Author Topic: Stalling at bedtime  (Read 680 times)

Offline rach

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 322
Stalling at bedtime
« on: May 04, 2006, 20:40:12 pm »
This is getting sooooo old now!

I make sure that Charlotte goes to the potty before her bath, she has her milk earlier so that she has time to go potty before bed - and needing to go to the loo in the night has never been a problem, sometimes she goes to the potty just before bed.  But, about 10 mins or so after putting her down (she sleeps in a normal single bed), she shouts up - mummy I need wee wee, I need poo poo, the first time, I think maybe she does and go up (just in case), sometimes she'll go, sometimes she won't, but she see's it as a great time to chat  ::).

Back to bed, she wants a story, or then she wants a drink, or she wants mummy.  She never cries - she shouts or whinges.  Grrrrrr getting so tired of this, its a regular thing - what should I do, how should I handle it.  I go up to her if she sounds upset, normally she just talks/babbles about what she wants.

Help!

TIA

Rach xx
Rach xx

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Stalling at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 20:56:59 pm »
This is very common. The most important thing is to stick with your routine and meet every need possible before you put her to bed. As you said, bath, potty, drink of water, etc. all before she goes to bed. Make sure you don't start talking or reading more books, etc. if she does get up. Make it very clear that it is not ok to get up after you leave her room.

Each child is different, so what may work for me may be extreme or unnecessary for you. My now 4.5 year old started the same around 2.5 years, and we finally started a system of a treat if he stayed in bed all night - both at bedtime and in the middle of the night. Believe it or not, we continue to have this system and although he is usually pretty good, there are still an amazing number of days that he doesn't get a treat! I've heard others use stickers or other types of reward systems.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Lan

Re: Stalling at bedtime
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 00:45:16 am »
I get this too - so we started getting ready for bed 15 minutes earlier so we can factor in the stalling. I allow one more trip to the potty, water in a valve sippy cup to take to bed and that's it - no more stories or conversation. And I give him lots of warning on the number of books before bed too.

It's amazing how quickly they realize that a potty request is the one thing you can't ignore!