Author Topic: knackered and fed up!  (Read 3465 times)

Offline alimommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 06, 2006, 05:41:45 am »
This is my sixth day of starting EASY.  Beforehand my routine was pretty ok, my lo had naps and I had a life but he woke up twice a night.  I only really started easy to get him to sleep through the night but here I am sixth day in and more tired than before.

I have already posted the routine I have tried to follow - the 4 hour one - but as my lo wakes up at 6 and it is impossible to get him back to sleep it throws it off schedule every day.

This morning he woke up at 3.50am and spent until 4.30 trying to settle himself with lots of feet banging mattress and mantra but he couldnt do it so I intervened and helped and eventually he went to sleep at 5.20 only to wake up at 6 again with no intention or signs of going to sleep.

So now I have been awake, on my 6 th day, since 3.50am!

I didnt get any advice to my last posting so am really fed up and knackered and feel like giving up as I dont see how this is helping me at all.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: knackered and fed up!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:21:11 am »
(((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) to you

How old is your DS?

Could you post his routine, I know you have posted this before, but I can't find it.

I started on EASY when my DD was 8 weeks old, it took about 2 weeks to get into the swing of things.

Hang in there.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 10:28:48 am »
This is my sixth day of starting EASY.  Beforehand my routine was pretty ok, my lo had naps and I had a life but he woke up twice a night.  I only really started easy to get him to sleep through the night but here I am sixth day in and more tired than before.

Hi Alimommy, I am trying to get DD onto a routine, so I feel your pain! Sorry, didnt see your other post, but is the new routine very different than the one he was on until now? If so, would you, may be tweak it so it is closer to his old routine? I know they say 'get up at 7am, go to bed at 7pm' etc, but i know babies who go to bed at 10pm, wake up at 10am AND sleep through the nigth. Whatever works and suits the family, I guess!

Sorry I have no useful advice for you, I am still struggling with this, and tbh abandoned the idea several times and just went with the flow, I was getting too stuck into watchign the clock and it was taking over my life. Hope your lo sleeps soon!
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:23:07 am »
Corrina - here it is https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=59902.msg432904#msg432904
(sorry I am on and off today - bad night/morning)
Lauren x

Offline alimommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 11:57:59 am »
From a feeding point he is following the 4 hour plan but the times are all over the place.  He seems to want to get up any time after 6am so may be I should just accept that but I do NOT want to put him to bed at 6pm because when I go back to work this will mean that I dont see him at all which is why I was trying to follow 7-7.  Does anyone know whether it will work if he gets up at 6 but goes to bed 7/7.30 if he has enough naps?

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 14:00:39 pm »
When do you go back to work?

Quote (selected)
Does anyone know whether it will work if he gets up at 6 but goes to bed 7/7.30 if he has enough naps?

I think it will, not all babies require so much nighttime sleep.  But keep working on 7am Wake up 7pm Bed, or whatever time you want to work it.  Your DS is only starting on EASY, he is not used to it.

The main thing is not to feed him to sleep and that he can go to sleep independently.  That is the main things about EASY. 

It will work out in the end.

Any more questions feel free to ask. 
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline alimommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 14:33:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Im not having too much difficulty in getting him to go to sleep independently although lengthening the 45 mins naps isnt yet working but at least i have succeeded in one area. 

I go back to work in August when he will be 6 months old (he is 15 weeks at the moment) ? I was just trying to get the routine in place now rather than having to change it later - do you think I should deal one step at a time?

Also - I cant find any views of bw on when my lo should be in his own room.  Do you think this will help with the sleeping?

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 21:29:10 pm »
Alimommy-so sorry you're having a rough go of things.  Something to try to extend his morning wake time would to be blacking out all windows to cover the light.  When you move him to his own room is your own decision.  Has he ever slept in his crib?  If not, it may (or may not) take some work to get him used to it.  I know soooo many babies that wake at 6 am.  Sometimes there is nothing you can do to lengthen it.  If you want to keep him up later than 7, you may have to add in an extra catnap in the evening so that he doesn't get overtired.
As for EASY, remember that it is just a guide of how to structure your lo's day.  You should by no means be a slave to the clock.  Rather, take your cues from your lo.  Have you kept a journal/log?  This will really help you to find the consistencies of his days (how much time usually elapses before he's tired, how long he sleeps).  The best thing to do is put him down when he appears tired.  If he doesn't stay asleep long, do what you can to resettle him, and maybe next time try a different amount of A time, a different environment for sleep, a change to your winddown.  It's a lot of trial and error, but you're doing great!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Finns mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 22:02:24 pm »
Can't give you any advice as yet, but just wanted to say I know how you feel! Started EASY nearly 2 weeks ago and am struggling big time at the moment. It feels like life was much easier before I started! But I know once it starts to get settled it will be worth it in the end. Hopefully it won't take too much longer! In the meantime, hang on in there and take comfort in knowing you're not the only one!

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:57:06 am »
It took me nearly 1 1/2 months before she could go through to the next sleep cycle, of ssshhing.  Once we overcome the 45 nap monster (it rears its ugly head in the 2nd and 3rd month) she was great.  It will be worth it in the end.

August is a long way off, babies can change their routine every month, extending A times, extending nap times.

I put my DD in her own room when she outgrew her bassinet in our room.  She was about 12 weeks.  She definitely slept better, even though I missed her being by my side.

Good on you for being able to get your DS to go to sleep independently, I think that is probably the worst hurdle you will come across.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 20:51:06 pm »
Hang in there. EASY for us has been so worth it but our EASY didn't always take the correct order to start with and many a time I was tempted to jack it all in but we just kept working towards it. We kept making sure that they didn't fall asleep with the props and we were aware of the 45 min sleep cycle. I remember that my DD was not such a good day time sleeper as what DS has been but they both went in their own rooms very early (I didn't have black out blinds with DD but I do this time around!). DD was very large and outgrew her carrycot at 8 weeks and DS made so much noise I moved him out at 7 weeks (he had been having day sleeps in there for a few weeks). As soon as I moved them both out they seemed more settled (plus I stopped lying awake waiting for him to cry for a feed if he seemed a little restless). I knew this was going against the government advice so was a little nervous. I am not saying this is what you should do but just what we did.

I think the other thing I did more of this time around was not rushing in. If DS was suppose to be asleep then he was in his cot. I must have mis-read his cues today and he woke after his first sleep cycle for his afternoon nap. Knowing he should still be asleep I left him as he was happy. I kept sneaking back but he was just chilling out. I had to add an extra cat nap to the day. Some days he can wake right up during a nap and then go back 20 mins later or even be a little bit restless but I just look at it as though he is getting more practise at sleeping. I know I have gone into check on him at night and he's been wide awake and sometimes making lots of noise.

Not sure if this helps but just some thoughts. Sending you a big hug.

Good luck

J

[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline alimommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 07:31:51 am »
thank you to everybody who replied and for the uplifting comments and advice.  I decided to move my ds in to his own room 2 nights ago.  The first night he only woke once at 4am and it only took 10 mins to get him to sleep.  Last night he slept all the way through until 6am!!!

I am delighted.  I feel so much better. Things are now working out although I think I do have to accept that 6am is his waking time as he plays and grins away.

I will continue with the routine and have noticed that since I stopped clock watching and have done more cue watching that things have fallen into place!!!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 08:33:05 am »
Alison thats sounds excellent - well done  ;D
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 13:51:51 pm »
THat's so wonderful!  Congrats!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 16:14:03 pm »
I've read through the posts and I'm so happy for you that things are coming together!  Remember that most times when you're ready to give up, things start to get a little better.  And having some sort of plan or routine helps you through the bad times!  Congratulations, you and your baby have accomplished a lot!  :)

Amanda