Author Topic: getting 10 month old to drink more than 15 oz  (Read 12380 times)

Offline shannon S

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
getting 10 month old to drink more than 15 oz
« on: May 08, 2006, 19:41:05 pm »
Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to get my lo to drink more formula.
She has never really loved her bottles.  But she is a good size for her age and eats solids well, so I don't know if I need to worry myself.
All the readings suggest 20-24 oz.  Most days she will get 15 oz, some days 19.
She drinks 6 oz upon waking
               1 or 2 oz with cereal sometimes
               2 or 3 with lunch
               3 or 4 oz afternoon bottle
               4 or 5 oz at bedtime

I have tried 4 bottles per day or 3 bottles per day but it doesn't make a difference. It seems after that morning bottle she will never take more than 3 oz at once.  At bedtime we have to fight to get 4 or 5 oz in her.
She would maybe take an oz here and there during the day but wouldn't this be a bad habbit?

Do you think she is okay with 15 oz if that is all she will take?
I always say "she would drink if she was hungry" but then I still am constantly wondering why she won't drink.
Most babies I know love their bottles!
shannon

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: getting 10 month old to drink more than 15 oz
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 19:46:48 pm »
Hi Shannon

Have you tried giving her just 3 bottles even spaced throughout the day? instead of 4. When you tried it before how long did you stick with it for? It is also not uncommon for LO to have less at their 1st feed. Do you offer her water/juice throughout the day as well? Are you giving her milk in any of her solids to compensate?

You may find that this is what she is tell you and she may also increase her intake over the course of a few days as a result.

Sorry more questions  ::)
Lauren x

Offline Rachel G

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 20:17:50 pm »
Hi there!

I wouldn't worry too much. My son was on 40oz a day by 9 weeks and has always loved his milk. My daughter, on the other hand has never drunk as much as the recommended amount and although I worried about it I realised that I couldn't force her to drink it, and it was a waste of expensive formula!! She's now 14 months and has 9oz a day - 4 in the morning and 5 at night. Sometimes she doesn't even manage all of that. I mix her cereal with milk and use a splash of cows milk to cool down dishes if I warm them up too much. I also make sure she has a yoghurt and some cheese every day.

Don't forget that they're meant to increase the amount of solids they have as they get closer to one anyway, so giving more bottles isn't a good idea. I have a friend whose 3 year old constantly snacks on bottles and eats hardly any proper food at all! I think that as long as your little one is eating a varied diet and sleeping well, the amount of milk she's getting is fine.

Hope this helps!

Offline DJs mummy

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 20:42:52 pm »
My ds gave up bottles around 11 months  :(  He was ready but I wasn't :-\  It became a horrible battle every time to try to get him to take a couple of ounces.  So we just switched to  offering milk in a sippy (and relaxing regardless of how much he drank - sometimes none!) and offering milk on food.  He is a really good solids eater so we give him weetabix swimming in milk for breakfast and we also give him a bowl of porridge every night made up with about 5 oz of milk.  In total I wouldn't think he has more than about 10oz each day, but he loves cheese and yogurts so I'm not worried anymore.

I used to really worry, but I have been given a lot of advice on here and from my health visitors that the dairy can be given in other just as effective ways other than milk.

All the best.

Offline shannon S

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 21:19:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies!
I have tried 3 bottles evenly spaced.  Kept it up for a couple weeks and am basically doing that now. The odd day she would take 5 oz for that 2nd bottle but other days she would only take 3 oz.  So some days I try 3 oz at lunch in a sippy and then 3 or 4oz in afternoon. That worked today!  So I guess she would take it if she needs it.
If she doesn't drink her full bottle during the morning then I definatly use formula to mix with cereal for breaky.
Sometimes a little cereal at lunch with formula but not enough to make a difference.
I give lo a little water throughout the day(probably no more than 2 or 3 oz), but just to get her using a sippy.  I haven't given her juice yet.  should I?
I get stressed at night when she only drinks a few oz because I think it will cause her to wake a lot. But she always wakes a lot no matter how much she drinks.
Guess I should just be happy she eats solids well. I just wondered if I was giving her too much solids and that's why she wouldn't drink.
But you're right, she'll be one before I know it and solids will go up anyway.

I have just started yogurt.  Does anyone know if it matters what kind of yogurt ( I know not to give low fat or sugar free) but does it have to be plain yogurt at first?  And should I give it once or twice a day?  Also re: the cheese, my lo really doesn't think much of chunks in her mouth except melt in your mouth cereal or cookies.  But I guess if I just keep trying she may eventually eat the cheese.

Thanks for the help!
shannon

Offline Rachel G

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 16:55:16 pm »
Hi!

It sounds like everything is going really well! I'm convinced that sometimes when you as the mum stop stressing about something, the LO picks up on it. As far as yoghurt goes, I don't think it matters what you give them - mine have always had organic fruit full fat ones. Once they got used to it I started giving ones with fruit bits in them. My DD won't eat fruit as fruit so I've found this a good way to sneak it in. Can't blame her though, as I don't like fruit either!! As for the cheese, she'll come to it as she gets older. I started mine on grated cheese and went from there.

I'm really glad you sound less stressed than before!!

Hugs to you!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 16:57:24 pm »
Shannon
I know of another mummy on the site who is having similar problems to yourself. I will PM her to see if she can advise you what she is currently doing. Her Lo has never really enjoyed milk either.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 19:15:10 pm »
Hi Shannon,

Callums Mum asked me to post.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone - my DS is nearly 10 months and has never been fond of his milk and we have gone through quite a few bottle strikes.

We have even gone as long as 5 days with DS refusing every bottle that I offered him.  Some of the time I put it down to teething as he just does not want to suck at all.  I have never been able to get DS to drink the recommended amount of milk.

At the moment I am lucky if I can get DS to drink 15oz. 

When speaking to my HV - they said that I cannot force him to drink his milk, and that he is a healthy weight and that he is thriving and there is nothing to worry about.  They said that if he is refusing to drink all his milk, offer him dairy products i.e. cheese, yogurt etc and are eating a varied diet with fruit and veggies for vitamins, they will be fine.  Like she said you cant open their mouth and force them to drink.

I have also switched my DS to the stage 4 follow on formula from 9 months and this seems to be a lot creamier and he really likes this one.

I have just really relaxed myself with regards to the whole milk situation, and am not stressing anymore, as I used to get myself so worked up and really stressed and am sure that DS picked up on it.

Hope all is going well - please PM me if you need any advice on this as believe me I think I have gone through it all when it comes to bottles with DS.

I will also keep you posted on how we get on.

Take care

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 20:26:43 pm »
Hi

Phoebe was only on 2 bottles at this age, about 12oz in formula and rest by milk included in cooking,yoghurts, dairy products.
Your LO in heading in right direction as solids will soon become main food source.
Phoebe has always been on the lower milk intake threshold, if she wants morethan she'll take it.
They are all different and books give us guidelines so don't panic.

If LO not taking milk, give yoghurt, cheese, homemade fruit smoothie yummy and so much nicer than plain milk!!!!

Good luck, 

DEbs

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 23:33:54 pm »
We are also having this same problem we just recently moved from 3 bottles to 2 as DD was only having 4ozs at lunch but it would be a struggle to get her to drink this then she would fight her bedtime bottle. I give her 2-4ozs of milk in a cup with meals which she generally drinks (however this is cows milk she much pefers this). Even getting her to drink her morning and night bottle of 8ozs is a struggle at times. We are planning on weining to cows milk next month i am going to talk to my Health Nurse about this to make sure it is ok. However my DD has plenty of yoghurt,cheese and custard for calcium, i give her the baby cereal with extra vitamins and iron and she has a variety of meat and vegetables for dinner.
My DD has never been a great lover of formula, she dropped to 4x7ozs at 2months and then 3x8ozs at 5months so i assumed she would drop to 2 bottles earlier as well.
Please also PM me if you need to talk more, perhaps we could start the "OUR BABIES HATE FORMULA CLUB"  :D

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline shannon S

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:31 am »
No kidding!  I thought babies were supposed to love their bottles.
Thanks to all of you for the replies.  I have stopped worrying about it as of today. You all made me feel better!

The last two days, I gave lo some formula in a sippy at lunch and some at her snack..... (instead of that 6oz mid day bottle that she never drinks) so we got at least 16 oz. todayI put some in her mashed potatoes, hadn't done that before.  And gave her yogurt.. She even took a little of a cheese slice.

Dumb question now....How and when would you suggest a smoothie? Do you put it in the blender, do you use yogurt, formula, fruit.  Please let me know.  Is it thick or thin?  At snack time?

Thanks!
From
no longer worrying mom! (lo is healthy)

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 18:07:12 pm »
I try not to give fruit after lunch as Phoebe has habit of waking early with a lovely package for me.
I give it when she doesn't eat lunch, been off colour for few days, wont drink morning bottle.

I use both formula/cows , choose whatever
Add banana (helps thicken) some natural yoghurt and strawberries/raspberries, she is OK with these fruits.

You can choose the thickness, Phoebe will drink from normal cup (held by me as much as poss)

She ahd good intake today 16oz.
Just to let you know that a 100ml pot yoghurt is equal to about 4.5oz milk.
2oz cheese is equal to about 4oz milk.

Debs