Author Topic: 13 month old still having 5am bottle  (Read 1859 times)

Offline joshiesmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:10:41 am »
My son is 13 months old and has slept 10 hours straight since 5 weeks old (lucky i know) However he still wakes for a bottle after this time and then goes back down for anouther two hours. I have always been ok with this however i feel now that he is old enough to start dropping some milk feeds. Here is his day love to hear any thoughts!
Wake 7.30 - 8.00am
Breakfast  - 8.30am
Morning tea - 10.00am
Lunch  - 11.30
Bottle - 12.30
Nap  - 1.00pm - 3.30pm
Afternoon tea  - 4.00pm
Dinner - 5.30pm
Bottle  - 7.00pm
Bath and bed   - 7.30 - 8.00pm
Wakes approx ten hours 5.00 - 600am Bottle

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 19:14:11 pm »
Just a question - HAve you ever tried anything other than a bottle at that time to get him back to sleep?  I don't know if I would change such a great thing, espically if he goes right back to sleep afterwards - and it's late enough in his sleep I feel to treat it as not a night feed??  I'm puzzled!  Have you ever tried a little earlier to bed with a big snack/bottle before bed?  We give our son a snack and bottle after his bath (usually crackers/toast) then brush teeth and off to bed.  I must say that he only sleeps one hour more than yours (11hours) but I find he never wakes too early and doesn't wake hungry.  I will keep thinking.

Offline joshiesmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 22:46:37 pm »
Thanks for the reply!
I dont think there is much else i can try when he wakes as he doesnt have a dummy. when he was on formula i made it weeker over a week and he did start to strech out and wake at seven. Is it ok to mix water with cows milk? I also used to give him his bottle right before sleep however i changed it so i could brush his teeth. I think i might try a late snack though as milk doesn't seem to fill him up as much now. I have tried putting him to bed at around seven and he still wakes after about the same time so four instead of five. Maybe thats just how long he can go without food, as i know he can resettle himself as i often hear him through the night. Do you think he will just strech out as he gets older?

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 18:52:05 pm »
I know you can mix water with milk, so you could try watering it down until it's gone.  It might just be his time clock.  Like I said, my son is an 11 hour - no longer sleeper.  He might grow out of it??  Honestly, if he settles right after and you get to go back to bed for a few more hours, if it was me, I would probably just let it go  :)

Offline joshiesmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:33:29 am »
Well we had a bit of a break through! ;D yesterday two molars cut which i think gave him a bit of relief as they have been boldging in the gums for ages and he slept through 8.00pm - 7.00am not a peep yay! i think i will take your advice and just go with the flow with milk feeds. Just wondering how old your little one is?

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 17:09:48 pm »
Thanks for asking.  He's well!  We have really been working on getting him down to sleep easily and on his own - fingers crossed - we are there.  He will go to bed at 7:30pm-6:30am - with rarely ever waking  :)  There are some earlier mornings but I think that's the birds in our neighborhood (lots and noisy).  He still has 2 naps and will now go down easily (within 10 min. with a little crying) but he still only naps for 40min. each time, sometimes longer in the afternoon.  He has never been a long napper but just being able to put him down without too much fuss has made all the difference.  He will be 16 months on the 17th - time flies!!
Thanks again for asking. :)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 13 month old still having 5am bottle
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:53:51 am »
Hey Joshies mom my ds is now 22 months old and he still does the same. He can't hold on for more than 10 hours with an empty stomach so i just go into his room at the 930 hour mark and in his sleep i pop the bottle (which he drains) so technically he doesnt wake for the milk.If i dont do this, he'll wake at the 945 hours of sleep cranky and hungry and will not go back to sleep.

Im ok with it, my ped told me that refluxer kids (which my ds was and i think still is on some days) have trouble keeping empty stomachs. Also, it is ok when toddlers under the age of 3 can only hold on for 8 hours without a meal.

So as long as it's not a trouble for you, i wouldn't worry too much. Some kids just want their milk!  ;)
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline joshiesmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 03:36:50 am »
Thanks for the reply
My son also had reflux so maybe your right and that is the problem . I was just unsure about his milk intake as he is still on three bottles a day. i think i might cut out the lunch time one as he really is a big eater so i dont think he needs it thanks again.