Author Topic: Food Strike  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Food Strike
« on: May 06, 2006, 23:47:05 pm »
So lately DD doesn't want to eat anything - bottle intake way down, solid intake down. She was having about 24-28 ounces formula plus two solids meals a day. Now she's down to 16-18 ounces and only half of each solid meal. We took her to the doctor yesterday - all is fine (ears, throat, etc). No teeth about to come through, although she certainly acts like she's teething. Part of it seems to be an independence/frustration issue overall. But we've tried sippy/straw cups - doesn't help, tried finger foods, etc.

Other than Puffs and some Cheerios, she doesn't understand finger foods and just gets really frustrated. I've tried fruit slices coated in cereal, small soft chicken pieces, small soft pasta pieces - she just gets really upset. Yet she would eat some of our french fries at dinner tonight. Well chew some and throw rest on floor but did get some in.

Any ideas? We're at a loss! She's sleeping well and playing - just not really eating and then whines from hunger sometimes.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Food Strike
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 02:31:04 am »
Could it be teething pains? DD ate less when she was going through teething.

Has she reached some sort of developmental milestone? (crawling? walking? etc)

Marie

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 05:00:38 am »
Karen Catherine was teething off and on since 6months and they finally came through at 8months.
Even though you might not be able to see them they are can still be moving under the gums. Just keep persisting with the food, Catherine went off hers for a week i started panicking but now she is back to normal. She is also been very fussy with her formula so we dropped a bottle and just added the amounts to her morning and night bottle and give some extra with her lunch in her sippy.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 11:00:04 am »
Well I'm convinced that she's teething although I've thought that for MONTHS now...

I'd love to drop a bottle and add but she's fussy with all her bottles! Her bedtime bottle is 2-3 ounces now if we're lucky...

She's been crawling on belly for some time now - starting to get on hands and knees and starting to stand a bit. Also babbling more
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 11:17:55 am »
Hi

How old is your DD?
Debbie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »
9 months (well in 4 days anyway).

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 16:12:19 pm »
Well I'm convinced that she's teething although I've thought that for MONTHS now... 

LOL, well yes, they're always working on pushing out teeth. I think of teething as an undulating wave where there are times when it tends to peak, and that tended to be when DD's feedings were most affected.

Marie

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 18:54:20 pm »
Phoebe will be a year (May 21st) ans I have seen this phase you are going thru, she is in it at the moment.
When Phoebe was 9mths she was on 3 formula feeds.
Morning - 8oz split between 5oz bottle and 3oz on cereal plus some fruit
She also went thru a phase of only drinking milk (5oz) and not eating cereal. I would leave a gap of about 30/45mins before giving solid brekkie. When she did not eat cereal made with milk I gave dry cherrios followed by strawberries/banana (Vit C helps Iron absorbation).
Also sliced half banana cooked knob butter for 2mins , than add little fresh OJ and cook 1min, than follow half pot yoghurt.

Lunch would be about 6/8 tablespoons meat or some kinda portein with veggies with water, no formula/milk.

She was having a milk feed at about 1430 but dropped it at 9mths as she was not showing much interest in her tea. Seh was fine with it. IfI felt she was lacking in milk intake I would give a calcuim replacement like cheese/ yoghurt. I'm in UK ans use Litle Rachels Organic yorghurt and it is equal to about a 7oz bottle.

Tea would be at 5ish , pasta and sauce or baked pot & cheese or corn chowder made with milk, this also helped with days of lower milk intake. I made her main meal at lunchtime as she is more alert and wanting food where the evenings she is a little more tired and less patient. If she did not eat well at tea it did not bother me as she had goos brekkie and lunch.

Her bedtime bottle was 8oz.

Teething does have an impact (going thru it at moment so sometimes Ipuree food more than normal so that it is not as much work for her to chew).

I make chicken and apple nugget using wholemeal breadcrumbs to coat,it sweetens chicken and as chicken is minced/ground it is easier to chew.
Banana is good at brekkie as a finger food as easy to hold, still thinking feels so long ago!!!!!

Keep going, don't stress out!!!!! I say that but not practising it myself.

DEbbie

Offline mishmosh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:17:58 am »
my daughter who is over 7 months is not interested at all in food. She blows raspberries whenever anything comes near her mouth.
She also developed a dislike of milk - we measured and she had just over 500ml in 24 hours - not enough for her size - she is in the 90th percentile for height.
The doctor says it is enough to keep her from being dehydrated...

It is so hard not to laugh when she blows raspberries cos it is so cute!