Author Topic: 6 1/2 mo. old crying if not held at babysitters  (Read 1278 times)

Offline BlakesMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 1/2 mo. old crying if not held at babysitters
« on: May 04, 2006, 20:08:54 pm »
 I hope someone can give me some insight. My 6 1/2 month old goes to a sitters once a week, and has been going there since he was 2 months old.  About 2-3 weeks ago my sitter said that everytime she puts him down in his highchair, exersaucer or bouncy chair he screams and cries. This cry is not a whine it is a full blown cry. His face turns red, tears flowing, and screams. She had me peek around a corner because I did not believe it. He is totally content at home in his jumper, swing and exersaucer. He plays independently with no crying. This is so puzzling to me because there isn't a solution that I can think of. I have taken his own toys to put in her exersaucer, still cries. I have taken Baby Einstein movies that he loves to watch at home  but cries at her house when she puts him in his chair to watch.She has to hold him in her lap.  If anyone can give any advice I would appreciate it greatly. I feel horrible taking him over there because she watches 3 others and they are angels. She has to literally carry him the whole day if he is not sleeping!!!!!

Offline luckyb52

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Think Babies
Re: 6 1/2 mo. old crying if not held at babysitters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:57:43 am »
He might have had a bad experience over there which spooks him. Maybe you should change your sitter.

Cheers

LuckyB52

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 04:41:53 am »
It may be an early case of separation anxiety, but I too have to wonder if something has happend with the other children that makes him feel unsafe when he is not being held.

does he get upset like that if she puts him down and sits right next to him talking to him and playing with him, or is it when she moves away?

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 16:25:37 pm »
You mentioned he was only there once a week - I'm not sure what you do the other days, but would it be possible for you to spend a good amount of the day there with him on a day when he's not usually there?  I think the other ladies are onto something with thinking he perhaps had a bad experience there (quite possibly through no fault of your sitter's) and if you hung out with him for a bit it might help to reassure him. 

Offline BlakesMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:26:54 am »
Thanks so much for all of the advice!! I called my pediatrician and his response was, since I did only take him once a week it was new to him every week to a certain degree. He also said he spends most of his time in our house which is nice and quiet and since she takes care of other children the noise might have been scaring him.  He told me to take a bag full of his own toys from home and he suggested I stay there a little while longer than usual. I stayed 45 minutes. Started to feed him his breakfast and let the babysitter finish. That seemed to  have worked  he is doing much better! He no longer screams when she puts him down in the exersaucer or at any other time.  I told her to hand him some toys from home first then put him down and it seems  to be working for her. I think he just needed to be assured that it was safe there. Thanks again!!!!!!