LO while he's laying down.
2 reasons.
1 its a chocking hazard for your LO
2 it can cause ear infections

If when you do a dreamfeed he wakes up thats OK, as long as he goes right back to sleep. DD used to wake up when I picked her up, but went back to sleep rather quickly.
Although expressing for a DF is a good way to get dad involved and give him bonding time :)
Kimberly

Offline maxmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:49:14 am »
Oh dear, i didn't realise i would be causing a choking hazard  :( As it is though he wouldn't take any of the feed even after i picked him up so i just left him to sleep.  He woke two hours later and dad gave him the bottle then.  Thanks for the tips though, i won't try it lying down again. I do sometimes BF him on his side in bed next to me-is that okay?

Best Wishes
xx

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Expressing for easier dream feed?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 16:20:37 pm »
Yes I believe that is safe. A lot of bfing moms do that :)
Kimberly