Author Topic: Fun thing to do with kids RE: gardening  (Read 1495 times)

Heather

Fun thing to do with kids RE: gardening
« on: May 04, 2006, 00:04:59 am »
I was a total skeptic, did not think it would happen but we are growing corn from popcorn kernels!!

I saw it on a craft website for kids.  It said to put some dirt into a zip lock bag, press a few popcorn kernels into the dirt so they are just covered, and sprinkle in a bit of water, then seal the bag and put in a warm window.  In a week, it said, you should see some sprouts.

Well I just checked Levis bag and they are sprouting!!!  :o  It has only been 4 days since we did this!

You should try it! ;D

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Fun thing to do with kids RE: gardening
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 00:38:51 am »
Oooh, very cool! Maybe we'll have to try that!!! I have actual corn seeds hanging around that I probably won't put into the ground as the local beasties always end up with more corn than I do (I got ONE ear last year - ONE! :(), but it'd still be a fun project for Josie and even Nat to watch.

We already grew some radishes in a window box. We've eaten the first batch already and the second will be ready in a couple days, and lettuce is fun to do that way too. It's the strangest thing, but Josie will eat raw right off the plant stuff she won't take at the table.  ::)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:07:24 am »
VERY cute idea! I'm looking forward to doing some gardening with the kids when they're old enough. I'm actually saving some mini projects around our property for the next couple of years so that we could do them together.  :)

We also have critters (specifically rabbits - I used to love them until I moved out here!) and it's very frustrating that they get to the tulips and a couple of other plants before I've even had a chance to realize they're sprouting.

Heather, I'm assuming they popcorn kernels are not buttered?  ;)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:14:05 am »
Oh cool, might give it a try. So you seal the bag fully so no air gets in?

Heather

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:43:24 am »
Yep, the bag is fully sealed.  It becomes a little greenhouse. :)

And yes, the popcorn kernels are not buttered!  ;)