Author Topic: Switched to 4 hr. EASY- Waking every hour  (Read 1847 times)

Offline josiahsmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
Switched to 4 hr. EASY- Waking every hour
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:18:35 pm »
My 3 mo. old (14 wk) ds weighs about 16 pounds, and when he didn't seem very hungry at 3 hours I started extending his EASY. He has never taken good naps (only 30-45 minutes) but he started to be willing to go back to sleep as the EASY got longer.  When he slept for 2 hours for both morning and afternoon nap, he automatically put himself on a basic 4 hour routine. So he would get up at 7:45, sleep at 9:45, get up and eat at 11:45, sleep at 1:45, get up at 3:45. The next part was tricky, because he would go to sleep about 5:45 for his catnap, but he thought he should eat after waking at 6:15, because he always eats when he wakes up. If anything interesting was happening, though, like going somewhere or sitting in his swing, he would forget about eating. Then I'd put him in pajamas, feed him at 7:30, swaddle him below the arms (he likes to suck his fist/thumb and throws a fit if his arms are constrained) and put him to bed. If I tried to shorten the time between waking and feeding, he didn't want to sleep when I put him in bed.

Well, that's what we've been doing the last few days, and he seems to have been adjusting well. He's never gotten this much naptime sleep before, and when I do a yield for breastfeeding, he seems to be taking about 8 oz at a time. He drinks from one side unless he's still hungry, in which case I give him the other. So daytime is going fairly well, but he's started waking up on the hour during the night.

We do a dreamfeed about 10:45, and he wakes about 1:00. He fusses until someone goes to him, and he gets longer and more insistent if we wait. Eventually he would get into a cry. He's not hungry, because he'll happily take his pacifier and go back to sleep. Then he wakes at 2:00 and does the same thing. At 3:00 last night he didn't go back to sleep, and I had to keep giving him his pacifier until I gave up and fed him at 3:30, which put him to sleep until 6:45. He was still crying which meant he wasn't ready to get up. (When he wakes for the morning he coos) After taking the pacifier for awhile he finally slept through his regular time.

He's getting more physically active, holding himself on fully extended arms and kicking more, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. No cereal yet. A time varies, because he may nurse as short as 10 minutes or as long as 30. So A time can be as long as 1 hr and 40 minutes. I've given up on a long winddown routine, because by the time he's decided he's tired, he just wants to have his pacifier and go to sleep. He always has fallen asleep for his nap very quickly- generally less than 5 minutes. It takes him about a half hour to go to sleep at night. There, I think that's the miscellaneous stuff you would need to know.

Any suggestions to help him sleep at night? I could feed him to sleep once or twice more a night, but that seems like we'd be moving in the wrong direction. He's slept fairly well through the night before this, but he always wakes up to feed at least once after the dreamfeed and before he wakes up for the day. His days are going so well since we switched to the 4 hr that I'm reluctant to move him back. Do you think he'll slowly adjust on his own? Once he's in a deep sleep he doesn't need a pacifier. Sorry this was so long and disjointed. Thanks for your help.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Switched to 4 hr. EASY- Waking every hour
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 18:21:49 pm »
ok well if you could post your daily routine that would help a lot! :)

could lo be overtired/overstimulated? or could lo be in pain due to gas or tummy ache?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 19:26:45 pm »
Well, I don't have much to add to the routine that I mentioned, but here it is in EAS form:
E 7:45
A 8:00
S 9:45-10:20, wakes, reinsert pacifier and give lovey, plays with lovey for awhile and goes back to sleep @ 10:50 (paranoid mom checks him (but doesn't disturb him) every 5 minutes due to increased SIDS risk with lovey) sleeps till 11:45-12:00
E 11:45
A 12:00
S 1:45 see above
E 4:00
A 4:15
S 6:00 catnap
A 6:45
E 7:30
S bed at 8:00, asleep around 8:30
E dreamfeed 10:45
wakes on the hour starting around 1:00- no calming needed just reinsert pacifier
feed around 4:30, hope he sleeps till 7:45, but lately he wakes at 6:45- give pacifier and falls back to sleep

He does sleep poorly when he is overstimulated, but this new problem seems to be becoming a habit, and he doesn't seem to be overstimulated every day. As far as overtired goes, he is getting more naptime sleep now than he ever has had. He seems to be pretty obvious when he is uncomfortable, so that doesn't seem to be it. Could he be getting too much sleep now?

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:48:36 am »
have you tried wake to sleep? it may work since it seems your lo isn't able to get through sleep cycles?? i would start doing this with naps first and then see how the night goes...if it helps improve things at all. it could be lo isn't getting 'quality' rest during the day with naps b/c he isn't able to get through those sleep cycles kwim?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 15:03:19 pm »
Just an update: the last several days have been crazy as family was visiting. When I've gotten a chance to try wake to sleep, it hasn't worked yet. Either he wakes up completely or he stirs and still wakes at the normal time.  Josiah has been exhausted most of the time due to the extra grandparent stimulation, so it's hard to tell what he's "normally" doing at this point. 

I'm trying a few basic changes like feeding him when he wants to eat after he wakes up from the catnap, even if it's only been 2 1/2 hours.  Since he cries less during the evening that way, it seems to help him stay calmer and sleep better at night.  Then I give him a topoff if he wants it before bed.  We're also starting a rocking/lullaby time before bed, but we still put him down before he goes to sleep.  I'm also suspending the dream feed for right now.  If he wasn't waking to eat then, and he still woke up to eat at least 2 more times during the night, why not let him wake up at midnight instead, with only one more time during the night?  I had started going to bed early to catch as much sleep as possible, so I had to wake up to do the dreamfeed anyway. 

Last night was almost perfect for us, but I'm not sure if he just slept due to exhaustion.  We had to be out late for church, so he didn't get to bed till about 9:00 (21:00).  He slept till 1:00, ate, went back to sleep until 4:45, ate, and slept until 7:45 this morning.  That schedule is a lot more welcome after what we did last week.  So I guess we'll just hope and pray that tonight is similar.  I'm wondering if he's frustrated that he doesn't know what to do with his newfound strength in arms and legs.  He flails and kicks, but he has no way to channel the energy.  I'll try to give him chances to move during the day and see what happens, I guess.  Thanks for your help so far.

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 14:52:57 pm »
Well, not much luck. Our schedule now consistently looks like this:

Wake 5:30-6:00, give pacifier repeatedly until falls back asleep until 7:30-7:45
E 8:00
A
S 9:30
E 11:30
A
S 1:30
E 3:30
A
S 5:30 or 5:45 until 6:15 or so
E 6:30
A chills on couch with pacifier and a blanket
S daddy gets home @ 7:30 and rocks him and puts him to bed, but he often stays awake until after 9:00, and wakes frequently after that- during the night he eats usually between 12:00 and 1:00 and then between 3:00 and 4:00, but the whole time he's waking up every hour. He generally cries until he gets his pacifier, then goes back to sleep.

He has seemed to be toying with teething a little. One day he ate considerably less than usual, was fussy, and chewed everything, including the nipple on the bottle that I'd hoped would convince him to eat more. Yesterday, though, he ate as much as ever, and still had trouble at night.

Josiah loves to play with his daddy. Do you think that after having had a calm day, he just sees him and wants to play? DH has been very good about not riling him up when he gets home, but there seems to be a twinkle in Josiah's eye just the same.

We have tried wake to sleep during day time naps, but it rarely works at all, and when it does work, the very longest he has slept was about an hour. He likes the lovey though, and sleeps better when he has it. He sleeps for the majority of the 2 hours every time now. I'm very hesitant to give the lovey to him at night, though, because of the SIDS risk. He's still less than 4 months old.

He did start sleeping in his crib for the night. We moved him from the bassinet last week, and now he doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but he wakes up as much as ever.

I know there are a few variables here. Any suggestions? I never thought I'd say this, but I'd love to go back to waking twice a night.

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:13:13 am »
ok well sorry if you have mentioned this already but is lo bf or ff?? it really does sound as if something is not agreeing with his tummy ... from my experience anyway.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 18:35:49 pm »
He is bf. I think we are just starting to figure out what is wrong. When we switched to 4 hr. easy, I think Josiah tried to make up the 5th daytime feeding at night. He ate more during the day, but apparently not enough. He gets lazy and doesn't like to drain the hindmilk, because of the time/work involved. Yesterday I used expressed milk and let him take as much as he wanted. He drank 9 oz. at the 11:30 feed and 8 oz. at the 3:30! I'm not even making quite that much milk. I'm going to pump after feedings for awhile and give him the extra if he wants it. At 6:30 and 10:00 he also took more than I normally make. He slept better, especially at the beginning of the night, than usual. So, we'll try to keep him full for a few days and see if this irons it out. Thanks for your help so far, Teezee, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 14:26:54 pm »
Wow! That was definitely the problem! I thought he wasn't hungry because he'd take his pacifier and go right back to sleep, but when he was full, he wouldn't wake up in the first place. Since the last post he's been doing better every night. Last night I gave him a bottle with as much as he would take at 6:45, put him to bed at 7:45, then did a dreamfeed with a bottle at 11:00, where he took 5 oz. After that he woke up once at 4:20, breastfed, and went right back to sleep. He woke up for some reason at 6:30, but that time he took the pacifier and calmed right back down. Then he slept till a little past 8:00! I find it ironic that after getting so much sleep, he slept later than ever. Well, we have 4 mo. shots, teething, and rolling over just around the corner, but at least we have one dilemma solved. Thanks a lot for your help, and I hope this can help others, too.

Offline teezee

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 15:23:26 pm »
can you try even giving his bottle almost right before bed? or just closer to bedtime - like right before the bedtiem routine? that may help even more...

congrats on your achievements!! way to go!! hope things continue to move forward!  :D :D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline josiahsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pittsqueak
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 17:37:32 pm »
Thanks, Teezee. We actually are trying to move that feed later, but I'm afraid that as soon as ds wakes up, eating is his only goal. I can usually distract him for 15 min to a half hour, but he goes downhill quickly after that. We'll keep trying and see what happens, but for now, I guess I'd better just be happy with this progress.  :)