Author Topic: Someone PLEASE tell me I am not crazy.  (Read 1592 times)

laurennsarah

Someone PLEASE tell me I am not crazy.
« on: May 08, 2006, 14:50:48 pm »
Daughter reacts to milk and soy products.  I thought I had it all down with reading the labels.  There were a few pre-packaged meals without milk and soy.  Last month my daughter started rejecting foods, ones she had previously enjoyed and became a baby-monster.  I chalked it up to teething, sickness, being a baby, etc.  When I tried to re-introduce Gerber Graduates chicken pasta pickups, one thing she truly loved, she wouldn't touch them.  So I read the label - often times she will not eat something if she detects the milk or soy before I do (how, I am not sure).  Anyway, the label states now they have milk and cheese in them.  She had quit eating other pre-packaged toddler foods (chicken and stars) and sure enough they now have milk on the label.  My question - did I just not notice it before or have they started adding it?  I know I have read the labels numerous times, could I have possibly missed it?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Someone PLEASE tell me I am not crazy.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 15:02:14 pm »
Kathy - you are not crazy at all. As for Jan 1 of this year, a new labeling law went into effect - now it is required that labels are marked so that a 7-year old can read and understand all the ingredients - all allergens must now be declared, even if in spices or flavoring only, and the possibility of trace amounts must be listed too. As a result, labels have drastically changed. For example, an ingredient list doesn't say butter anymore, it says butter (from milk products) or the like. Long overdue, I'd say!

I'm sorry your DD was inadvertently eating dairy and hope she feels better soon. You are a GREAT mom for staying on top of her intolerance like this!

See more information here:
http://www.foodallergy.org/Advocacy/labeling.html
http://www.allergicchild.com/milk_allergy.htm
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

laurennsarah

Re: Someone PLEASE tell me I am not crazy.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 15:22:07 pm »
Thank you so much!