Author Topic: Trying new fruit, and worried about allergies  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Firsttimemommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Trying new fruit, and worried about allergies
« on: May 04, 2006, 21:28:41 pm »
My son is 8 months old and he has had many many fruits, but now we want to start him on new fruits.  We have picked up a mixture of apple and Strawberries, and a jar of blueberries.  I gave him some of the strawberries today at lunch and he seems fine, but I was told today that it is a high allergent.  My son loved it and I really don't want to stop giving it to him.  What should I do?  Is is safe to give him   these fruits at his age????

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Trying new fruit, and worried about allergies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 22:15:25 pm »
It is probably fine, it's the raw/fresh ones that are more worrysome.  Just make sure with these berries you wait the 3 (or even 4) day rule and watch really closely for any type of reaction.

HTH

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't give strawberries or raspberries until one year since they are highly allergenic - but I'm the cautious type. Blueberries and cranberries are fine - different type of berry and actually very low allergenic food.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline RachelC

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:42 pm »
According to Super Baby Food, blueberries are a high allergen as well.

What is really hard is that the baby food makers (the jars) have stage 1 and 2 foods with the berries in it, obviously gearing them to babies less than one year old.

Just watch carefully for any reaction  :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 13:21:38 pm »
I know she says that - but it's a myth. Recently saw an allergist myself and discussed this - see also this:

**Many believe that blueberries fall under the "no berries until after age 12 months old" rule. Blueberries are not really a common allergen - they are not in the "berry" family. Blueberries are related to cranberries - cranberries appear on many lists of "least allergenic foods" Blueberries are not related to strawberries, raspberries and the like. Those "true" berries may be mild to highly allergenic. In the book, Managing Allergy and Intolerance in the Allergic Infant (published for Health Care Professionals and The General Public), blueberries are recommended between 6-9 months old. There are also several other pediatric allergy books that say that blueberries are ok from 6-9 months old as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the info in Super Baby Food is off on allergy side.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline RachelC

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 13:24:21 pm »
humph, thanks for the info!
I do believe that Super Baby Food is on the extreme end of things and overly cautious.  With dd1 I followed it, but now with dd2 I tend to be a bit more adventurous!
~Rachel

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:37:50 am »
When trying any new food, introduce only one at a time over period 3/4days, this allows you to see if there is any reaction.
Phoebe has been eating strawberries since she was 6mths and is her favorite fruit. I gave egg at 7mth (per HV advise) and within 30mins she had a reaction. Will try in month as she will be a year by then. Eggs is the only thing she has shown any allergy too.

Don't worry , easier said than done I know.

Good luck

Debbie