Author Topic: formerly good sleeper 19mo wakes up at night!  (Read 5057 times)

Offline sunsmile

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
formerly good sleeper 19mo wakes up at night!
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:32:07 pm »
My daughter has been sleep-trained using the Ferber method when she was 6 months old, and slept through the night (8pm - 6am) ever since.  But a month ago (at 18 months) she started waking up at night, standing in her crib and screeming until someone comes to her room!

Before (from 6 to 18 months) she'd wake up at night very occasionally (about once a month) and cried - we didn't go in, and she'd go back to sleep in about 5 minutes.  Now she stands there, cries and yells "Mommy! Mommy" - we initially tried to ignore it, but she just kept going for over 30 minutes until I went in.  When I go in and sit on the chair in her room, she lays down and goes back to sleep. 

At bedtime, she goes to sleep on her own - I leave the room when she is still awake... but when she wakes up at night, she screams unless I sit there!

We tried an earlier bedtime for a week (7pm instead of 8pm), and it had no effect on her night waking... she only ended up getting up earlier in the morning (5am instead of 6am).

Now it got to the point when she wakes up every couple of hours and I have to sit in that chair to get her to go back to sleep!  It's like a nightmare!

I've had her ears checked, and she doesn't have an ear infection.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  I'm due with another baby in 3 months, and getting absolutely desperate about my toddler's new sleep problems!!!

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: formerly good sleeper 19mo wakes up at night!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 16:05:59 pm »
Maybe try the walk in/walkout method or gradual withdrawal.  There are losts of good posts about these methods on this board.