Author Topic: teething........  (Read 1214 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 08, 2006, 15:49:35 pm »
Any suggestions?  My dd is now getting up every 2 hrs at night.  I think she's teething. 

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: teething........
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 15:52:48 pm »
have you been giving tylenol or something to help with pain? how about orajel for those wakings that you can't give more tylenol? are you positive it is teething? or could it be some other discomfort? how old is your lo?

i would think that your lo would be able to sleep through the pain if you are giving a pain reliever...could lo be overtired and perhaps waking b/c of that..?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 16:00:14 pm »
Actually you can give tylonal every 4 hours so if its been 4 hours since the last dose you can give more, orajel or baby ambisol are also good. Motrin is better for the long term pain relief because it works for 8 hours instead of 4 hours.
Kimberly

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 16:04:02 pm »
absolutely agree that mortin works better...only it caused dd terrible tummy aches.. :-\  :-\
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 17:41:56 pm »
Yeah it does that for some LO's :(
for us tylonal kept DD up all the time  ::)
Sometimes you just can't win
Kimberly

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 21:04:42 pm »
I'm assuming it's teething.  Before her 4 month check up and shots last Friday she would wake at 1030 or 1100, feed and then would sleep till 7 the next morning.  Since Friday she wakes at 130 and 330.  I don't feed her.  I just pat and shush her in her crib.  I don't think she's hungry.  She did have a little drop on the growth curve with her weight and it makes me wonder if I should feed her to get more calories in, but at the same time I don't want to start a bad habit.  The doctor wasn't worried as long as she doesn't loose weight and her growth curve ontinues to drop.  She is breast fed and on a 4 hr easy.  i top her off before bed with about 2 ounces of bm I pump in the morning.  She gets 5 feeds (including the 1030 feed).  She goes to bed between 7 and 8.  She has 2 naps/day ranging from 1 to 2 hrs and a catnap in late evening of about 30-45 min.  Should I feed her?  Could it be gas or teething?  I'll try the oragel tonight-Thanks!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:37:14 am »
Also know that needles do effect sleep, even days afterwards.
While hunger is a possibility, if she wakes and you can settle her and she stays asleep, then no she probably doesn't need to be fed.
If however the patern she is following continues, maybe try settling at the first waking and then if she wakes a second time feed her and she may in fact stop waking, she is at the age that a growth spurt may have started so try increasing the times for each feed if you can during the day.
No its not uncommon for LO's to loose weight at somepoint, or to stop gaining and just remain the same weight for a while. Especially when they start to move more and are more active in general.
Kimberly