Author Topic: Frozen Foods  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Frozen Foods
« on: May 05, 2006, 13:37:12 pm »
So my DD is starting to get picky with mush and push the spoon/purees away. Am going to keep trying but then after she pushes away see if she'll take some finger foods. She's only had puffs so far but seems very interested so would like to try frozen peas and blueberries (two purees she's had and liked). So if I buy these frozen/organic do I just microwave or boil them and then serve? For how long do they need to be cooked?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Re: Frozen Foods
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 13:57:18 pm »
I steam my frozen veggies or nuke them. I had trouble with the frozen peas bc i think it's a bit gross to steam them till they are brown and dd didn't like the wee bits of pea covers. But, she is starting to chew now so it's better. I buy fresh frozen butternut squash and she loves that!
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 03:32:55 am »
Also says you have to  mash peas for a older baby finger food, Dont feed unmashed until 3 year old becuase of the choking hazzard.  Id say just put them in a  bowl with a tad of water and microwave for maybe a minute, then mash. 

I tried nuking frozen peas in the microwave twice, and both times they came out icky. Can't figure out why. I used a little bit of water the first time, and more water the second time. What am I doing wrong? I've been avoiding peas ever since then...

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 05:01:02 am »
Ah... perhaps I overcooked the peas. Next time I'll try cooking it for a lesser amount of time.

That Super Baby Food book sounds like a great resource. I wish I had gotten it a few months ago.

Marie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 15:27:34 pm »
Super Baby Food IS a good book but unfortunately, much of the allergy info is incorrect (trust me, as an allergy mod and with a cousin as an allergist, I am pretty up on this topic).

Blueberries are NOT a common allergen at all. Only strawberries and raspberries are. See this:

**Many believe that blueberries fall under the "no berries until after age 12 months old" rule. Blueberries are not really a common allergen - they are not in the "berry" family. Blueberries are related to cranberries - cranberries appear on many lists of "least allergenic foods" Blueberries are not related to strawberries, raspberries and the like. Those "true" berries may be mild to highly allergenic. In the book, Managing Allergy and Intolerance in the Allergic Infant (published for Health Care Professionals and The General Public), blueberries are recommended between 6-9 months old. There are also several other pediatric allergy books that say that blueberries are ok from 6-9 months old as well.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 17:21:33 pm »
Blueberries are NOT a common allergen at all. Only strawberries and raspberries are. See this:

Good to know! I thought blueberries (and cranberries) fell under the "berry" umbrella along with the rest. I notice it is strawberry season, have been meaning to pick up some. They're my favorite fruit. DD has only gotten a little bit of strawberry when I give her strawberry yogurt, so I think that's a negligible amount.

We have a Farmers Market at the Ferry Building where you can get fresh locally grown (and often organic) produce. I used to work near there so would go on Tuesday, but Saturday is the big one. I love the smells at the farmers market, and the fruits are so sweet. I wish it was convenient for me to go there now, unfortunately it is a bit out of the way for me especially with baby in tow. Hmmm... I guess I really should call her a 'toddler' now that she is 13 mos old, huh? So right now my produces is coming from Safeway, Albertsons, or Costco.
http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com

Marie

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:08:46 am »
I buy the frozen blueberries and nuk them in the microwave and mix them in with DD cereal she loves them.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 03:45:08 am »
We're pretty much done with purees and are primarily doing finger foods.  We microwave our frozen peas, and Kenzi's never had trouble eating them as is.  I've started buying the kind with little pieces of carrots mixed in, as well as all sorts of frozen veggies.  It's actually kind of freeing since I got tired of cooking huge batches and pureeing and freezing.  This way, I can just heat up enough for one meal at a time.  We also cut up frozen peaches; I think they feel good on her gums (another teething-for-six-months-with-no-results baby).
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:34:26 am »
This may be a stupid question but, here goes - I've been buying the frozen vegetables too & microwaving them...I can't get the consistency right though - & they are too hot for my ds...what is all of your suggestions on timing & cooling - just letting them sit out?

Thank
Brandi

[url=http://lilypie.com]