Author Topic: Carriers for toddlers  (Read 2431 times)

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Carriers for toddlers
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:02:07 am »
Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for buying a framed carrier for carting our toddler about.  She's 12 kilos almost and the soft carrier we have just doesn't cut it anymore. 

thanks
char
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Lan

Re: Carriers for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 00:57:56 am »
We've used a Macpac Possum backpack, it's not cheap but we bought it before an overseas trip and it was a godsend! It has very useful pockets, it's easy to get on an off and pretty easy to get the baby in and out. We used it a lot until my son turned 2 - he loved it when he was 1 but now wants to walk everywhere himself - doesn't want to get in the stroller either.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 02:33:46 am »
We have a Kelty backpack that is great for outdoors type things or if you live in a big city and trek about. Otherwise a light weight stroller or buggy is great. My dd was great about sitting in it because we did it from day 1, like the shopping cart at the grocery store. Ds is awful, always wanting down, but I make him sit in it anyway. Safety first.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »
I have a friend who swears by her Ergo carrier.  I have looked at them and am jealous I didn't get one when John was younger/smaller.  It doesn't have a frame, but it is a backpack type carrier.  She says it is more comfortable than the Mai-tei for both of them, and can convert easily between her and her DH. I don't remember the website for it, but you could Goggle Ergo baby and find it.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

s_olano00

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:36:32 pm »
I am so glad you posted this question. Anna Krisztina is getting heavier by the minute and I need a carrier too.

I bought a wrap this week and right now I am doing the hip-carrier. It's very easy to do and quite comfortable for both of us. The problem is dealing with such a long piece of fabric. I hate when it touches the street....

I am considering buying a back-pack type, so I'll lurk around for everyone's advise.......

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:53 am »
Thanks, a few types to look into!  We just came back from a long weekend at Tasmania and would have loved to have gotten one, but ran out of time for shopping and considering which one.  Naturally it rained heaps and dd would have gotten wet anyway. 

I have to say she was very good being held through the Cadbury chocolate factory tour!  Can't take anything with you in there for health/safety reasons.  Amazing how much baby stuff we need.  In my mind I was thinking 'right she'll need her water bottle, dummy in case of emergency, a pack of sultanas in case...' of course had to go cold turkey (well not quite, I stashed a dummy in dh jacket pocket!  )
 :D
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 02:28:51 am »
I have a friend who swears by her Ergo carrier.  I have looked at them and am jealous I didn't get one when John was younger/smaller.  It doesn't have a frame, but it is a backpack type carrier.  She says it is more comfortable than the Mai-tei for both of them, and can convert easily between her and her DH. I don't remember the website for it, but you could Goggle Ergo baby and find it.

I have an Ergo Baby Carrier, which my mom got me after she saw a woman wearing her baby in it. I was skeptical at first, I was already happy with the Baby Bjorn I was using at the time. I didn't like it at first, but I tihnk it was more because of my baby's size at the time, it was hard to get her into it and she did not "help". She was fitting better in the Baby Bjorn back then.

But I LOVE the Ergo Baby Carrier now!!! She's 13 months now, more than 17 lbs, and she fits into it much better than when I first got it. And she loves getting into the Ergo Baby Carrier (big smiles!), she thinks it is much better than being strapped into the stroller (which she hates!). The Ergo Baby Carrier is comfortable, I can wear her a long time with no discomfort. I hardly notice her weight, except when she decides to lean too far over to one side (who knows what is going on in her mind when she is suddenly interested in looking at something on the ground, lol). DH also likes using it too, and it is never difficult to adjust the straps between the two of us (he's 5'6" and I'm 5'). I like the sleeping hood, it took me some practice to get it on her, but it's nice to give her come cover if she happens to fall asleep, and I think it helps prevent her head from bobbing all over the place.

Here's the website for the Ergo Baby Carrier: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Marie

Offline cjwagner77

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 11:57:04 am »
I also LOVE the Ergo.  I got it when my dd was about 12 months and about 25 pounds.  I am 5'2" so the framed backpacks don't work very well for me.  They are sized for a taller person.  Dd would love to get in while I was cooking or if she was just fussy.  I also used it a lot when we went to the farmers market so I would know she was safe and still have my hands free.  It took some practice, but I was able to get her on my back by myself at the farmers market.  I have worn her for over 2 hours at a time and have had absolutely no back pain.  (The key is to make sure you have it adjusted correctly and stand up straight.  Don't correct for them being in it.  If you have them sitting in the seat as they should be, it is almost impossible for them to fall out.  I leaned forward at first afraid she would lean out and that hurt my back.  Once I stopped worrying about it and stood up, no problems.)

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 16:21:45 pm »
(The key is to make sure you have it adjusted correctly and stand up straight.  Don't correct for them being in it.  If you have them sitting in the seat as they should be, it is almost impossible for them to fall out.  I leaned forward at first afraid she would lean out and that hurt my back.  Once I stopped worrying about it and stood up, no problems.)

I know exactly what you mean cuz I tried to compensate at first too. Now I stand straight knowing she's secure back there.

The only minor problem we have with the Ergo is when one or both of us overheat on those warmer days. She gets really fussy when she over heats and then she'll want out. This tends to be more of a problem with DH though, cuz he tends to overheat easily.

Marie