Author Topic: 4.5 hour EASY?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
4.5 hour EASY?
« on: May 06, 2006, 21:38:40 pm »
I guess this isn't so much 4.5 hour EASY, but 4.5 hour spaced feedings question.

My LO is nearly 19 weeks old and has been on 4 hour EASY since about 12 weeks old. We pretty much jumped from 3 hour EASY to 4 hour EASY at that time really quickly. Didn't even need the 3.5 hour transition as he was ready.

We recently figured out he has reflux so have been dealing with that and he's been having a lot of trouble with taking his bottles, and lots of pain with eating, constipation, vomiting, etc. Happily, the last couple of days he seems to be ready to eat again! However, I'm noticing that he'll take his bottle MUCH better if I space them at 4.5 hours rather than 4 hours. At 4 hours he pulls away from the bottle, plays with the nipple, etc. At 4.5 hours he drinks easily and happily like he used to before the reflux became so terrible.

I'm asking this question to find out if this is a natural thing that babies do - extend eating time again to 4.5 hours - or if this is just something he's doing because of the reflux. Maybe his tummy pain makes him need more time to digest his food? We aren't doing any cereals or solids yet, so I find it strange he is not hungrier sooner as he's a pretty large lad - about 18 lbs right now. He was taking about 32-34 oz per day before the reflux got so bad. Now I'm lucky to get 30 oz down him, and some days as little as 25 oz.

Just would like to hear if spacing feedings farther apart is a natural transition as tracy's books don't really talk about what happens after 4 hour EASY, especially BEFORE you start solids.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: 4.5 hour EASY?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 00:41:31 am »
I think that as long as he continues to gain weight and have plenty of diaper output that he should be fine.  30 oz per day should be fine, too.  He won't starve himself, so just go with his lead.
Glad he's doing better.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:52:04 am »
My LO is nearly 19 weeks old and has been on 4 hour EASY since about 12 weeks old. We pretty much jumped from 3 hour EASY to 4 hour EASY at that time really quickly. Didn't even need the 3.5 hour transition as he was ready.

Just to let you know this sounds like the path Calum took, he has been on 4.5hr EASY since he was 15/16 weeks old and has been ever since.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 22:00:01 pm »
Ok. Good! That makes me feel better. I'm not sure what changes are part of his growing up and what changes are part of his reflux. It's all so confusing. Then again, I'm sure things will just change again next week, so I'm not sure why I care why they are changing! LOL!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!