Author Topic: Finger foods vs mashed/lumpy for 8 mos old  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Finger foods vs mashed/lumpy for 8 mos old
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:29 pm »
Wondering after reading a bunch of posts, Madelaine loves to pick up everything and eat it with her fingers. However, I'm a real anxious momma about choking. I'm a bit unsure about how to give her things such as peas, corn, beans without lumpy mashing. I'd rather steam it and cut into small pieces. Can I do that? i've given her bits of my corn after I flattened the kernel. Will she choke on such a small piece? Is this the size I should cut beans into? or bigger? I figured if it were smaller there would be less chance of choking as it could pass through her esophagus. How do you put potatoes into finger foods? She eats both but I would like her to eat more of her own food. Breakfast is cereal and fruit but how do you make fruit into a finger food? HELP please --anxious momma!  ;D
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
Re: Finger foods vs mashed/lumpy for 8 mos old
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:51:39 pm »
Hi!

I posted a similar question a few weeks back and have been experimenting since then.  What I've found (to my amazement!) is that the babies seem to have a built-in ability to decide if something is likely to make them choke and they tend to "bite" something in two if the piece is too big or they just thrust it out of their mouths altogether.  That's not to say I don't watch them like a hawk for signs of distress or godforbid choking but thought I'd mention it - seeing it set my mind at ease. 

Finger foods that seem to be working for us:  toast cut into strips (crust removed)...if I put something on it like cream cheese I make it into a little sandwich or I find they don't like to touch the "goo".  :)

For peas, I know you're supposed to smoosh them.  Beans...it depends on the bean.  Do you mean green beans?  Corn...I believe I read that 8 months is too young for corn but maybe someone else can confirm that?

For fruit, what's been suggested to me is making it into pieces large enough to pick up with the palm-grip since at 8 months they don't have the pincer thing figured out.  Coat it in ground up Cheerios or wheat germ so they can get a grip on slippery pieces.   Make sure the fruit is REALLY ripe so that when they put the chunk up to their mouths they can gum a piece off easily.

Good luck!!
Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lola

• Missy M's Mama
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:59:07 pm »
thanks, that's brilliant. i wouldn't have thought to rollit in cheerios. She eats toddler nutrios now and LOVES them. I saw baby "commercial" creamed corn as stage 1 so i will assume it is okay. I haven't heard otherwise...she loves it so I've gone for it! LOL
Yes, I meant green beans. Are they allowed to have other beans? I will have to read through more posts. Last thing Missy M needs is more gas LOL
I think I know what you mean about the built-in ability. I have noted that she will gag a bit if it gets too far back and she isn't ready for it to go down. they are amazing aren't they :)
Toast is a good idea but can she have a grain bread? I don't buy white..but I can..
Thanks for tips, I will keep on reading :)

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 13:07:57 pm »
Hey Lola,

I think maybe what I read about corn was that the kernels could be a choking hazard.  Probably smooshing the kernels would be fine?  In terms of beans, my guys have lentils (though they don't like them too much!) but they're still pureed.  I believe they can have different sorts of beans from 8 months on (according to Super Baby Food book).  For green beans, I haven't tried them yet as finger foods but i would guess if you cook them really well then your LO could hold it like a french fry and eat it like that.  For toast, I give mine whole wheat (I know you're not supposed to give wheat for a while but this is one rule I broke...couldn't find bread without wheat in it anywhere!)

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 13:35:54 pm »
Corn can be a high allergen and can cause digestive problems, according to Super Baby Food.  They recommend, in this book, to wait until 18 months.
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Lola

• Missy M's Mama
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 14:26:43 pm »
Ok, I missed the conflict with that one. But she has had a couple of jars now and a few kernels. Should I not give it to her again until 18 months or bc she was fine, is it okay to continue to give it? What do you think?

Offline RachelC

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 14:39:05 pm »
Lola,
If she appears fine, I would continue, just watch very carefully for any type of reaction.  One of the other moms on another thread discovered a really bad diaper rash and she traced it back to the corn.  Just keep it in mind.  Again, Super Baby Food is only one opinion.  Annabel Karmel has a recipe with corn for 6-9 months.
~Rachel

Offline Lola

• Missy M's Mama
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 14:46:57 pm »
Thanks Rachel. The conflicting opinions of all books can be very confusing! I can't keep what straight.
thanks again.
L

Offline Lola

• Missy M's Mama
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 16:19:26 pm »
Sarah-Thank YOU!
I just nuked an apple, cut it into pieces and rolled it into crushed Nutrios! She loves it :)
Brilliant :)
If I knew how to send you a thank you appreciation, i would :)

Offline RachelC

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 16:22:39 pm »
Lola,
Next to everyone's name is a thank you button... just click that  ;D
~Rachel

Offline Lola

• Missy M's Mama
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 16:38:07 pm »
You guys are great. I'm laughing my head off as my lo sits covered in bits of cheerios and apple  ;D