Author Topic: Still confused about awake time (12 wks)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline UNCMomma

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
Still confused about awake time (12 wks)
« on: May 05, 2006, 20:45:16 pm »
I know yall get tired of hearing the same questions over and over, but I am STILL confused about the amount of awake time needed for my baby, 12 weeks old tomorrow. 

We are in the midst of 30 min naps ALL DAY, so I'm wondering if awake time needs adjusting (more or less??) to help her get longer naps.  Because these short naps are the PITS!

I try to pay attention to sleepy cues.  This is slightly challenging for 2 reasons, the first being a 3 year old big sister who I have to keep my eyes on at least 50% of the time, and the second reason being it seems that my LO shows sleepy cues at the LAST minute, and gets overtired very quickly thereafter.  (1 yawn followed by crying).  When I am able to see the sleepy cues, it seems like they fall about 1 hour after DD wakes.  If she's had a short nap, it's sooner.

I'm stuck with these short naps though.  I'm torn, because it seems like she would need to accumulate more sleep to be able to sleep better and get through this phase with the short naps.  But then are the ultra-short awake times making it more difficult for her to get a longer nap?? 

Any advice or clarification would be appreciated! 

By the way, I've had little to no luck extending her naps. 

Thanks!  Amanda

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Still confused about awake time (12 wks)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 20:52:39 pm »
Amanda, so sorry you're experiencing rough times.  My dd was a 30 min napper as well, for the first 6 months.  I'm glad that you have tried the techniques to lengthen them, but I would encourage you to try again for an extended period of time.  I gave up too early and had to deal with a tired, cranky baby for 6 months. 
Otherwise, she will need more naps during the day, and after short bouts of A time b/c she is still tired from not having the proper rest.  I don't know how she sleeps at night, but my dd was a great night sleeper and that was my only salvation.  Anyway, I remember telling my mom, "I know it's sounds weird, but she needs a nap every 2 hrs."  Meaning, she would sleep 30 mins, be awake maybe 1.5 including the 40 mins it took her to nurse from being so tired, and then ready to sleep again.  And that was when she was a few months older.  Early on it was sooner than that.
So, you know you're not alone.  Just keep doing the best you can, do whatever works to get her some sleep and you some rest.  I'm sure it's not easy with a toddler, too.  She'll eventually sort it out and it will be bliss!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
Re: Still confused about awake time (12 wks)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 13:15:28 pm »
THANK YOU Heather, for the encouragement!  Deep down I know it's a phase, it just kills me to see her go through it, since she's such a happy baby when she's well rested.  And it gets worse and worse as the day goes on!  After such a bad day with it yesterday, I expected her night sleep to be all messed up, but she ended up sleeping very well after she had a little trouble getting to sleep initially.  So like you said, that was my saving grace too!  I'm glad to know it doesn't last forever, and I will keep trying to extend her naps in the hopes that ONE DAY it will work!  :)

Amanda