Author Topic: Waking after 7-8 hours  (Read 1494 times)

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 04, 2006, 00:35:26 am »
Hello!
My 5 month old son is on 4 hour EASY but has been waking between 2-3am each night (not hungry). I give him the paci and dont touch him and he goes right back to sleep........but then he will wake around 4:30 and 5:30 also wanting the paci. Even though he goes right back to sleep, I feel I shouldnt have to come in and do this..........advice?
Here is his schedule - its really quite great..........Not sure what to do.

E 7am 7oz
A
S 8:30 - 10:30

E 11 7oz
A
S 12:30 - 3:00

E 7oz
A
S 5:00 - 5:40

E 3oz and some solids
A
E 5oz
S 7:00 - 7:15ish

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Jack aged 2 years/ Rya aged 1 month
Re: Waking after 7-8 hours
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:27:33 am »
Not much advice from me except have you tried "Wake to Sleep" ? Has worked for us with some of the habitual nightwakes. I also have a 5 month old DS and he used to  wake at 9:30  12:20 and then later at 2:00 and then 4:00. Wake 2 sleep worked on the 12:20 and 2:30 but still up at 4:00 *sigh*. SOmetimes for the paci and sometimes just to play around.
Have you considered weaning the paci? I am considering it and it's tough! It's just so easy to plug in.
Good luck! You're not alone!
Mom to "Textbook" Jack born Dec 3, 2005
and (?) Rya- Feb 13, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 16:48:42 pm »
if lo has an intolerance at this point to the solids (alot of times lo's digestive systems aren't fully developed at this point..) this could be a reason for the wakings. imo i would recommend cutting it out for a few weeks and seeing if that helps, it wouldhn't hurt any as lo's don't NEED solids until much later anyways as bm/formula is the main source of nutrition. if you really are stuck on feeding the solids, maybe try moving the feeding to the am as it would hopefully pass through lo's system by night if that is the trouble.

it does seem that your lo is napping an awful lot. i would limit that catnap and that would ensure he isn't napping so late and make sure that isn't affecting the sleep at all also. maybe limit the other naps a bit - maybe 1.75hrs in the am and 2hrs in the pm just to be sure he isn't waking b/c he isn't tired enough. in order to get the day to flow smoothly you may want to extend A times by 15 min here and there where possible as well.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline elliotlove

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 18:14:11 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions....but I just started solids 2 days ago and he's been waking like this for about 2 weeks......
Normally Id think maybe he was napping too much, but on days when he doesnt nap this much he still wakes.....and the fact that he goes right back to sleep when I give him the binkie shows me that he's tired. If he wasnt, I think he'd wake and stay awake?
I do want to extend his A time however........

I may try w2S as this seems to be a habit

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 20:40:04 pm »
if wts doesn't work then i would check out the props board as the paci might be the cause... like you said i would still extend A time b/c it may not be causing prbs as of yet, but will eventually if you don't keep on top of tweaking the routine - good luck!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline elliotlove

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 20:50:47 pm »
so gradually I want all his A times to be about 2hr 15 minutes?

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 20:55:42 pm »
yes i would say approx to that...you may also want to check out the easy board for some routines to see where other lo's that age are at for A times to get a better idea. you should find it at the top of the board..
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline elliotlove

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 21:43:59 pm »
thanks so much! :)