Author Topic: My 10 month old son has gone mad!!  (Read 1388 times)

Offline hendysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:01:00 am »
If anyone could help with my son's routine i would be so pleased.

Hendrix WAS a great sleeper but since all the major milestones, teething etc things have gone way way off course. We have also been staying at my parents house as we sold ours and have only just bought a new one. We move in tomorrow which will be fabulous. Hendrix's routine is usually as follows:

7:00am - awake bottle
7:30 bottle
9:00 sleep for 1.5-2 hours
11:00 snack and bottle
12:30 luch
2:00 sleep usually for 1.5 at the most
4:00 bottle
6:00 dinner, bottle
7:00 bed

He has been waking anywhere from 1 to 5 times a night. He just starts screaming blue murder. Some of these times we can just re-dummy him but at least once he will need to be picked up to calm him down. He has gotten 4 teeth over the past month and of course is becoming so much more mobile. I have been following his tired signs so sometimes his first A time will only be a little over an hour. This morning he woke at 4:30 as he had done a poo. I changed him and had to put him back with a small amount of bottle. He slep till 6:30 and was up till 9am. His first sleep this morning was 2.5 hours (i know this is far too much but do i wake him???)

Id love to hear from you.
Kind regards
Heather

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: My 10 month old son has gone mad!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 15:27:02 pm »
if lo sleeps as long as 2.5 hrs i would def wake lo way before that as that is basically the absolute max a lo at that age shoudl be getting for a total days naps..maybe even a little less. the fact that lo is slepeing this long in the am is probably to catch up on lost sleep throughout the night - which will only create a vicious cycle if it continues...lo sleeping less and less at night and more during the day. the shortest nap of the day 'should' be the am nap b/c of this.

it does seem that you could def extend the A times of the routine. the morning A time could be bumped up to at least 2.5-2.75. the pm A time (before pm nap) could probably be anywhere from 2.75-3.5hrs. it all depends on your lo and when altering routines do it slowly so lo doesn't get overtired in the process.

hth.

btw when i wake my lo, i always open her bedroom door and make some extra noise so she kind of will wake on her own naturally kwim?! good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:18:07 am »
Hi Heather,

Just wondered how things were going with your lo, my lo has never slept throught the night but after cutting out a nap time at around 3.30/4 he slept through from 7 - 6 3 nights in a row! Since then we have stuck to the routine but he is waking up constantly in the night screaming! Last night he was up for 2 hours, he cried the whole time and I dont know why! He to has been going through mile stones, hes learnt to stand on his own recently and climb on to things! Also he is possibly teething but have nothing to prove that, no sign of teeth but he has only the front 2 so im guessing he must be due some more! Just very strange that hes waking up sooo upset, he always used to night wake but never used to be like this... i am really desperate for some help or support so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

xxxxxx

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 16:48:00 pm »
could you also post your routine and maybe i can take a look for you?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 17:07:27 pm »
Hi teezee! Just noticed our babies were born on the same day!

Heres the routine!

6.30 wake and bottle feed (if hasn't had one in the early hours of the morning! 4ish onwards)

7.15 breakfast

7.45 ready for the day and play or if a working day off to nursery!

9.30 sleep (approx 1 - 1.5 hrs usually 1 hour)

11.00 play

11.30 lunch

12 outing or play again!

1.15 sleep (approx 1 - 1.5 hours usually 1 .5 hrs)

2.45 nappy change and out to collect big bro from school

3.30 snack to keep me going for tea!

3.45 play

5.30 tea

6.30 bathtime

7pm  bottle and bed! (Hooray!!)

Wakes various times in the night! Usually once not long after being put down but is very easily settled then usually once more anytime between 2 and 4.  But occasionally can be more than twice!

Thanks for taking the time out to read this! Clare xx

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:26:33 am »
now did your lo cry even when you went into the room? what did you do to respond to his cries? are you positive lo wasn't in pain, etc...?

you may want to try cutting back on naps a bit even if it's 15 minutes at each nap - my dd sleep about 2hrs/ day naps total or else it screws up her nights/early morning...

you could also extend A time imo - as your lo is getting the first two A times no more than 3 hrs up at any given time and then has to go much longer to get to bedtime which could be causing your lo to get overtired at that point as he isn't used to staying up for that extended period of time kwim? slowly extend the A times and the pm nap might be better to try and give when you get home from picking your other lo up from school rather than before. as i said make it a slow transition but i think that will def help you and your lo. it does sound that lo is overtired by the way you describe the wakings. and pushing the A time up, will help extend the day and keep lo from the overtiredness.

hth! let me know if you need anything else!
i have to ask - what time of the day was your lo born???!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 12:45:02 pm »
I only go in when hes really crying as sometimes he puts himself back to sleep...

I will try what you suggested, its all abit much to get my head round at the mo, had another really bad night last night, H CMOS to have developed a night time cough and is constantly waking himself up by coughing then struggles to get back to sleep as hes constantly coughing! Although last night was stressful I felt quite sorry for him... have got some tixylix so will try that to soothe it tonight, thanks for your advice xxx

H was born at 9.55 pm, how about your lo?

Offline teezee

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 13:53:50 pm »
she was born at 3:09am...:)

if lo isn't feeling well then i wouldn't start changing things on him just yet. make sure he is feeling better and then slowly extend A times every few days until you find the right balance for your lo...just need a little routine revamping - you will do fine - and if you need anything at all just let me know!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 17:07:13 pm »
Thanks teezee, he is rough at the moment, I am recieving Tracy's book tomorow in the post so will be having a day of reading the sleep and routine section! Then, when, hes well again! If that ever happens! I will try and crack it!!

Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

Clare xxx