Author Topic: real nappies and activity  (Read 1638 times)

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
real nappies and activity
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:37:13 am »
this is a weird one, but thought there's bound to be other mums out there who have experienced this.....

i've been using 'eco-friendly' disposable nappies on my lo (4 months old) since she was born. they are fine, but the fact that they still go into our waste bin and then into a landfill fills me with a lot of guilt (which i can do without quite frankly!!) 

we decided to try real nappies as she pees and poos a lot less than she used to, and now that she's into a good routine i felt i could cope with the extra washing.

anyway, we opted for shaped nappies (tots bots fluffles) with a wrap over. the nappy itself is quite big. we went for size 2 as this covers 10lbs-1year (size one is newborn to 18lbs and my lo is 13.5lbs at the moment and growing fast!). now the trouble is as soon as the wrap goes on the whole thing becomes VERY bulky and hard and immediately it was obvious that my dd couldn't lift her legs properly and she certainly couldn't roll (and she LOVES to roll!!)

she looked uncomfortable and frustrated and it made me sad to see her like that :-[

anyway...i know we can just go back to disposables, but i am really keen to keep going with the real nappies. there are lots of different types, but as we have a small apartment and no real drying facilities the fluffles seemed like the best bet (man-made quick drying). they are also very expensive so i want to try out different options first.

my question is...do any of you use real nappies? can your los move around and function ok in them? what type do you use? etc etc

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Re: real nappies and activity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 13:29:22 pm »
Hi there, i use cloth nappies with my ds, who is 10 months old. I was worried about them affecting his mobility too, but he really doesn't notice the difference! He was never much of a roller (!) but sat up at 5 mos and crawled at 8 mos. Now at 10 mos he is cruising and you just can't stop him!!

I wouldn't worry about it, she'll figure out how to roll in them soon and then be on to the next thing!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 13:33:27 pm »
Hi, I use tots bots fluffles size 2, and both of mine (10 months) have no trouble rolling.  In fact, as I type, they have both rolled onto their tummies!
I think mine weigh about 17/18lbs now.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 18:38:16 pm »
thanks. that's good to know  :)

i think it actually may be the wrap. my dd is quite small and the wrap i have (motherease rikki) goes quite high over her waist (even though it's a small). it means when she tries to lift her legs to roll over she can't  :-[

there are plenty other wraps that look neater so i'll give them a try!

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 19:25:46 pm »
I had this the first time I tried Caspar in cloth, you have to make sure that the elastic around the leg holes is quite snugly up into their groin. They get used to it!

I use Rikki wraps and I love them. Have some bumbles, tots, kissaluvs right now.

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 19:23:53 pm »
ok...got a motherease airflow wrap which is elasticated at the waist and has poppers instead of velcro so it's not as high at the waist as the rikki and it's MUCH better!!

wiki - i also made sure i got the elastic nice and snug at dd's groin and that also made a hige difference!

she is now in real nappies and is rolling and shuffling happily around the floor again  ;D

Offline JanJ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:48:40 am »
I use cloth nappies on my 6 month old baby boy and he has been rolling since 12 weeks old and is now starting to crawl.  As you can see they have not hindered him in any way.  I do use the conventional flannellete square however, and these dry very quickly over a heating vent.
 Well done to everyone using cloth nappies!   They are so much cheaper and better for our environment.